Kingdom and Raiders Similarities

Perhilion

I realized that there are quite a few similarities between KotCS and RotLA, even if they don't feel the same.

#1. The name. Both have the same number of words (minus the "Indiana Jones" part) and are the longest titles in the series.
#2. The villain. Both Belloq and Spalko are introduced in the beginning and return later. And they both have goofy accents.:p
#3. Government involvement. In both Raiders and Kingdom Indy is the subject of gov't attention.
#4. The classroom. Virtually the same teaching scene is seen (ha) in Raiders and Kingdom, both interrupted by an old British guy.
#5. The commission. Not necessarily exclusive to these two, but in both of them someone offers Indy a job.
#6. Previous history. In Raiders Indy had worked on the Ark with Abner; in Kingdom he mentions being obsessed with the skulls with Oxley.
#7. The "informant". In both movies Indy has to look for someone to help him find the artifact. In both movie that someone is unavailable, so Indy uses what they left behind. In both movies this leads to him meeting Marion.
#8. The artifact. Both the Ark and the Skull are the only potentially dangerous artifacts he goes after. Both are wanted as weapons. Both of them also change hands frequently.
#9. The chase. Both movies involve a long, dangerous vehicle chase in order to get the artifact.
#10. The creepy-crawlies. Raiders and Kingdom are the only movies to have dangerous creatures.
#11. Unearthly beings. Both movies end with beings not from this earth or dimension being brought on by use of the artifact.
#12. Death by curiosity. Both artifacts kill the villains who try to use it, ultimately making Indy's attempts to keep it from them irrelevant.
#13. No evidence. Both artifacts clean up after themselves, in a showy air-borne way, to erase all evidence of anything ever happening.

So whether you like the movie or not, it does have a lot in common with the original. Just thought I'd mention it.

Kernunnos

Aside from some very prominent goofy moments, KOTCS plays a lot straighter than TOD or LC.

One thing that really seperates it from Raiders (apart from the fact that Marion has gone slightly senile) is the lack of really good violence.

I don't want to sound like I'm complaining, because I really did love the movie, but I was very disappionted that we didn't see Indy shoot anybody.

Little Indy

Marion is not senile. She is suffering from the effects of overdrinking. Didn't you see her in Raiders? Man she could put the liquor away. All that drinking, and then I'm sure she really hit the bottle after Indy left her just before they were to get married.

As far as not shooting anyone. I was a little surprised at this also. Two thinks helped ME resolve the issue. First Indy is older, and he can see that he has more years behind him than ahead. He's beginning to see his mortality. So maybe that makes him a little more reluctant. The other is a case concerning a soldier who jumped into Normandy during WWII, and went the entire Normandy campaign, and up to the end of the war without firing his weapon, in combat. So if that guy could go through the war without a shot, then Indy could. Those area what I use to justify it.

Last edited:

Kernunnos

It's a shame that any film with Raiders' level of violence, or even Dooms, will not stand a chance of getting a family rating these days.

I think they could have matched Crusades level though, without damaging the fragile minds of todays deformed generation of impressionable children.