Is the Ark real?

I was never any good at history at school, but the Ark is a real thing, right? Is the person who found it anything like Indy in real life? How cool would it be if they looked just like Harrison Ford? Wow.

Where can I go see the Ark? have you seen it?

Travis85

I think the Bible mentions that the Ark was actually taken to Heaven at some point. So if you look at it from a Biblical perspective, the ark wouldn't even still be on earth.

Snap

Having grown up going to Catholic schools, I know my fair share of the ark I suppose.
One of my favorite stories about the ark in the bible was when Israel was attacking Jericho. God ordered that the Ark be carried around the city for seven days. The walls then crumbled with the sound of trumpets and the shouts of people.

You would get the most reliable info on the ark here
http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/01721a.htm
Or in the Catechism of the Catholic Church

The_Raiders

Travis85 said:
I think the Bible mentions that the Ark was actually taken to Heaven at some point. So if you look at it from a Biblical perspective, the ark wouldn't even still be on earth.

It says that the Ark was taken to heaven? I didn't know that. But if it's still on earth I don't think anyones found it. But I heard this interesting story before, I'll try to tell it the way I heard it so it might not be as accurate becaue I'm only going on what I remember hearing.

There was a Christian archeologist quit a while ago I think (I know he's dead now) but he claims he know's or knew where the ark was. I think he found the holes in the ground where the 3 crosses were during Jesus's crusifixen, and there was a chamber under grounf, under the holes (I hope I'm telling this where it makes sense) so he and his assistant went in the chamber, and were goin trough there when they noticed an opening that lead to a smaller chamber, now the archeologist was a little to big if you know what Im ean to fit in the entrence so he snet his assistant in there, he was waiting and was coaught by supirse when his assistant just came dashing out of the chamber, ran outa the first chamber, and just kept running, when they finaly coaght up to him he was so terrified he couldn't even say or explai waht it was that frightened him, the archeologist died a few years later, I have no idea waht heppened to his partner. But he said tat's where the ark was.

Last edited:

Niteshade007

replican't said:
Nobody's really answered my question yet - is it real? Where can I go see it? Is it in a museum somewhere?

1. I don't know. If I find it, I'll tell you.
2. In Raiders of the Lost Ark. Other than that, your guess is as good as anybody's.
3. No.

Clear it up for you?

Niteshade007 said:
1. I don't know. If I find it, I'll tell you.
2. In Raiders of the Lost Ark. Other than that, your guess is as good as anybody's.
3. No.

Clear it up for you?

Thanks. Thats a real bummer, I figured it had been found, like Tutenkarmun.

What about the Sankara stones? Are they real?

Ska

Don't take offense to this, but are you being serious? Sarcasm is hard to spot sometimes...and other times seriousness can be mistaken for sarcasm.

That being said...

The Ark of the Covenant is SUPPOSED to be real...no one's ever found it...although there's a temple in Jerusalem where the Ark is supposed to be located...but no one's allowed in the temple. Go figure. In Christianity, the Ark was the "chest" that held the stone tables that was given to Moses from God with the 10 Commandments on them (as stated in Raiders). There was just a new special on the History Channel called Quest for the Lost Ark...try to catch it...they might play it again.

The Sankara Stones are not real...made up by George Lucas.

And to stay a step ahead of you, the Holy Grail is also supposed to be real...but yet again no one's ever found it. Some say it's the cup that Jesus passed around to his disciples at the Last Supper. Some say it's the cup that caught the blood of Jesus while he was being crucified on the cross. Others say it's both.

The_Raiders

SKAbatula said:
Don't take offense to this, but are you being serious? Sarcasm is hard to spot sometimes...and other times seriousness can be mistaken for sarcasm.

That being said...

The Ark of the Covenant is SUPPOSED to be real...no one's ever found it...although there's a temple in Jerusalem where the Ark is supposed to be located...but no one's allowed in the temple. Go figure. In Christianity, the Ark was the "chest" that held the stone tables that was given to Moses from God with the 10 Commandments on them (as stated in Raiders). There was just a new special on the History Channel called Quest for the Lost Ark...try to catch it...they might play it again.

The Sankara Stones are not real...made up by George Lucas.

And to stay a step ahead of you, the Holy Grail is also supposed to be real...but yet again no one's ever found it. Some say it's the cup that Jesus passed around to his disciples at the Last Supper. Some say it's the cup that caught the blood of Jesus while he was being crucified on the cross. Others say it's both.

When did you see the show on the history channel, sounds interesting. I don't beleive in the holy grail. But the ark was for the jews. Do people know where the temple in Jerusalem is? I wonder if anyone can sneak in and see the ark :rolleyes:

Ska

The show was on either this past Sunday or Monday...120 mins.

By the way, there's a real Well of Souls also.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Well_of_Souls

It's a cave under the Dome of the Rock (Temple Mount) in Jerusalem. Supposedly, the Ark was taken from the Temple Mount through the Well of Souls to Egypt...and then later to Ethiopia.

The actual rock in the Temple Mount is supposedly the first creation from God on Earth.

I'm trying to search the 'Net for the other temple where it's rumored that the Ark is inside, but no one can enter. Haven't found it yet. My memory's fuzzy...

EDIT: Found it! So it isn't in Jerusalem...it's in Ethiopia as the story I posted above about it's escape from the Well of Souls.

Wikipedia said:
The Chapel of the Tablet at the Church of Our Lady Mary of Zion allegedly houses the original Ark of the Covenant.The Ethiopian Orthodox Church in Axum, Ethiopia is the only one in the world that still claims to possess the Ark of the Covenant. According to the Kebra Nagast, after Menelik I had come to Jerusalem to visit his father, King Solomon, his father had given him a copy of the Ark, and had commanded the first-born sons of the elders of his kingdom to travel back to Ethiopia to settle there. However, these Israelites did not want to live away from the presence of the Ark, so they switched the copy with the original and smuggled the Ark out of the country; Menelik only learned that the original was with his group during the journey home. Solomon lost not only the Ark to his son by the Queen of Sheba but the divine favor that went with it.[5]

Although it was once paraded before the town once each year, the object is now kept under constant guard in a "treasury" near the Church of Our Lady Mary of Zion, and only the "Guardian of the Ark" as he refers to himself, is allowed to see it (not even the Patriarch of the Ethiopian Orthodox Church, His Holiness Abuna Paulos, is allowed to view the Ark.)[6].

In a December 2007 article, Smithsonian Magazine detailed a trip to Ethiopia in search of the Ark.[7] Ethiopian Christians have claimed that the ark rests in a chapel in the small town of Aksum after arriving nearly 3,000 years ago. It has been guarded by a succession of virgin monks who, once anointed, are forbidden to set foot outside the chapel grounds until they die. Author Paul Raffaele reached the chapel but was only able to go so far as to meet the guardian. He expressed fear that if he snuck past the guardian the alarm would have been sounded and feared possible harm by the ark itself. He noted that the ark was paraded through the streets during one of the holy ceremonies, but the guardian paid it no attention. (This led Raffaele to presume that the ark on display was one of several false arks rumored to exist.)

EDIT (again): I didn't click Paden's link (post #2 in this thread) before...it talks all about the Ethiopian Orthodox Church and the one and only guardian that watches over the Ark...until he dies...then he is replaced by another. Very interesting.

Last edited:

The_Raiders

Wow, a real Well of The Souls!! That would be so cool if you could go inside!! This is very interesting stuff! (y)

Lao Che Pun

I hate to kill the mood here guys....but wikipedia shouldn't be used as any definitive source.

Wishful thinking and/or funding-starved archaeologists have conveniently found everything from the supposed Noah's Ark to the shroud they wrapped Jesus in.

The bottomline is that as much of a science that religious-based archaeology claims to be....no piece of archaeological evidence that stems from a religiously-oriented historical tale is ever really proven to be worthwhile of archaeological glory.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
LAO CHE said:
I hate to kill the mood here guys....but wikipedia shouldn't be used as any definitive source.

It's not definitive, but it's sure as hell convenient, often good at concise summaries, and has it's own way of editing when need be.

IrishLuck1980

That special that was on the History Channel the other day was horrible. No way, NO WAY, are you going to convince me that if the Ark existed, it was a drum. NO WAY.

IrishLuck1980 said:
That special that was on the History Channel the other day was horrible. No way, NO WAY, are you going to convince me that if the Ark existed, it was a drum. NO WAY.

A drum? That's cool! I wonder if the Holy Grail was actually a bass, and when you put it together with the ark, Jesus came down to earth and partied?