Kingdom, to me.

StoneTriple

I’ve been waiting a few days to post this, to see if I was sure. I am - so here goes;

Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull is my favorite Indiana Jones film.

There, I've said it. Now, I’ll try to explain before I’m run out of here. I love Raiders and I really like Crusade & Temple. Raiders moved me as a 19-year-old kid. I saw it more times than I can remember while it was in the theater that year and countless times in the past 28 years. Same for Crusade & Temple respectively. I know the movies and the character like the back of my hand. I used to silkscreen my own Raiders t-shirts, and I’ve probably listened to the soundtracks more than any other film score. I also read the novels in my spare time.

I’ve not made any secret of the fact that I really liked Kingdom when I first saw it. That said, I had been worried given George’s track record with “tampering” with his films and characters. I’m not a fan of his treatment of Star Wars - not even remotely, as evidenced by my being a long-time member of originaltrilogy.com. However, I was pleasantly surprised in May. Kingdom was much deeper character-wise than I had expected, Indy in particular.

All this came about last week. I bought the Blu-ray the day it came out and had already watched it twice. I liked it even more than when it was in the theaters. I decided last weekend that I would have an Indiana Jones marathon. I was going to wait until November when I’m off for a week, but I couldn’t wait any longer.

However, a funny thing happened on the way to the office.

I got out Raiders, turned everything on and went to get some green tea and settle in for the journey. When it came time to put in Raiders, I realized I really wanted to watch Kingdom instead. So I did.

The first half of the film is so much deeper and much more interesting to me than the other three films. Because of that, I realized that Kingdom was how I connect with the character of Indy now. It’s no secret that a large part of that is because he’s facing issues and life experiences that are similar to mine (minus the whole saving-the-world adventure part). ;)

The dialogue-driven passages throughout the film are much deeper and more realistic than the shallowness of the tough guy we didn’t really know in Raiders. And by shallow, I mean he was a stranger that we were just meeting. There’s only so much you can know about a stranger. 28 years later, we know him well and when we catch up with him again, we see his character depth. I touched on those points in my original review;
http://raven.theraider.net/showpost.php?p=343155&postcount=1146

Anyway, my point with all of this is that when I was a 19-year-old kid, the Indiana Jones of Raiders fit my world. 28 years later, the Indiana Jones of Kingdom - aged and introspective - fits my world. Unlike some people on the board, I don’t feel like my childhood was tampered with - it can’t be. Instead, I feel like my adulthood was given a gift. And because that gift mirrors some of my real life experiences, it is now my favorite of the four films. Raiders, Temple, and Crusade are still three of my all-time favorite films and still hold just as special a place in my world as they always have. I’ll end up having my Indiana Jones marathon in a few weeks - if I can wait that long.

I took some time off from the board because I was tired of the hate spam. Looks like I have some catching up to do. I’ll start by trying to gather my thoughts about the first three chapters. I think that’s a very interesting idea you guys have going.

TheMutt92

I can't really argue w/ you, you're points are all valid. I'm still waiting to decided whether or not KOTCS is my second or third favorite Indy film.

Its a strange thought indeed, but w/ the recent confession of some Indy fans stating that they like ROTLA the least, I'm not suprised that people will start to say KOTCS is their favorite. Time has really played in favor of this film...

caats

i actually can see how somebody would like it the best. It's the quickest paced of all the films IMO. the trilogy all have times where they drag, temple being the worst with dragging. Raiders is still the best film. Raiders and LC switch between favorites but i could see KOTCS getting in on that in a few years. hard to say now. when i went back and watched the trilogy after watching KOTCS a lot, i realized it's not that different at all. :whip:

The Golden Idol

Wow, that's a first. But there's a first time for everything. :)

I'm just glad you don't like it for some shallow reason, such as it being "new, therefore better" and whatnot. (y)

Major West

I agree with some of what the original poster is saying. We do get a slightly deeper Indy in this film, practically melancholic, which I like and dislike at the same time. As I enjoy the depth, it does put things on a bit of a downer, when we're used to the films being mostly fun rides. Our hero has taken a bit of beating, and doesn't really get a happy moment until the very end of the film. I'm pretty sure I'll appreciate these aspects of KOTCS when I'm older, maybe middle aged.

deckard24

While it's not my favorite by a long shot, I can understand where you're coming from! Also the fact that it's brand new, and feels so fresh since it hasn't had enough time to be viewed over and over like the original series, is definitely a draw to pop it in the DVD player!

Deckard

I'm glad you started this thread, I don't think there were enough places for everyone to argue over the new movie and if they liked it or not.

P.S. ^Sarcasm^

Sincerely, Deckard

(dictated but not read)

muttjones

people have there different views. i like temple the best. i like kingdom but it is my least favourite because I know that it should have been made better.

sandiegojones

There are elements of KOTCS I like most. I think if you could take the "Raiders" Indy and put him in KOTCS with a little reworking, it'd be great.

Mesoamerican civilization and conquistadors are my favorite historical subject so it has that going for it, but I find TOD to be a little more fun since I like the "Anything Goes" opening and the bugs, monkey brains and Willie eating maggots!

caats

interesting cause i think KOTCS is more fun than TOD. i love it regardless. but i do feel TOD drags a bit towards the end.

Agent Z

Hey, each person brings their own experiences and personal tastes to each film and, for whatever reason, something just clicks, you know?

I always felt that every film out there, for whatever reason, has a fan....and this isn't a snide remark about lesser quality films being appreciated. Far from it.

While I think Raiders is technically more sound, I have to admit that if you ask me which film I have more fun watching, it would be either Kingdom or Temple, because they are more like comic books and have cooler set pieces to me.

On that opposite end, I can appreciate the humor and situations of Crusade, but boy is it a struggle to watch it sometimes. I am, well, just bored by Crusade. The sentimentality feels forced in that film and the action feels rehashed from Raiders. So, while I can recognize that the film is, technically, well-polished, it's just missing the fun factor that draws me in.

Going back to Kingdom now, I have never had a problem with people who criticize the film for being too cartoony and watered down for the family. I can see their point! The monkeys ARE ridiculous. The fridge IS ridamndiculous!

The film is going for said vibe, and if that vibe doesn't jive with the viewer, it's totally understandable.

I just happen to fall into the camp that loves the over the top fantastical elements of Kingdom, and I have no problem with it getting more rotations in my dvd deck than the other Indy films. :whip:

Darth Vile

Similar to Star Wars and James Bond, Indiana Jones movies are defined by a plethora of iconic moments rather than one particular movie. Of course everyone (of those who are interested), will have their favourite instalment... be that Raiders or KOTCS? but still it?s those moments that count.

I find that when talking about Indiana Jones, people don?t say ?Oh yes TLC that?s great? or ?I love TOD because?? Instead, they talk more generally e.g. ?I love that scene with the killer ants?, or ?that scene on the rope bridge is great? etc. And I think it?s this perception of the movies that will prevail over time i.e. they?ll all get viewed as one, and will be held in high regard for many years to come.

But having said that, whilst I don't quite agree, I can quite understand why some would think KOTCS to be the best one.

StoneTriple

Agent Z said:
each person brings their own experiences and personal tastes to each film and, for whatever reason, something just clicks,

That's exactly what the Nazi's are looking for.

*sorry, I went into nerd mode.

That's exactly what I was trying to say about Raiders Indy vs Kingdom Indy, but ended up rambling on. That click that Agent mentions happened for me between the second and third viewing of the Kingdom disc. I accepted the fact that I like Kingdom the most. I think I had been fighting it subconsciously - as though I had to have some sort of misplaced loyalty to Raiders.

Man, Raiders has reigned supreme in my Indy world for 28 years. It's place in my life is secure. Besides, 28 years is one hell of a run. :cool:

IndyFan89

There is nothing wrong with that, everyone has they're own opinions on the movie, if you like KOCS the best good for you! (y)

Benraianajones

I really like KOTCS, and think I prefer to watch it more than Raiders at the moment. However, the 3rd half, as fun as it is, does seem rather Walt Disney as opposed to Indiana Jones. Which is why I think a more grumsome ending for Spalko, would have benefited.

kongisking

StoneTriple said:
I?ve been waiting a few days to post this, to see if I was sure. I am - so here goes;

Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull is my favorite Indiana Jones film.

There, I've said it. Now, I?ll try to explain before I?m run out of here. I love Raiders and I really like Crusade & Temple. Raiders moved me as a 19-year-old kid. I saw it more times than I can remember while it was in the theater that year and countless times in the past 28 years. Same for Crusade & Temple respectively. I know the movies and the character like the back of my hand. I used to silkscreen my own Raiders t-shirts, and I?ve probably listened to the soundtracks more than any other film score. I also read the novels in my spare time.

I?ve not made any secret of the fact that I really liked Kingdom when I first saw it. That said, I had been worried given George?s track record with ?tampering? with his films and characters. I?m not a fan of his treatment of Star Wars - not even remotely, as evidenced by my being a long-time member of originaltrilogy.com. However, I was pleasantly surprised in May. Kingdom was much deeper character-wise than I had expected, Indy in particular.

All this came about last week. I bought the Blu-ray the day it came out and had already watched it twice. I liked it even more than when it was in the theaters. I decided last weekend that I would have an Indiana Jones marathon. I was going to wait until November when I?m off for a week, but I couldn?t wait any longer.

However, a funny thing happened on the way to the office.

I got out Raiders, turned everything on and went to get some green tea and settle in for the journey. When it came time to put in Raiders, I realized I really wanted to watch Kingdom instead. So I did.

The first half of the film is so much deeper and much more interesting to me than the other three films. Because of that, I realized that Kingdom was how I connect with the character of Indy now. It?s no secret that a large part of that is because he?s facing issues and life experiences that are similar to mine (minus the whole saving-the-world adventure part). ;)

The dialogue-driven passages throughout the film are much deeper and more realistic than the shallowness of the tough guy we didn?t really know in Raiders. And by shallow, I mean he was a stranger that we were just meeting. There?s only so much you can know about a stranger. 28 years later, we know him well and when we catch up with him again, we see his character depth. I touched on those points in my original review;
http://raven.theraider.net/showpost.php?p=343155&postcount=1146

Anyway, my point with all of this is that when I was a 19-year-old kid, the Indiana Jones of Raiders fit my world. 28 years later, the Indiana Jones of Kingdom - aged and introspective - fits my world. Unlike some people on the board, I don?t feel like my childhood was tampered with - it can?t be. Instead, I feel like my adulthood was given a gift. And because that gift mirrors some of my real life experiences, it is now my favorite of the four films. Raiders, Temple, and Crusade are still three of my all-time favorite films and still hold just as special a place in my world as they always have. I?ll end up having my Indiana Jones marathon in a few weeks - if I can wait that long.

I took some time off from the board because I was tired of the hate spam. Looks like I have some catching up to do. I?ll start by trying to gather my thoughts about the first three chapters. I think that?s a very interesting idea you guys have going.

Don't be ashamed. You shouldn't have to be. You have NO reason to be embarassed about loving KOTCS the most, just because there is a planet-full of Anti-KOTCSing jackweeds who are all too willing to rip you limb from limb. Screw them, and long live Crystal Skull!!!!!!! YAHOOOOOO!!!!!!

Major West

I'm watching KOTCS again now as I type this. Gets better with each viewing. I really like this film.

I still have to pinch myself that I'm watching a brand new entry into the Jones saga. Wonderful.

The_Raiders

I'm with you, Stonetriple! I LOVE KOTCS, I think it's just as good as all the other films, and I also like to make analogies of the films and my life, like ROTLA is my favorite, but right now I would compare my life to TOD, in a dark place, but I gotta battle throught it and good will come out of it. I'd say my favorites in order would be:

ROTLA
TOD
KOTCS
LC

And thats's hard to make, because i like all the films just about the same. :gun:

TheMutt92

The_Raiders said:
I'd say my favorites in order would be:

ROTLA
TOD
KOTCS
LC

And thats's hard to make, because i like all the films just about the same. :gun:

Never a truer statement. All this arguing about how different each film is, or what order they 'must' be ranked in... when you break these films down to their core their virtually all the same on a certain level: fun, action-packed, saturday afternoon adventure!

James

StoneTriple said:
28 years later, we know him well and when we catch up with him again, we see his character depth.

I could actually make a pretty strong case for any of the films being my favorite.

What I love about KOTCS is that it moves at a fast clip, contains an overload of pulp fiction, and features one of my favorite Indy performances from Harrison Ford. Say what you will about the sequels, but they contain the most interesting portrayals of Indiana Jones.

And it does seem as though older fans got a little more out of Ford's peformance this time around. I thorougly enjoyed seeing Indy older, wiser, and more mature. I wasn't expecting 1984 all over again.

The first thing that really struck a chord with me was the Dean's line about life taking things away. Indy doesn't respond with a one-liner, he simply gives a sad little smile. Truthfully, this probably wouldn't have meant very much to me, say, ten years ago. Back then, I probably would have been more concerned that Indy wasn't shooting anyone or using his whip as much. But as I said, today I'm more aware that it's no longer 1984.

I think ROTLA and TOD are better in terms of straightforward action, but LC and KOTCS work on an emotional level that resonates long after the credits have rolled. Not everyone can identify with saving a small village from an evil cult, but most can relate to the issues Indy must confront in LC and KOTCS.

Last edited: