Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - initial impressions and casual discussion

Major West

The Golden Idol said:
I'm aware that very few Raveners like this film better than any of the three originals, but is this a worthy addition to the Indy series?

Definitely worthy. No matter how good it might have been would anybody have prefered it to the originals. I doubt it.

Last edited:

davejames

SKAbatula said:
Maybe the movie is too rushed. I think the transitions from scene to scene were poor. Not necessarily an editing problem, but more of a "they needed to film a few more minutes of the current scene before moving on" problem.

I especially noticed this after the Cemetary. The scene was still going in my opinion, and all of a sudden the map and red line came on. It felt a little awkward.

I wonder if maybe Spielberg was actually TRYING to mimick the cheap and poorly edited style of those old 50s B movies...

Which would be a shame. I've been reading that new Making Of Indy book, and their whole philosophy on Raiders was about taking a cheap B movie story and turning it into the most sophisticated and high-quality movie they COULD.

UKIndyFan

Loved the movie but some minor problems

- Shia stuck on two trucks at the same time with his bollocks getting hit by trees? Really, George?! Seriously?

- Neil Flynn needed much more more screen time. He should have played Spalko

- Devchenko getting devoured by ants could have been so much cooler.

- Marion was underused

- Spalkos death was very much an afterthought and could have been much more thrilling visually

Funny little coincidence. Just as the rocket sled came to a halt, I whispered to my friend that Harrison is still in great shape.. and then he stumbled over and fell off the sled :p

DrBeezer

UKIndyFan said:
- Shia stuck on two trucks at the same time with his bollocks getting hit by trees? Really, George?! Seriously?

dick and fart jokes. it's the new Lucasfilm, but more than that, it's the new popculture in general. We'll see "Ow My Balls" on TV before long.

WeAreGoingToDie

Diner Scene

Could anybody tell me what (if anything) Indy and Mutt order at the diner? I'll be having a diner dinner before the movie and want to relive what they eat. Lol. And I'm serious about this too. :whip:

acsgrlie

WeAreGoingToDie said:
Could anybody tell me what (if anything) Indy and Mutt order at the diner? I'll be having a diner dinner before the movie and want to relive what they eat. Lol. And I'm serious about this too. :whip:

I don't think they order anything. Mutt steals a soda off the waitresses tray but then Indy puts it back. I believe he then steals a burger but I can't remember.

WeAreGoingToDie

acsgrlie said:
I don't think they order anything. Mutt steals a soda off the waitresses tray but then Indy puts it back. I believe he then steals a burger but I can't remember.

Looks like I'm stealing my dinner then! Gotta go for the full experience. ;)

Dr Jones

:eek:

I'm still in awe here...sorry...

(y) (y)

In a nutshell...urm......very unexpected ending even after all speculation...

It IS an Indiana Jones film! Right from that gorgeous opening title sequence until the smirk at the end, but this IS a very different Indiana Jones. Hell, the culture and world has changed, so why can't we as an audience?

The alien plot wasn't too bad..maybe just a tad much seeing one come to life...but then again was that in Spalko's mind/vision? Who knows...but still, nice and unexpected (but a waste of a good death imo).

And Mutt being Indy's son? I wasn't expecting to hear it from Marion in that situation! I DID believe Colin was his father and Indy and Marion would bicker about her life, but am I glad? Sure! It's a nice family re-union.

Speaking of which...touching little tribute to Marcus and of course Henry Snr.

:D

Ford kicked ass! He had the dialogue, the looks, the attitude, he was loving the role again and so did I!

God I'm a blur...too much to mention...they all pulled it off, and like so many people here I think, I need to watch it again for what it is, and not go in there trying to see things from other films and hold to previous film expectations!

It's not Raiders, it's not Temple and it's not Crusade. It's Kingdom! It's different!

It's fast, furious, fun and flippin' adventure-tastic!!

YAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

(y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y)

:whip: :whip: :whip: :whip:

(Maybe just wanted a bit more whip action though)

(And thank god Harrison picked up the hat at the end...there's only room for ONE Indiana Jones here!)

son of Indy

acsgrlie said:

I thought that it was a beer he tried to steal, at least that's what it looked like, color-wise. Coulda been creme soda or ginger ale, though. Don't think he stole a burger, but I could be wrong. I loved it when Mutt dips his comb into the glass of Coke on the next table to slick his hair back with... and the look of disgust he gets from the girl whose Coke it was!

sandiegojones

son of Indy said:
Maybe I'm just too easy, but...

I LOVED IT!

Sure, there were some definite differences from the previous films, but as it took place in what is effectively a whole different era in the world, I had no real problems with it, and in fact really liked most of it. The only problem of believability for me was the three waterfall drops, but then if I'm willing to suspend disbelief for sacrifice victims who still live after their hearts are forcibly removed, or giant rolling boulders built by people with no almost tools, or Indy staying atop the submarine the ENTIRE way to the island, or a 700-year old Grail Knight who is not only alive but speaks English, not to mention the magic properties of the cup itself, then I'm willing to go along with this one.

And I REALLY LOVED THE OPENING CREDIT SEQUENCE!!!
It's still Indy... just a different FLAVOR of Indy, is all!

Glad to know that you liked it. (y)

Dr Jones

The only gripe I have is with the CGI (OK, the ending DESERVED that use, a'la the Ark's effect and some extent the Grail, so the Skull earned that exit), the only gripe was the jungle chase, and the sword-fighting Shia...that got a bit daft or me sadly. Sorry George. And I know that you can't make a film for todays audiences with CGI, so I was expecting it, and what I did see didn't bother me at all. Thank god I didn't see a CGI Indy or anything.

Even the waterfall was tongue-in-cheek that I can believe it, so that was ok.

As for the action peices...near perfect. Action packed! It looked real and felt real and harked back to what Indy was all about..stuntwork and close-call fights!

And finally, understanding what Doom Town was...that was done brilliantly. Indy was totally out of his depth and seeing that bomb and the tension..it was a chilling moment. And thank god the fridge didn't fly like I thought it would. It was real, effective and a chilling reminder that Indy has grown up with the world...and it's not a pretty one.

Oh...and Marion...well, damn...what a sweethear. Some touching moments with both her and Mutt, and also Indy. Wonderful chemistry Harrison and Karen still have.

(y)

jobasha3000

Speilberg's Cinematography <Spoilers>

What the heck happened to it. Did he think that the moment the mysterious crate from the trailer came into play that it would be a good idea to go ahead and show whats in it? What happened to suspense? Ed Wood was haunting their set or something.

Falco09

Some Venting

Like the title says, I just got home from seeing KotCS and need to vent: Goddamn George Lucas WTF@@!##$#%%^ HOLY SH!7$#%$#%$# you have raped the character of Indiana Jones. KotCS features a poor plot (thiner than Last Crusade), squirm in your seat dialogue ( Did Indy just call Marion babe?) and an in plain view CGI-fied full on alien. I mean I could have handled the alien aspect had it been handled more....modestly. But this?! No way. Why, please somebody tell me why, did Steven Spielberg and Harrison Ford agree to do this movie?!?! Is there even a difference between this script and the Saucer Men from Mars script aside from the full on alien invasion finale?

Edit: I do apologize for creating another uneccessary thread, however I ask the moderators to leave it up for personal theraputic reasons.

Further edit: I've moved this to the review thread so close if neccessary.

Last edited: