Is Marion a Drunk?

Johan

Her first appearance she's in a drinking contest. Then when she's in the tent with Belloq she asks "what do you have to drink around here", at the end of the movie she asks Indy "Wanna go for a drink?"
If this is the case and Marion had Indy's child...hope "Shila LaBouf" doesn't play a kid with FAS.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
I considered this... but I think she can get back on the wagon at will. If she was knocked up it's possible she didn't know for up to a month, during which it's not likely she harmed the blastocyst. After a drink with Jones and maybe more in DC, I assume she returned to Chicago, and her childhood home if there still was one. Maybe she jumped on and married another guy right away, who doesn't know he's raising Indy's spawn.

I wouldnt call Marion a drunk,because she never really was stumbling down drunk.Actually every time she was drinking she was trying to fool the ones around her into thinking that she was drunk and incapable of either continuing to drink or escaping from the tent. Its actually a nifty trick,the Shaolin monks from china had a martial art system called drunk boxing,the idea was that the opponent would assume that you are wasted and easy to fight,but then out of a stumbling swerve would come a supremely focused kick to the opponents noggin. Karen Allen was chosen for the role because Spielberg liked her in "Animal House" which is not a sober flick,she was "fiesty"he said. From the girls that I have dated the Fiesty ones could always drink more and were more fun to bring along on adventures,while some of my past girlfriends that were goody good and spoiled like Willy could never hold their liquor and were the ones that would actually get fall down drunk. I think Marion was an experienced drinker,her liver was conditioned for it so it did not take hold of her in the form of abuse. Plus usually drunks cant run their own business and save the world at the same time.:)

HovitosKing

There's a big difference between being a drinker (regardless of volume) and being a drunk. She didn't exhibit the signs of a drunk, merely a drinker. Cheers!

Baron Brunwald

HovitosKing said:
There's a big difference between being a drinker (regardless of volume) and being a drunk. She didn't exhibit the signs of a drunk, merely a drinker. Cheers!

I agree. Merely a drinker.

Johan

ok then let's rephrase... Alcoholic... I mean she surrounds herself with booze everyday. Heck even in the gun fight she took a swipe the hard stuff pewing from a keg.

Baron Brunwald

IndyJohan said:
ok then let's rephrase... Alcoholic... I mean she surrounds herself with booze everyday. Heck even in the gun fight she took a swipe the hard stuff pewing from a keg.

Yeah, but she's never drunk in public or anything. So I don't know. I don't think she's addicted to alcohol, she just enjoys it.

HovitosKing

Alcoholism is a disease which renders the afflicted incapable of functioning in a normal capacity and affects the individual's quality of life. I don't think either of these is true for Marion.

Johan

Personally I would define it as a "dependace" on alcohol...whether that be for social activity, relaxation, or physical dependance (headaches ect...)

IAdventurer01

IndyJohan said:
I mean she surrounds herself with booze everyday.

:gun: She owns a BAR!

I agree with the drinker sentiments. She obviously enjoys it, and has a hearty tolerance - as evidenced by the drinking contest. But alcohol doesn't seem to consume her. When she drinks with Belloq, its so she can attempt an escape - not to drink, but as a strategy. At the end of the film, I see nothing wrong with her offering to have a social drink with Dr. Jones.

Thus, I believe that she is a drinker, not an alcoholic.

Johan

I'm not saying she is...I'm just posing the question...I'd like to see how she is potrayed (if at all) in Indy 4

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
IAdventurer01 said:
:gun: She owns a BAR!

I agree with the drinker sentiments. She obviously enjoys it, and has a hearty tolerance - as evidenced by the drinking contest. But alcohol doesn't seem to consume her. When she drinks with Belloq, its so she can attempt an escape - not to drink, but as a strategy. At the end of the film, I see nothing wrong with her offering to have a social drink with Dr. Jones.

Thus, I believe that she is a drinker, not an alcoholic.

Agreed. Besides, Indy was pretty damn depressed at the end so she did what she thought was best, offer a drink. Besides, I see Indy as the one who's more than likely to get plastered. He did a couple of times in the TV series.

XMarksTheSpot

I can't help but wonder that if Marion was a man people wouldn't be questioning if she was a drunk or not. lol

Like someone stated earlier, the woman owns a bar. She obviously grew accustomed to being around that type of scene, and just because she can handle her liquor doesn't mean she is a drunk.

As everyone stated before, I too think she just enjoys it. She can obviously function without it, and we know she doesn't have problems holding down a job, so I think its safe to say that she isn't an alcoholic. :D

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
XMarksTheSpot said:
I can't help but wonder that if Marion was a man people wouldn't be questioning if she was a drunk or not. lol

Remember this is a male dominated forum. You know, patriachal society... oh never mind. :p Besides at least in Australia, it's pretty safe to assume that every guy is an alcoholic at some point. :)