Is the beginning part plausible?

God'sRadio

EvilDevo said:
I think this scene would have worked better if after the town was destroyed... there was no fridge sailing through the air shot and we don't know if Jones lived or died. (However, I loved the mushroom cloud shot... very iconic.)

Then after several slow pans/dissolves of the destruction, flaming boards and rubble are pushed aside by the door of the fridge (now tipped over on it's side and scorched) as Indy crawls out ... his theme music playing slowly.

He's also a bit more beat up... and slightly burnt on one side... his arm maybe. Then just continue on with the post-bomb scrubbing scene as intended. NO GOPHERS. NO SAILING THROUGH THE AIR FOR MILES.

Or, combine the two shots even... Indy crawls out of the fridge with the cloud in the background. Pretty cool I think and a hell of a lot more believable.

Pretty much the scene as written in Saucermen.

Bjorn Heimdall

I think it's sort of funny how all these over the top scenes from Indy 1-3 are pointed out to show why KotCS shouldn't suffer for including something so overdone.

I'd like to think there is a difference. For instance, ToD used to be my least favourite Indy(guess which film just grabbed the last spot) exactly because of those scenes but it still had enough Indy feel and action to counter them. KoTCS is simply one impossible scene after another. Almost like Spielberg was taunting the audience: "You think that was silly? I got something even CRAZIER!":hat:

The first 3 films were good enough for the silly stuff to be forgiven, the fourth one is not.:dead:

Although I didn't hate the film, my review is on page 41 of the user reviews thread.:gun:

carolus magnus

Okay, the scene in TOD when they fall from the plane, inflate a float in mid-air and land on a mountain was silly, but this movie was just obnoxious in some places. I cringe every time I watch the refrigerator scene!! That and the three waterfalls. I think that was my biggest turn-off with this film. The action sequences were blown out of proportion and too exaggerated.

ValenciaGrail

carolus magnus said:
Okay, the scene in TOD when they fall from the plane, inflate a float in mid-air and land on a mountain was silly, but this movie was just obnoxious in some places. I cringe every time I watch the refrigerator scene!! That and the three waterfalls. I think that was my biggest turn-off with this film. The action sequences were blown out of proportion and too exaggerated.

I think a huge missed opportunity in the KOTCS waterfall scenes was a reprise of the TOD line: "That wasn't so bad...was it?"

carolus magnus

Yeah, well, don't get me started on the monkey scene. How would Mutt be able to pace a truck chase by swinging on vines?! Monkeys would never go after moving vehicles and attack people, either. Unless they are those African baboons, those things get nasty apparently.

One aspect I did like, however, is that that monkey is the same species as the one in Raiders. Bad Dates!

Killah|Bee

LoL

I like it so much the first part, it gives a felling that the movie gonna rock...sorry that just go down as the film keeps moving on

jobasha3000

I think its fairly improbable that Indy, a well versed college professor, would mispronounce "nuclear," but he went ahead and did

God'sRadio

fridgecomp031.jpg

invalidrerun

tnswman said:
NO WAY buddy!! I LOVED IT!! I didn't like the Mutt / Jungle stuff until my son turned to me and said that was AWESOME!! Then, The Sword fight / Vine swing fit right in for me :)

I wish ALL of us could have been 19 years younger and seen this movie...I GUARNATEE we would ALL feel like it was the best movie EVER!!

Harrison was Indy in ways tht Indy should have been in TOD & TLC He was a digger, a hero, and a LEARNER!!

I agree, this movie was great, there was no doubt in my mind for a second that I was seeing Indiana Jones on the screen, Harrison played a spot on performance.
I also agree with what you are saying about the 19 years younger part, except I'm only 20 :) I think a lot of people just need to put themselves in the mindset of a kid today seeing what could be their first Indiana Jones film ever, to them, KOTCS may be their favorite movie while the others aren't as much fun.
These movies are all about having fun and going on a globe trotting adventure with a kick ass hero.

Forrestal1972

jobasha3000 said:
I think its fairly improbable that Indy, a well versed college professor, would mispronounce "nuclear," but he went ahead and did
He mispronounced Nuclear and said wubbulya. Maybe he could take over after Bush.

SixKadamHigh

C'MON PEOPLE!!!

Its an INDIANA JONES movie!

It totally works. I like how it kind of makes the shift from the 30's serials to the 50's B-Movie

No one said it had to be "plausible" or "realistic". Its a movie and Indy at that.

Indy's Fist

SixKadamHigh said:
C'MON PEOPLE!!!

Its an INDIANA JONES movie!

It totally works. I like how it kind of makes the shift from the 30's serials to the 50's B-Movie

No one said it had to be "plausible" or "realistic". Its a movie and Indy at that.
Everything in Raiders was at least plausable. Thanks to TOD and LC and now KOTCS everything became slapstick.

blueoakleyz

Okay I just saw the movie a second time and I didn't catch this but the bomb wasn't dropped literally on the city, it was shown a couple miles at least outside the city so now I think it's entirely plausible.

SixKadamHigh

Indy's Fist said:
Everything in Raiders was at least plausable. Thanks to TOD and LC and now KOTCS everything became slapstick.

Actually thats not true. The whole truck sequence. If they hadn't taken stuff off the bottom and dug a trench, Vic would had have his head torn off, so not plausible in real life. Also, the whole ark of the covenant...

Indy's Fist

blueoakleyz said:
Okay I just saw the movie a second time and I didn't catch this but the bomb wasn't dropped literally on the city, it was shown a couple miles at least outside the city so now I think it's entirely plausible.
Plausable? Please. That fridge would be going about 300 MPH, the door would fly off and Indy would be killed on the first impact. Totally fake.

Indy's Fist

SixKadamHigh said:
Actually thats not true. The whole truck sequence. If they hadn't taken stuff off the bottom and dug a trench, Vic would had have his head torn off, so not plausible in real life. Also, the whole ark of the covenant...
Yeah, but compared to a nuclear explosion? The ark stuff is just god's magic.

blueoakleyz

Indy's Fist said:
Plausable? Please. That fridge would be going about 300 MPH, the door would fly off and Indy would be killed on the first impact. Totally fake.

Plausible by movie standards at least.