James Bond Speaks on Indiana Jones

DrJones35

the following is from mi6.co.uk

The book, due out Nov. 4, also recounts the time Moore bumped into a young Steven Spielberg at a Paris hotel.

"He was a huge Bond fan and said that he would love to direct one of the films," Moore says. "He'd recently had great success with `Jaws' and `Close Encounters' and was considered a very hot property. I was rather excited at this news and went looking for (film producer Albert R. `Cubby' Broccoli) to tell him."

But Broccoli, who steered the Bond franchise over three decades, shook his head and asked, "Do you know how much of a percentage he'd want?"

"It's always been policy that no Bond director ever got a slice of the box office profits," Moore says. "So, Spielberg went off and made `Indiana Jones' who I reckon to be a period James Bond!"

Fate?

DrJones35 said:
the following is from mi6.co.uk

The book, due out Nov. 4, also recounts the time Moore bumped into a young Steven Spielberg at a Paris hotel.

"He was a huge Bond fan and said that he would love to direct one of the films," Moore says. "He'd recently had great success with `Jaws' and `Close Encounters' and was considered a very hot property. I was rather excited at this news and went looking for (film producer Albert R. `Cubby' Broccoli) to tell him."

But Broccoli, who steered the Bond franchise over three decades, shook his head and asked, "Do you know how much of a percentage he'd want?"

"It's always been policy that no Bond director ever got a slice of the box office profits," Moore says. "So, Spielberg went off and made `Indiana Jones' who I reckon to be a period James Bond!"

Fate?

Greed is probably more culpable than fate, in this instance.

Cubby didn't want to share profits, especially after he had managed to dump Harry Saltzman from the Bond franchise and hoard even more of the money for himself. Getting shut out of doing a Bond movie was a motivator for Spielberg doing Indy, though, according to what I've read. Wasn't it after he told George Lucas about not being able to do a Bond movie that George pitched his concept of Indiana Jones (who originally was going to be more of a James Bond type) to Steven?

It's actually a shame Steven didn't get to do a Bond movie, but if it helped him end up doing Indy, I'm not gonna complain.

HovitosKing

DrJones35 said:
"It's always been policy that no Bond director ever got a slice of the box office profits," Moore says.

This is probably why so many Bond films suffer from shoddy directing. What do you care if it's a box office hit or not when you get a flat fee for directing?

Crusade>Raiders

DarthDave said:
I would have enjoyed seeing a Spielberg-directed Bond.

Me too, because if there is one thing I love ALMOST as much as Indiana Jones, its James Bond. And the best director ever doing one of his films would have been great.

Either way, James Bond is awesome without him, and Spielberg not doing Bond got him to do Indy, so even better.