Jones vs. Quatermain vs. O'Connell

Venture

I've found as of late that, when I get the chance to watch movies, I'm really only in the mood for The Trilogy or...um, er *eyes diverted, toe dragging the dirt*...The Mummy and its sequel. I also eagerly anticipate the release of LXG on DVD on Dec. 16. Maybe it's the early 20th century treasure hunter thing. (And for the record, I've always considered Indy more a treasure hunter in the field and a professor of archaeology in the classroom.) But with each character, we have basic elements expounded on in diverse combinations. I personally think a supposed encounter with all three would be interesting at least. O'Connell...brawn. Indy...total package. Quatermain...Indy with a lot more experience. Any comments, with Indy bias assumed and therefore kept to a minimum?

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Well, and this is merely from a literary-type perspective (the one I'm best suited for), I'll eliminate O'Connell from the running for being a late-comer whose quality is not that high, from what I've heard, even if he is Irish.

I'll give Quartermain points for a rich literary tradition, however, I must go with Jones on the basis of his character and experiences being steeped in the lore of the old-time serials and the like.

Venture

apalehorse said:
O'Connell only failed because of his "lines". I feel he compares to Indy marvelously.

Finally, someone agrees with me. Maybe just a bit more inexperienced. It's almost like they are snap shots of the development of one character.

jamie

I dont know what people have against The Mummy. I thought it was a great movie. Just good easy to watch entertainment. I have no problem with O'Connel. I thought he was a good character, some occasional bad dialogue but thats about it. And what does he have in common with Indy apart from being an adventurer in the 30's?
Jim

ElsaFan

It's interesting to note that Alison Doody has shot a remake of King Solomon's Mines this summer in Africa for HBO, with Patrick Swayze playing Allan Quatermain.

Blofeld

What do people have against "The Mummy"(1999)

1. It's characters are a rip-off, a blatant Indy rip-off
2. It also a trendy upgrade of the original Karloff Mummy with none of the skill of other versions of the tale, like Christopher Lee's Mummy
3. Lots of fake looking CGI, FAKE, FAKE, FAKE---compare the Mummy's sets with the Well of the Souls in Raiders, see what I mean...

The best thing about the Mummy series was The Scorpion King, which is actually more in the vein of Robert E. Howard and Edgar Rice Burroughs, an original character in a classic style

Patrick Swayze as Quatermain......YUCK!!! A Quatermain for the Chippendale crowd

ElsaFan

The pictures I saw of him as Quartermain are quite convincing. I'm sure he'll pull it off. But then again you have Doody to save the show, so I'm not worrying!

Webley

ElsaFan said:
The pictures I saw of him as Quartermain are quite convincing. I'm sure he'll pull it off. But then again you have Doody to save the show, so I'm not worrying!
Hay ElsaFan can you post the Quartermain photo you saw.

jamie

Blofeld said:
What do people have against "The Mummy"(1999)

1. It's characters are a rip-off, a blatant Indy rip-off
2. It also a trendy upgrade of the original Karloff Mummy with none of the skill of other versions of the tale, like Christopher Lee's Mummy
3. Lots of fake looking CGI, FAKE, FAKE, FAKE---compare the Mummy's sets with the Well of the Souls in Raiders, see what I mean...
I agree with your second point, the Karloff and Lee movies were better, but they are a totally different type of movie. They were horror movies. The Mummy was more of an action/adventure movie. The movies really have very little in common.
I dont think the characters were that similar to the IJ characters though. O'Connel didnt act that much like Indy. They dont have that much more in common that I can see apart from the fact that they are both 1930's adventurers in a story with some archeaological and supernatural elements. Evelyn is nothing like any of the Indy women, and the mummy is nothing like any of the Indy villains. I dont see any many other similarities between any of the other characters.
I agree with you about the CGI. It was done badly and shouldnt have been used at all.
Jim

Magda

Y'know, of course [nearly] everyone in this message board is going to pick Indy. If you want unbiased results, try posting this thread at a more general forum for movies. ;)

I personally prefer O' Connell in the first Mummy movie.

Webley

ElsaFan said:
Here are some good pictures of Swayze as Quatermain on location in South Africa:What do you guys think?
Not bad I think Swayze is starting to look old but I bet he will make a good Quatermain thanks for showing us the photos ElsaFan. Do you know when it will be on TV?

ElsaFan

When did I say ?It's this summer??

Anyway. No release dates have been announced yet. They are currently in post-production. Like I said, it will be a Hallmark Channel presentation, premiering in the US.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
ElsaFan said:
When did I say ?It's this summer??

Anyway. No release dates have been announced yet. They are currently in post-production. Like I said, it will be a Hallmark Channel presentation, premiering in the US.

You said they filmed it this summer. It was just misunderstood, that's all.

Webley

ElsaFan said:
It's interesting to note that Alison Doody has shot a remake of King Solomon's Mines this summer in Africa for HBO, with Patrick Swayze playing Allan Quatermain.