Indy should/shouldn't have ______________.

Goodeknight

We all love Indy, but he's not perfect.

What do you think he should have done differently? What was a bad call?

Here's mine for starters:

Indy shouldn't have had Short Round drive the getaway car.

He's sort of Shorty's foster father, and he really put him in peril. He knew it was coming, too. Mohan had a gun, and Indy had already chopped off one of Lao Che's son's fingers. There was sure to be danger. So, who better to drive the getaway car than an orphan with blocks tied to his feet?? He was really risking the kid's life.

kongisking

Honestly, I'm still rather bugged by how nonchalantly he killed off the Cairo Swordsman. I know, I know, it's an iconic character-defining moment and a huge laugh as well, but it's still rather unfair of him. I would have much rather seen the originally-planned whip VS sword duel (more whip action, please!).

And no, I am not Spielberg OR Lucas. :rolleyes:

Goodeknight

kongisking said:
Honestly, I'm still rather bugged by how nonchalantly he killed off the Cairo Swordsman. I know, I know, it's an iconic character-defining moment and a huge laugh as well, but it's still rather unfair of him.
Yes, iconic scene, but just a tad rough on the big guy. Indy's life was certainly threatened, so it was clearly self defense. But at that close range, it would have been pretty easy to wound him and keep rolling.

Montana Smith

kongisking said:
Honestly, I'm still rather bugged by how nonchalantly he killed off the Cairo Swordsman. I know, I know, it's an iconic character-defining moment and a huge laugh as well, but it's still rather unfair of him. I would have much rather seen the originally-planned whip VS sword duel (more whip action, please!).

And no, I am not Spielberg OR Lucas. :rolleyes:

Indy had more important things on his mind at the time. No time to muck about with the posing swordsman!

Indy shouldn't have got involved with Shorty at all. Should have left the annoying brat as soon as he'd recovered his wallet.

goodeknight said:
Mohan had a gun,

Just as well Indy did have another getaway driver, since Wu-Han got killed in the club.

Goodeknight

Montana Smith said:
Just as well Indy did have another getaway driver, since Wu-Han got killed in the club.

So, was Wu-Han (my mistake with Mohan) supposed to drive the getaway car? I never realized that. Guess Shorty was pretty resourceful and came up with the idea of tying blocks on his feet himself. (After all, an adult would probably have tied the blocks to the pedals, not the feet. Duh.)

Of course, Indy didn't seem at all surprised that Short Round was driving. Maybe it was all part of the plan.

Indy: "Okay kid, if Wu-Han here gets killed or left behind, it's up to you to get us outta here."
SR: "Okie dokie, Dr. Jones!"

Stoo

goodeknight said:
Of course, Indy didn't seem at all surprised that Short Round was driving. Maybe it was all part of the plan.
You should read the novel, goodeknight. It was part of the plan since Shorty is the one who stole the car in the 1st place.:)

Goodeknight

Indy shouldn't have left the whip hanging where Satipo could grab it first.

No foresight about Satipo's betrayal is necessary. Indy hadn't been in the temple before, so didn't know whether he'd need the whip again. No problem just to do another wrap and swing back over it. And if he'd taken it, then he wouldn't have been faced with, "Throw me the idol. I throw you the whip."

Bad call on Indy's part. And betrayal was obviously possible, since he'd just whipped the gun out of Barranca's hand.

Stoo

goodeknight said:
Indy shouldn't have left the whip hanging where Satipo could grab it first.
Stupid Indy. If he had been smarter and taken the whip with him, Indy would've robbed us of a classic, suspenseful, movie moment.

Montana Smith

Stoo said:
You should read the novel, goodeknight. It was part of the plan since Shorty is the one who stole the car in the 1st place.:)

Yes, there's a nice bit of Shorty back-story - including how he steals the car from the garage of a guy who's on holiday. If I remember correctly, he'd already taken it on previous occasions, and returned it.

DiscoLad

Maybe if Indy wasn't a cluts and hadn't fallen into a pit of snakes early on in life, maybe he wouldn't be deathly afraid of the suckers. :p

AgentBelloq

Indy should have definatly listened to his father about Elsa.

Why would you not listen to your father when he says that you should'nt trust her.

Goodeknight

AgentBelloq said:
Indy should have definatly listened to his father about Elsa.

Why would you not listen to your father when he says that you should'nt trust her.
Good point. Even though they were rather estranged, you'd think Indy would still consider his own scholarly father a credible source.

Montana Smith

goodeknight said:
Good point. Even though they were rather estranged, you'd think Indy would still consider his own scholarly father a credible source.

What son would listen to their father...

202.jpg

AgentBelloq

EgyptianPharaoh said:
He should of have went in the left tunnel...:)

Good point there, even though Shorty was shouting "the left tunnel" at the top of his voice.

Maybe he just chose to ignore him because he was annoying him.:p

AgentBelloq said:
Good point there, even though Shorty was shouting "the left tunnel" at the top of his voice.

Maybe he just chose to ignore him because he was annoying him.:p
Yea...as if he was just a squeeky noise in the background..:D