Karate Kid

I consider Karate Kid as one of the most influential cinematic experiences of my life,right up there with Temple of Doom(never saw Raiders on the big screen) Emerald Forest and Return of the Jedi. Karate Kid inspired me to study martial arts which then led me to study internal martial arts and internal Chinese medicine which is my career today. When I give seminars around the world on Oriental Medicine I never mention the fact that Karate Kid was the catalyst in my pursuit of the divine,yet it was one of the major influences throughout my life.

Lao Che Pun

Karate Kid is one of my favortie films of all time. It's right up there with the Indy films, Star Wars, and Back to the Futures.

I even have a 1986 production Karate Kid II headband framed on my wall.

|ZiR|

"Wax on... wax off." Words to live by, Mr. Miyagi. (R.I.P.)

Truth be told, I've only ever seen the the fourth one with Hilary Swank. It was pretty awesome, though, from what I remember. There was a hawk, and a battle on a rooftop. Fun.

Michael24

Nurhachi1991 said:
Get him a body bag!!!!! YEAH!!!!!!!!

What makes it even better is the look on the kid's face when he yells it. Priceless!

The first KARATE KID is a great movie. Definitely a classic. And beginning of my life-long crush on Elisabeth Shue. (y)

The second one is okay. I like the way it opens right where the first one ended, but Part 3 and THE NEXT KARATE KID I thought were awful.

fixer79

Uncanny... In fact I was thinking of starting a thread about this myself!

I must've seen the first two films a hundred times when I was a kid! So many memories...
I remember having this violent hyperventilation attack when I was about seven or eight. Scared the heck out of me and my parents didn't know what to do... I really thought I was going to die!
What I ended up doing was dash outside to the garden and run circles in the middle of the night, singing the chorus of 'You're the best around' (the song by Joe Esposito at the climax of part one) over and over again... That made it go away.
I never had any attacks of hyperventilation in the twenty years since but if I do, I'll know exactly what I'll have to do ;)

I also had gotten this two-pack of action figures, Myagi and Daniel that came with huge plastic chopsticks (connected like tweezers) with a huge rubber fly tied to it. That way it was easy for little tykes to catch a fly using chopsticks ;)

At one point, they even sold the little handdrums (as seen in part two) in my favourite local theme park. My mom bought me one and regretted it soon after. Drove my family nuts with that ;)

I'm sure I'll remember some more Karate Kid related memories later... :p

Lao Che Pun

fixer79 said:
I also had gotten this two-pack of action figures, Myagi and Daniel that came with huge plastic chopsticks (connected like tweezers) with a huge rubber fly tied to it. That way it was easy for little tykes to catch a fly using chopsticks

Post pics of it, if you still have it...I've never seen those.

The_Raiders

Yeah, I liked that movie, I always liked the "wax on, wax off" lol, my mom is a big fan of that movie, likes it more than me lol:cool:

fixer79

Lao Che Pun said:
Post pics of it, if you still have it...I've never seen those.

I'm not sure if I still have it... I should look in my parents house's attic...

I've looked all over the Internet for a picture but I didn't seem to find it. Not even here:

http://www.virtualtoychest.com/karatekid/karatekid.html

Y'guys should really check this site out though! It's got pictures of all the Karate Kid toys. Well, except the chopsticks Miyagi/Daniel-San double pack.

I wonder if it was a European exclusivity...
Does anyone remember this toy?

Last edited:

Niteshade007

I feel so left out. I've only seen the first Karate Kid once, and I guess it didn't leave much of an impression on me, as I have never felt the need to watch it or the sequels ever again. But in my Article and Essay workshop, someone wrote about a character rubbing his hands together like Mr. Miagi (or whatever his name was), and I didn't get the reference. Everyone else did. Oh well, should have paid more attention.