Kate Capshaw High School Photos

RocketSledFight

Hey,

Posted this in another forum but I thought I would put some pictures up for true Indy geeks who are interested in such a thing. :) Apologize for image quality but my scanner is broken.

My mom and aunt went to Hazelwood high school in St. Louis in the 70s, and were friends with Kate Capshaw. So at the end of Temple of Doom when Willie says that she's headed home to Missouri, she's no liar. :)

Here's some pics from her senior year:

Her name was Nail, apparently, before her first marriage.

I checked in the back to see how much acting experience she had. :p

|ZiR|

I don't know why people haven't posted -- this is really cool! Kate was pretty cute as a teenager. :)

Does your mom have any stories about her you could share? What was she like before her moderate fame? Did they ever suspect she'd go so far?

RocketSledFight

Kate's interesting because as my mom describes her she was just one of those average people that ends up getting married to one of the most powerful men in Hollywood. She lost touch with her after high school but was understandably blown away when all of a sudden she was in Temple. She did have singing aspirations though, but didn't have much acting experience in High school, at least in Hazelwood productions.

Makes me wonder who will end up famous from my graduating class.
:confused:

RocketSledFight

Katarn07 said:
My 6th grade teacher went to high school with Harrison Ford. No joke.

Nice!

George Romero offered me a piece of cherry pie. And last November I shared a sandwich with Demetri Martin. Let's turn this into the random celebrity story thread!

|ZiR|

I met Sean Astin. He was outside a bar/grill place I was leaving and I, being the super smooth man I am, just blurted out "Holy ****! It's the kid from The Goonies!"

He laughed and asked me if I wanted an autograph. I declined. We talked for a few minutes, then he asked if I was sure I did not want an autograph. I felt bad for him so I let him sign my face w/the felt marker he just happened to have with him.

All he wrote was his signature. What a wasted opportunity.

RocketSledFight said:
George Romero offered me a piece of cherry pie.

Did you accept it? I CAN'T SLEEP IF I DON"T KNOW.

RocketSledFight

|ZiR| said:
Did you accept it? I CAN'T SLEEP IF I DON"T KNOW.

Allergic, unfortunately. Here's how it went down (this is at a screening of dawn of the dead and a signing afterward at a penthouse suite in some hotel [random tangent - the image of a couple hundred fans, some in full zombie makeup, hauling at high speed from the theatre to the hotel and clogging up the elevators, scaring the patrons constituted possibly the most hilarious evening of my life])

Me: Oh my god, I'm such a fan, I'm speechless. Thank you for doing what you do.
George: Hey, thanks! I do my best.
Me (Noticing that there are 4 plates of different kinds of pie sitting beside him, none unwrapped): Wow. That's a lot of pie. Are you a fan?
George: God no. I can't eat that kind of stuff and I'm not hungry anyway. They keep bringing me this crap. This is fresh (slides cherry pie plate toward me) Want some? Go for it.
Me (Can't believe it): Allergic. But thank you.

After taking a photograph and getting a poster signed, I realize the error of my ways. A body covered in hives and a trip to the hospital would have been totally worth it. I run to Tom Savini at the next table for support.

Me: Bruce Campbell denied me a hug last year at his book signing. Are you a better man?
Tom: Bruce is a ******. Let's do this thing.

I hugged the man. He showed off his skills with a bullwhip (on youtube, if interested). Best. Night. Ever.

|ZiR|

Tom Savini calling Bruce Campbell a ****** is like the greatest thing I've ever heard. (y) I need to start going to cons so I can have stories like that.

RocketSledFight said:
I'm majorly jealous of your meeting with Astin, btw.

I wish now I'd made up that he was completely drunk and/or groped my ass but he was actually pretty cool. This was post-LOTR, and I was surprised he wasn't offended that I didn't recognize him from that.

He's shorter, very down to Earth, and more attractive in RL, for those who care.

Michael24

|ZiR| said:
Tom Savini calling Bruce Campbell a ****** is like the greatest thing I've ever heard. (y) I need to start going to cons so I can have stories like that.
I've met Bruce Campbell on four separate occasions, but he was on the nicest guys I've ever met at any convention. He even talked to my mom once and she wasn't even in line, but standing nearby waiting to get a picture of us together.

I haven't had any bad celebrity encounters, but my least favorite would probably have to be Stan Winston. I met him at a con in 2001 and he shook my hand, but didn't seem like he wanted to talk or anything, just sign stuff like an assembly like. After he signed the pic I had and slid it back, I picked it up and said "Thanks," but he didn't even look up and just sort of turned to face the next person in line behind me.

RocketSledFight

|ZiR| said:

I wish now I'd made up that he was completely drunk and/or groped my ass but he was actually pretty cool. This was post-LOTR, and I was surprised he wasn't offended that I didn't recognize him from that.

He's shorter, very down to Earth, and more attractive in RL, for those who care.

I'll always and forever associate him with the Goonies before I'd say "Oh, it's the guy from LOTR," so I definitely see where you're coming from.

RocketSledFight

Michael24 said:
I've met Bruce Campbell on four separate occasions, but he was on the nicest guys I've ever met at any convention. He even talked to my mom once and she wasn't even in line, but standing nearby waiting to get a picture of us together.

I haven't had any bad celebrity encounters, but my least favorite would probably have to be Stan Winston. I met him at a con in 2001 and he shook my hand, but didn't seem like he wanted to talk or anything, just sign stuff like an assembly like. After he signed the pic I had and slid it back, I picked it up and said "Thanks," but he didn't even look up and just sort of turned to face the next person in line behind me.

I've met him twice ... and if I ever have the chance to meet him again, I'd jump at the chance. I respect him for loving his fanbase in ways that some people (STAN) don't. I passed up a chance to meet Ray Harryhausen to see Bruce the first time...that's some serious power right there.

Who else has met celebs?
I'd die to meet anybody from the Indiana Jones films, obviously. Steven Spielberg is high on the list, as is Sam Raimi, who I forgive for Spiderman 3. Tom Hanks and Robert De Niro are up there as well.