Just a thought, but if the movie was set in 1958...

fedoraboy

Then there would be the same time between the chronological setting of this movie and the release of Raiders (1958 - 1981 = 23 years) as there would be between the events of Indy 4 and the events of Indy's earliest cinematic adventure (discounting the start of Crusade) Temple of Doom (1935 - 1958 = 23 years).

I don't have any inside info as to if the film will or won't be set in 1958 (I think somewhere between 1952-1958 is a fair bet) but thinking of a 50's setting in this way really brought it home to me just HOW MUCH time has elapsed and just how different Indy's universe will look...

Raiders (1981 - 1958 = 23 years) + Temple of Doom (1958 - 1935 = 23 years) + Last Crusade (1989 - 1966 = 23 years) ÷ 3 + 1 = Indy 4

Can someone please suggest a mathematical formula for calculating exactly how good Indy IV will be? I'm finding it hard to sleep right now for excitement and it would be good to know in advance.

replican't said:
I'm finding it hard to sleep right now for excitement and it would be good to know in advance.

In that case, go to your Doctor and get some meds to calm you down. It worked for me.

You want some numerology to determine the year IJ4 is set in here you go:

Filmed 19 years after Last Crusade (1988-2007) and LC was set in 1938 so by that scenario Indy4 would be in 1957.

Filmed 24 years after Temple of Doom (1983-2007) and TOD was set in 1935 so by that scenario Indy4 would be in 1959.

Filmed 27 years after Raiders of the Lost Ark (1980-2007) and ROTLA was set in 1936 so by that scenario Indy4 would be in 1963.

Filmed 14 years after Ford's cameo in YIJ episode Mystery of the Blues (1993-2007) and that MOTB segment was set in 1950 so by that scenario Indy4 would be in 1964.

I and others have speculated why having IJ4 set in 1962 would make sense and its about at the median of the numbers I just crunched above. 1962 was the year the George Lucas' first successfull film, American Graffiti was set in. Also 1962 was the year of production and realease of Dr. No, the James Bond franchise's and Sean Connery's first 007 film and IJ4 is being filmed in the year 2007.

In addition if Connery's character Henry Jones Sr. is 90 years old in IJ4 and it takes place in 1962 then any person who turned or is turning 90 years old in the year 2007 was born in 1917 which was the same year that John F. Kennedy, the President of the United States in 1962 was born. If someone born in 1917 is still alive today than 1962 would be the midpoint of their lives at this point, 1917+45=1962+45=2007.

Last edited:

Zorg

chicago103 said:
You want some numerology to determine the year IJ4 is set in here you go:

Filmed 19 years after Last Crusade (1988-2007) and LC was set in 1938 so by that scenario Indy4 would be in 1957.

This is all very interesting, but who says Indy must age at the same speed Harrison Ford does? That way the film's setting could very well be even in the early 50's. It would still be about 15 years after the events of LC. Personally I don't think that they'd bring Indy to the 60's.

Concerning where we are today, the 50's is perfectly "period enough" for the modern audience. Think about this way: in the 1980's the 30's were about 50 years in the past. Now we are 50 years away from the 1950's. That way the chronological distance between real time and the film's time would remain the same.

James

My problem with the 50's is that it's a period which has already been explored pretty extensively in films/tv. This wasn't really the case when Raiders came out, and the 30's setting made it seem a little more unique.

I'd rather see Indy 4 set around 1949, on the eve of a new decade and the half century mark. Most audiences probably don't even remember what specific year LC was set anyway. The fact that the war is over and the nazis are no more would likely signal enough of a change to satisfy them.

Chicago! Brilliant numbers-work there! Found it highly entertaining. The thing is, all it really showed was that the Indy character has simply aged inversely to Ford (ROTA to TOD) or at a far slower rate (TOD to LC)... Conclusions to be drawn?? Nada. Except the movie's only hope of not disappointing will be if those involved rely on artistic creativity and spontaneity, rather than the median of any number sequence! However entertaining.

Its a movie people. Age in the "real world" simply isn't THAT important, it just procludes another thirties setting is all.