James Mangold...

Nurhachi1991

Nah, if they make Indiana Jones 6 - it'll have been another 15-20 years wait and they'll have to set it in the 1990s.

What I'm trying to say is the satchel is out - the fanny pack will be in.

I want an Indy 6 set in 2023 where Indy and Mutt gotta retrieve the KOTCS fedora back from Kanye West

“Indiana Jones and the Temple of SCOOP!”

The Lone Raider

I want an Indy 6 set in 2023 where Indy and Mutt gotta retrieve the KOTCS fedora back from Kanye West

“Indiana Jones and the Temple of SCOOP!”
Kanye starts channeling an otherworldly power to fight them off through a forbidden chant: "Scoopdity-poopty, whoopty-scoop."

And they just can't beat him because he's harder, better, faster, and stronger than them.

The film ends when Kanye gives the hat back of his own voltion. "You know, I used to want this thang forever, but y'all can have it back."

Nurhachi1991

Kanye starts channeling an otherworldly power to fight them off through a forbidden chant: "Scoopdity-poopty, whoopty-scoop."

And they just can't beat him because he's harder, better, faster, and stronger than them.

The film ends when Kanye gives the hat back of his own voltion. "You know, I used to want this thang forever, but y'all can have it back."

That would be a legendary final moment, imagine the power of the Ark theme starting but suddenly it starts clipping with some dark synth arpeggiation and some thunderous 808’s kick in.

Indy turns to Mutt

“Nobody‘s heard beats this phat for 100 years… Mutt, cover your ears. Don’t listen to it.”

Pale Horse

Staff member
It's a long weekend, and I have read the comments. I will respond in due time to each, but while I'm with extended family I haven't seen in over a decade, I'll just throw this out there.

"Passionate about what?" If what is being reflected to me is "WTF, PH?! The passion is everywhere." I'll counter with, "Fair enough. Is it singularly focused?"

And the Money? It's COVID-19 subsidized and was spent more on the acquisition of talent, than put on the screen. It's 2020s and Jurassic Park CGI still looks better than what we see here. The only thing I credit to the money is de-aging was convincing.

I'm grateful to you all, you're better friends than an uncle on Thanksgiving. I'll have more later. And if this is Dora, call me "Swiper".

Dr.Jonesy

It's 2020s and Jurassic Park CGI still looks better than what we see here.
This is more of a problem of just about all CGI in major films these days.

For what it's worth, the CGI in this film was really solid and pretty good compared to most films I see, these days.

It certainly had better CGI than Kingdom. And 2007-2008 was an era of truly stellar CGI work, too - which gave the 4th film less excuses.

British Raider

This is more of a problem of just about all CGI in major films these days.
CGI isn’t the problem it’s the fact movies are digital now, cinematography doesn’t always make the CGI look as integrated, effects houses are overworked and underpaid etc The CGI in Jurassic Park hasn’t aged that well, it’s just how movies were made back then has in a way, so the effects appear better than they are.

Last edited:

fedoraboy

Outside of a couple of the de-aging moments/shots I can’t think of any poor CGI in the film. Anybody have a specific example?
I agree. And the less convincing de-aging shots aren't really 'poor' - the film was just pushing the technology to its limit - having an actor de-aged during fairly ambitious action sequences and keeping the shots tight on the actor's face, it's not really been done this extensively before, has it?

The film is visually pretty perfect IMO. There's a lot of CGI but it's not 'showy' like in the Transformers or Marvel films etc. The story feels more grounded in reality than Skull - and maybe even Doom and Crusade to some extent - and all the FX are there in service of the story and work pretty flawlessly if you ask me. I can't think of anything that stands out.

fedoraboy

Great little clip with Mangold about his unconscious inspiration for DoD's NY chase sequence (showing the scenes side by side is uncanny!)...

More of the interview here with more comments on the state of the script that he inherited...

“When I came on the movie, they had been playing with a bunch of different things which were basically just reduxes of what had happened in the first movie,” Mangold told io9 over video chat. “Just more apparitions and ghosts and I felt like I was just watching the first movie over again when I envisioned what was in the existing scripts. And I felt like what Steven [Spielberg] and George [Lucas] and Larry Kasdan and David Koepp as well had done successfully in the other films, was to keep kind of pulling up a rock on a different aspect of history and metaphysics and not going back to the same thing. In a way I didn’t want to do the kind of ‘Is it a Death Star again?’”

Forbidden Eye

Great little clip with Mangold about his unconscious inspiration for DoD's NY chase sequence (showing the scenes side by side is uncanny!)...
While it has nothing to do with anything, I found out today he co-wrote Oliver and Company. lol
The thread comes full circle. Heh.

Avilos

Something that is briefly touched on that in thr old days when all discussion was did we like a movie or not. Can not be understated at all.

We have seen it in on here all the time. Fans and audiences perceptions of whether they like a movie or see it as successful are influenced by factors no one outside the business cared about.

I tend to think how my favorite movies are from when I was a kid. I was too young to judge box office or quality of marketing or level of merchandise.

But there is much more going on than nostalgia for youthful ignorance. My parents in the 80s would have no idea of box office success beyond a brief Monday morning notice in newspapers.

My overall point is movies used to only have be movies. To be enjoyed or not. Not a lifestyle that was constantly over analyzed. This goes way beyond Indiana Jones. Every fandom and franchise has become a strange mix of political identity/sports team loyalty/religious fanaticism. Oh and throw in drug addicts. Who are not happy until they get their never ending fix and at exactly their personal preferred dosage and mix.

Spiked

I noticed James Mangold finally changed his twitter header from the McQuarrie Ark illustration to Bob Dylan for his next film. It’s officially over.
His Twitter is lame. He never posted or reposted about the movie, didn't promote it being on streaming or Blu Ray, and for those who say he doesn't have time for that I'm sure he has people. C'mon, man. He quit on the film way too early.