Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - initial impressions and casual discussion

davejames

One other thing: Was anybody else really turned off by the idea of Indy being at the site of the Roswell crash in 1947, and all his anger at the government conspiracy and how he was treated, etc?

I couldn't believe Lucas and Spielberg had Indy sounding like a freakin UFO nut. :rolleyes:

nitzsche

He wasn't a freaking UFO nut at all - not at all.

He was pissed because they dragged him to the crash site which he said was an "air force fiasco" not a UFO and that he was threatened with treason after being jerked around and milked for his professional expertise on a subject they didn't even give him the whole picture on. He saw mutilated remains at a crash site - said nothing of aliens.

He had no idea what was in the crate and he said as much to the FBI.

Vendetta08

I have my gripes but overall, I did enjoy the movie. Not as good as the originals, but counting this is near 20 years later, they did pretty decent. Thanks to George, Steven, and Harrison.

NearlyNormalAnd

The WWII Years of Indy

Just wanted to chime in and agree that having Indy at the Roswell crash was completely absurd and frankly stupid. Just how much of history is the character of Indiana Jones going to be associated with? Honestly! From the outlandish Young Indiana Jones Chronicles, where he met nearly every famous person from that era, to being at Roswell, etc. It's just getting ridiculous at this point. And why was Indy such a name dropper in this film? It sometimes felt like an elaborate commercial for the other Indy products. Remember that time with Pancho Villa? I was half-expecting a pop-up screen showing where and for what price you could buy the first volume of the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles.

What also really, really, REALLY bothered me was that they had Indy working for the O.S.S. during WWII as a spy. C'mon! Indy is a rogue. An individualist. The lone explorer. I can't see him, at that point in his character, ever working full-time for the US Government. With all the time he was missing as a professor, just how did he ever get to be an Asst. Dean?

eomer33

I saw the movie last night. I went into the movie with realistic expectations. I had a feeling that this movie would not hold up to Raiders and Last Crusade. Raiders was new and exciting. You can never compete against the original. It is just like your first love. You will never love another person as the same as the first. Last Crusade had the incredible connection between Harrison and Sean. That kind of connection is so hard to duplicate. I enjoyed Temple of Doom but clearly not as much as the other two.
After the movie finished, my wife turned to me and asked "Well?" I said the movie was really good but not great. I loved alot of parts of the movie from the opening scene, motorcycle chase scene, Marion, Mutt and the references to the what happened to our favorite professor (The OSS was a nice touch) after Crusade.
There were only two things that were a problem for me in the movie. The first was aliens. When it became evident that extraterrestrial beings would have a big influence in the movie, I thought to myself (ALIENS. WHY DID IT HAVE TO BE ALIENS?) :eek: Then I reminded myself, the timeframe in which the movie takes place, the 50s. During that time the red scare and aliens (especially in the b-rated movies) were the focus. With Lucas' and Spielberg's love for movie history, should we really be surprised by the inclusion of the aliens. Did I wish Indy went after another relic? Absolutely but I accepted it for what it was, something for Indy to go after.
Second, the Tarzan scene was odd for me. :confused: That part of the movie could have been left on the editing floor. However, it was a small part of the movie and was quite forgettable. Remember, we do not watch Indy for realism. If you want realistic cinema, watch a documentary.
I was very pleased with the ending scene with the wedding. It was probably expected but it was still nice to see. I was very anxious when Indy's hat blew over to Mutt. I thought to myself "Don't let him pick it up?" To my excitement, Indy picks it up, puts it on and walks off with the girl.
Thanks for another good adventure Indy! It was good to see an old friend again!:hat:

effin

man oh man, I really wish it would've been better. I came in with lowered expectations and don't consider myself a hater. I had no problem with the fridge,mutt,skull premise or even aliens etc. I'm not angry, but I am sad with the way it made me feel. there were aspects I liked a lot but:

it was very soft (indy walkie talkie style)
barely any tension
he almost could've been friends with the russians (villains were not sinister enough)
not cohesive, didn't flow story wise
character arcs should've been more developed

I was the most forgiving out of my friends with the prequels but this one left me a little bummed.

Adamwankenobi

NearlyNormalAnd said:
Just wanted to chime in and agree that having Indy at the Roswell crash was completely absurd and frankly stupid. Just how much of history is the character of Indiana Jones going to be associated with? Honestly! From the outlandish Young Indiana Jones Chronicles, where he met nearly every famous person from that era, to being at Roswell, etc. It's just getting ridiculous at this point. And why was Indy such a name dropper in this film? It sometimes felt like an elaborate commercial for the other Indy products. Remember that time with Pancho Villa? I was half-expecting a pop-up screen showing where and for what price you could buy the first volume of the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles.

What also really, really, REALLY bothered me was that they had Indy working for the O.S.S. during WWII as a spy. C'mon! Indy is a rogue. An individualist. The lone explorer. I can't see him, at that point in his character, ever working full-time for the US Government. With all the time he was missing as a professor, just how did he ever get to be an Asst. Dean?

I have the complete opposite opinion. I had long-hoped that this film would retain some of the feel of YIJC, and it did! I love how it namedrops historical figures and mentions Indy's involvement with WWII and the Roswell incident. There was a lot I didn't like about the film, but this was one thing I did like! (y)

nitzsche

Vendetta08 said:
How did Mutt gain the ability to swing from vines like a monkey at the speed of a moving car?

:eek:

Read what you just wrote there.

How did Mutt gain the ability of a monkey? He evolved with mankind and was conveniently born with opposable thumbs.

LOL!

NearlyNormalAnd

Monkey Powers Activate

How did Mutt gain the ability to swing from vines like a monkey at the speed of a moving car?

Easy. The Disney monkeys conferred their superior vine-swinging powers on Mutt via telepathy, which had the mutual benefit of affording said monkeys knowledge of whom to attack. I assume that after all the shenanigans with the temple and aliens, on the way out Mutt met up again with the monkeys and they fashioned a pretty princess dress out of curtains while singing a grand musical number.

Eric Solo

Vendetta08 said:

:eek:

He took a short cut? (y)

I just saw it for the second time today. It grew on me. I went to see it yesterday hoping I would feel the same way I did as a child watching this stuff for the first time. That's just not realistic. I now think Indy IV is going to be a worthy addition to the trilogy (quadrilogy).

MolaRam2

Vendetta08 said:
For some reason, I feel as if Mummy 3 may be better than this was...

Well, at least the Mummy 3 doesn't have a great legacy to live up to, so that in itself will likely make it better.

Vendetta08

nitzsche said:
Read what you just wrote there.

How did Mutt gain the ability of a monkey? He evolved with mankind and was conveniently born with opposable thumbs.

LOL!

Wrong sir! But decent try, actually it was a bad try but I don't want you to feel bad.

The key words here were at the speed of a moving car. Let's all say it together in greek!

nitzsche

Durgh, birdie-num-num...

He obviously wasn't following them from behind - it was quite clear that he turned and went through the jungle.

"Short cut." "Yes Indy?" "Short CUT!"

ForbiddenEye

NearlyNormalAnd said:

Yeah! Who does he think he is? INDIANA JONES?

Oh wait...

And right on! How dare he not be a loner! That'd be like if he was always traveling with Satipo, Marion or Sallah in Raiders of the lost Ark. Or if, even worse, in Temple of Doom he was stuck with Short Round or that annoying Willie Scott. And THANK goodness in last Crusade his dad, Sallah, Marcus, or Elsa never joined along in his adventures.

THAT would be CRAZY!