Indy V's Potential Box Office Haul

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
There's a beauty to anticipating things and having them spaced out.
It's been a weak fall. Look at overall gross. Just last decade, some people picked a feature every week. Instead of waiting for the studios to blow your skirt up just right, exhibitors would be thrilled if people up and went to a non-Instagrammable event.

British Raider

Too much of everything. Too much Marvel, too much Star Wars. There's a beauty to anticipating things and having them spaced out. We have had three actors play Batman in the last year and a half and have had four Jokers in the last 15 years.
Well it seems that way but it actually didn’t impact the Batman or Joker box office which were both sizeable hits. It just seems people are becoming more choosey.

fedoraboy

Well it seems that way but it actually didn’t impact the Batman or Joker box office which were both sizeable hits. It just seems people are becoming more choosey.
Yes, and both those films positioned themselves as being something quite different to the usual Marvel/DC fare. I think there's still an appetite for superheroes if they can be done in a truly original and unexpected way, there's just a banal samey-ness to much of the recent Marvel/DC output, even when the films have been really good they've rarely been surprising.

Dr.Jonesy

Well it seems that way but it actually didn’t impact the Batman or Joker box office which were both sizeable hits.
Joker was in 2019 - the same year comic book films were at a box office peak with Avengers: Endgame.

The Batman did 'good' at $770M - but it was a crawl to get there.

But it wasn't as huge as WB were hoping considering Minions: Rise of Gru, Wakanda Forever, Top Gun: Maverick, Jurassic World: Dominion, and Avatar: The Way of Water were way bigger hits.

This is freaking Batman. He hasn't had a solo film not hit $1B since 2005.

I really am not sure if the sequel will do better. This Batman is a bit too niche for crossover mainstream hugeness, I feel.

British Raider

Yes, and both those films positioned themselves as being something quite different to the usual Marvel/DC fare.
Perhaps the writing has been on the wall for some time.

Joker was in 2019 - the same year comic book films were at a box office peak with Avengers: Endgame.

The Batman did 'good' at $770M - but it was a crawl to get there.

But it wasn't as huge as WB were hoping considering Minions: Rise of Gru, Wakanda Forever, Top Gun: Maverick, Jurassic World: Dominion, and Avatar: The Way of Water were way bigger hits.

This is freaking Batman. He hasn't had a solo film not hit $1B since 2005.

I really am not sure if the sequel will do better. This Batman is a bit too niche for crossover mainstream hugeness, I feel.
I was surprised the Batman made even that much. The only times Batman made a billion it’s usually when it garners a certain amount of cultural momentum, so adjusted for inflation we’re talking Batman 1989, Dark Knight and Dark Knight Rises. The Batman had a lot working against mass appeal and interest but I’d say exceeded itself. Batman V Superman on paper seems the more obvious billion dollar breaker.

Last edited:

FordFan

$700m for a Batman movie isn't strong. But I blame the movie itself. I thought it was great, but I was in no hurry to see it again and I don't think a lot of other people were either. 3 hours long and with next-to-zero levity to contrast the darkness.

Dr.Jonesy

$700m for a Batman movie isn't strong. But I blame the movie itself. I thought it was great, but I was in no hurry to see it again and I don't think a lot of other people were either. 3 hours long and with next-to-zero levity to contrast the darkness.
Reluctantly agree.

British Raider

And yet made more than Returns, Forever, Batman & Robin, Batman Begins adjusted for inflation. Problem is inflating budgets and the fact the Christopher Nolan Dark Knights were anomaly. It did the rare thing and crossed over to non-superhero, non-Batman people who wouldn’t normally watch one. But I guess this is the big hole Hollywood has dug for themselves.

Last edited:

LB Makes Stuff

Here’s my thing with trailer music (especially for DoD):
The score had been mostly recorded by the time that first trailer was leaked. But it’s a teaser, so I get why not. Then, in February, we got the Super Bowl ad. That ad has John Williams’ music 100% based on the fact that the orchestra sounds real, they used the DoD recording of the March, and it sounds like how Williams writes suspense music. Why not stick with Williams music for the rest of the trailers? Sessions were completed in February after all, and there seemed to be no problem for that SB ad. Just inconsistent as hell on the marketing department.

Grizzlor

Wow, that's SOME response from Mangold, so forthright! I think his responses should be on the thread for posterity.

1. “There’s nothing I can do about how much a movie is going to make worldwide in a window of four weeks... other than [interviews] like this ... Our grosses were very much in keeping with other films of similar ilk this last summer and none of them featured a hero who was both Harrison’s age and also was a franchise that had been dormant for 20 years.”

--This was the point many of us made regarding the film. It was a very tough landscape for this aged property to succeed in.

2. Mangold recalled, and maybe pined for, the days of Starlog and Cinefantastique, when film reporting “was about what people liked and didn’t like and what inspired them.” However, he admitted, “At some point, everything became the Wall Street Journal.” Now box office numbers are treated as the end-all be-all of a film’s success when history has made it very clear that is not always the case.

--
A brilliant take, and sadly the way of the film world these days thanks to Marvel, ironically.

3. “A lot of what expectations are based on is also what movies cost,” he said. “And I think it’s not just true of our film, but others. We made these films during a time of covid. In the case of Indy, they had already been prepping a different movie and had spent a lot of money before we even started. And so it’s just hard to make large-scale movies when world travel was decreased and you could be shut down at any moment by one person in your crew testing positive. And I thought it was heroic of all the studios to keep pushing on and making these pictures despite that, even though they were all costing 20 or 30% more than they would have if they had been made at another time.” This, of course, is rarely mentioned when lamenting the box office grosses of films today but Mangold understands. “Because it hurts the story,” he said. “Why get involved in those nuances?”

--Again, we all know COVID inflated these costs quite a bit. Let's say this film was closer to the 30% mark, then might the non-pandemic budget have been closer to $200 million? That's more in line with what many argued the film should have cost. is it not?

--The second point is NEW, that the studio was "prepping a different movie," which I infer was the Spielberg-led Koepp script? I didn't realize how far they may have been along on that one, but I suppose whatever work had been done would have further ballooned the eventually budget.

fedoraboy

--The second point is NEW, that the studio was "prepping a different movie," which I infer was the Spielberg-led Koepp script? I didn't realize how far they may have been along on that one, but I suppose whatever work had been done would have further ballooned the eventually budget.
Yes, that is really interesting. I remember some interviews with Ford early in 2020 (he was doing the rounds for Call of the Wild, I think) and he made a couple of statements along the lines of "We start filming Indy 5 in a couple of months." Of course, a month or so later Spielberg dropped out, then COVID happened and the whole thing got pushed back, but it struck me as odd that Ford seemed to think they were all set to go and then things suddenly seemed to change - maybe Spielberg's departure was quite unexpected by everyone, maybe they were well into pre-production on a Koepp script?

Then again, didn't PWB say she'd seen a script (or a partial script?) BEFORE Covid (so this would be about the same time as Spielberg officially exited), according to Mangold, PWB was his idea, so was he already secretly onboard as early as early 2020? It's all a bit sketchy - that's why we need a proper making of book to get this all properly pinned down!

Grizzlor

Well, pre-production began in 2016, but the shoot was delayed multiple times. First a year as Spielberg worked on other films, then when they couldn't finalize the Koepp script in 2018, and hired J. Kasdan. Kasdan left in mid-2019, and Koepp wrote a second script. Spielberg finally balked in early 2020 when they hadn't an approved script. Now, how much money was spent in the four years that preceded Mangold's May 2020 hire? I doubt it was that much in the greater scale. You're paying two writers, one of them twice, plus the staff LucasFilm had devoted to the early workers. Maybe a few million a year?

IndianaBones

Mangold is totally right here. There are plenty of films which I love that have flopped, but I don’t take that into consideration when watching the film nor does that have any affect on me enjoying it or not. Now a days, alot of people rate movies based on their box office, as if it’s a team

Anyways, and I know this means very little, but did anyone see the box office subreddits reaction to James statement on this? It’s so funny seeing how mad these boxoffice armchair analysts can be when someone totally dismisses them while using actual reasoning. They’re really painting James up to be this bad guy snooty filmmaker whose film was too corporate, which I don’t get from his quote or the movie itself at all- but that’s Redditors for you.

Indy flopping wasn’t totally an exclusive thing considering other sequels to big franchises like Mission Impossible (which its new film that got amazing and even better reviews than Dial) also flopped hard as well.

British Raider

Despite the phenomenon that Barbenheimer was it doesn’t feel as if it’s translated to home in quite the same way. I guess things have changed, but remember when say Jurassic Park was huge and then it became the fifth best selling VHS ever. DoD might have been weak at the cinema but seems just as strong as those titles at home. I would like to see more figures on this for comparison sake.

Spiked

Let's say Harrison was ten years younger and all involved wanted to do a follow up Indy movie (#6) would it get the greenlight?