Lego Indiana Jones 2: The Adventure Continues

Morning Bell

When my sister came home to visit for Thanksgiving we played through the first three films and it's definitely more fun with two people. Although I like the first game better this one is still fun and it was fun to play through "alternate" versions of the original films, plus the Crystal Skull levels are pretty neat.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
So I've played the majority of this by now, perhaps by a slim margin, but I've finished the story, at least.

I'm very charmed by it, to be honest, more so than the first installment, even. And sure, that isn't the descriptor you're hoping or expecting to be able to apply to an Indiana Jones game, but it's the accurate one here. The choice to not be one-hundred percent faithful to the original trilogy (or, for that matter, to Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, but that one is certainly much closer to the screen version) was a solid one. Some of the choices really surprised me at first, such as the way the Chacopoyan Idol segment was handled in 10 seconds in the initial Raiders cut scene, but by the time I got around to the condensed version of the Club Obi-Wan fight scene, all going on while Willie is singing in front of them, I was hooked.

See, in the first game, it was a fun exercise, seeing just how faithful to a given location/event they were going to be in the game, how they would pull off a given segment, what Star Wars jokes they'd offer us. I think the developers felt much more assured this time around - no using Star Wars as a crutch, for one - and didn't feel as obligated to give us each little bit of every movie. This did result in some surprises, sure - the lack of a level in Venice, for example, or of any mine cart presence, despite them featuring prominently on the packaging, or of any denouement for Mac despite KotCS's fuller treatment - but I enjoyed their audacity.

The hubs are fantastic, and really quite lovely to look at and explore. Overall, the graphics are something of a step up - the jungles in Crystal Skull are almost lusher than those in the film itself. (I kid...somewhat.) I do miss the longer story levels, but they couldn't have done that again, not while still doing innovating the way they did, so I guess that's the way it goes. Still, it's a shame that every single level takes place in a single room. And, yes, the bonus levels are unimpressive. And I don't have any use for the level editor, but that's all right.

What I liked most are the moments in which the game feels like a bit of a love letter to Indy games of the past, purposely or not. The final Spalko boss level felt so much like something from the conclusion of Infernal Machine or Emperor's Tomb (of course, then, so did the film, throwing in the end of Fate of Atlantis for good measure). Elsa being left alive (in Marcus's place this time, instead of Sallah's) at the end of Last Crusade had me flashing back to "I think my father had a secretary named Elsa," while Marcus in a gondola made me hope we'd see him later, sopping wet and telling us "Don't ask!" And, of course, the whole thing is an exercise not unlike the original Graphic adventure game - not so much the Raiders segment, but the other two - in which you wonder which of your favorite parts will be entirely skipped, or in what way it will be slightly revised. (Very pleased to see the S.S. Coronado, even if they did use Sallah for it.)

And of all the renditions of the Word of God, this may be the most perplexing yet.

Maybe I just looking for some light nostalgia, but I enjoyed it. The first one is probably more fun to play but this one just feels a lot more friendly and involving.

chr0n0naut

LEGO Indiana Jones 2, technical and gameplay ask & answer

(Apologies in advance if an administrator needs to move this)

When playing LEGO Indiana Jones 2 on my xbox 360 Elite it, on occasion, locks up.

It completely freezes - sound, controller, vibration, image, everything. Needless to say it is starting to annoy me to the extent where I will just go and play Modern Warefare 2.

Has anyone else experienced this? :mad:

michael

Attila the Professor said:
So I've played the majority of this by now, perhaps by a slim margin, but I've finished the story, at least.

I'm very charmed by it, to be honest, more so than the first installment, even. And sure, that isn't the descriptor you're hoping or expecting to be able to apply to an Indiana Jones game, but it's the accurate one here. The choice to not be one-hundred percent faithful to the original trilogy (or, for that matter, to Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, but that one is certainly much closer to the screen version) was a solid one. Some of the choices really surprised me at first, such as the way the Chacopoyan Idol segment was handled in 10 seconds in the initial Raiders cut scene, but by the time I got around to the condensed version of the Club Obi-Wan fight scene, all going on while Willie is singing in front of them, I was hooked.

See, in the first game, it was a fun exercise, seeing just how faithful to a given location/event they were going to be in the game, how they would pull off a given segment, what Star Wars jokes they'd offer us. I think the developers felt much more assured this time around - no using Star Wars as a crutch, for one - and didn't feel as obligated to give us each little bit of every movie. This did result in some surprises, sure - the lack of a level in Venice, for example, or of any mine cart presence, despite them featuring prominently on the packaging, or of any denouement for Mac despite KotCS's fuller treatment - but I enjoyed their audacity.

The hubs are fantastic, and really quite lovely to look at and explore. Overall, the graphics are something of a step up - the jungles in Crystal Skull are almost lusher than those in the film itself. (I kid...somewhat.) I do miss the longer story levels, but they couldn't have done that again, not while still doing innovating the way they did, so I guess that's the way it goes. Still, it's a shame that every single level takes place in a single room. And, yes, the bonus levels are unimpressive. And I don't have any use for the level editor, but that's all right.

What I liked most are the moments in which the game feels like a bit of a love letter to Indy games of the past, purposely or not. The final Spalko boss level felt so much like something from the conclusion of Infernal Machine or Emperor's Tomb (of course, then, so did the film, throwing in the end of Fate of Atlantis for good measure). Elsa being left alive (in Marcus's place this time, instead of Sallah's) at the end of Last Crusade had me flashing back to "I think my father had a secretary named Elsa," while Marcus in a gondola made me hope we'd see him later, sopping wet and telling us "Don't ask!" And, of course, the whole thing is an exercise not unlike the original Graphic adventure game - not so much the Raiders segment, but the other two - in which you wonder which of your favorite parts will be entirely skipped, or in what way it will be slightly revised. (Very pleased to see the S.S. Coronado, even if they did use Sallah for it.)

And of all the renditions of the Word of God, this may be the most perplexing yet.

Maybe I just looking for some light nostalgia, but I enjoyed it. The first one is probably more fun to play but this one just feels a lot more friendly and involving.

It's funny that you mentioned the charm of the hubs, that's exactly what I explained to my friends about the game. The hubs, really are the best part about this game, but take your time with them, haha, because finishing them to 100% does not take long, and there is no going back, unless you really want to listen to the music or you are playing co-op with someone who wants to try the game.

I think it was the third level of Crystal Skull, where I realized that all the levels were essentially one room. Disappointed? A little, but the hubs keep the game alive. It was nice to try to figure out where to go to next in the hub, where this new adventure is leading to. (even though you already know)

And you mention that Spalko battle, Attila. Simply amazing for a Lego game. As for other "inspired" levels, I really could careless if they don't stay 100% true to the movies, or even 75% true or even 0% true (crane level anyone?) I purchased a "Lego" video game, I should know what I'm getting into right? They do a superb job in re-inventing the movies for this format.

I just finished Raiders, and have Temple & Crusade to go, I'm taking my time, although Modern Warfare 2 has been playing a part in that. I'm looking forward to the Temple of the Grail in the Last Crusade, much how I did in the first lego game.

As for the extras, the create-a-character is actually worse on this game, way less clothes and matches you can do. I haven't ventured into the create-a-level or create-an-adventure yet, waiting till I beat the game first. I imagine that will be interesting though.

Lego Indy 1 and 2 are apples and oranges, really. For me, Lego Indy 1 is my favorite, and probably the better one. It's the Lego video game format that really works best, but trying something new like they did with this game, showed they put a lot of care into it. It is definitely not a re-hash sequel. Although if you asked me which one I would prefer: Lego Indy 2 or Crystal Skull as DLC for Lego Indy 1 (and in the format of Lego Indy 1)....well, I just might choose the DLC.

UIMJ

michael said:
It's funny that you mentioned the charm of the hubs, that's exactly what I explained to my friends about the game. The hubs, really are the best part about this game, but take your time with them, haha, because finishing them to 100% does not take long, and there is no going back, unless you really want to listen to the music or you are playing co-op with someone who wants to try the game.

I think it was the third level of Crystal Skull, where I realized that all the levels were essentially one room. Disappointed? A little, but the hubs keep the game alive. It was nice to try to figure out where to go to next in the hub, where this new adventure is leading to. (even though you already know)

And you mention that Spalko battle, Attila. Simply amazing for a Lego game. As for other "inspired" levels, I really could careless if they don't stay 100% true to the movies, or even 75% true or even 0% true (crane level anyone?) I purchased a "Lego" video game, I should know what I'm getting into right? They do a superb job in re-inventing the movies for this format.

I just finished Raiders, and have Temple & Crusade to go, I'm taking my time, although Modern Warfare 2 has been playing a part in that. I'm looking forward to the Temple of the Grail in the Last Crusade, much how I did in the first lego game.

As for the extras, the create-a-character is actually worse on this game, way less clothes and matches you can do. I haven't ventured into the create-a-level or create-an-adventure yet, waiting till I beat the game first. I imagine that will be interesting though.

Lego Indy 1 and 2 are apples and oranges, really. For me, Lego Indy 1 is my favorite, and probably the better one. It's the Lego video game format that really works best, but trying something new like they did with this game, showed they put a lot of care into it. It is definitely not a re-hash sequel. Although if you asked me which one I would prefer: Lego Indy 2 or Crystal Skull as DLC for Lego Indy 1 (and in the format of Lego Indy 1)....well, I just might choose the DLC.

I wrote something very similar to each of your comments (in spirit, if not in verbage) for the Game Rant review. I find it sort of funny that many self-proclaimed Indy fans voiced opinions against the game.

Lego Indy 2 is more charming than many people are giving it credit for, and the fact that Traveller's Tales didn't stick precisely to the Indy story for the second one was a good call. Like I said before, the first Lego games were a parody while the sequel was a Lego Adaptation.

RedeemedChild

Ahem, ah, pardon me please. However I was asking my dear fellow Raveners, which is better to purchase.

Which is better the Nintendo DS version or the PSP version?

JP Jones

RedeemedChild said:
Ahem, ah, pardon me please. However I was asking my dear fellow Raveners, which is better to purchase.

Which is better the Nintendo DS version or the PSP version?
They're pretty much the same except the psp version has better graphics.

Nurhachi1991

Don't get the DS version.

Does anyone know where to go on the console version after you buy the jungle cutter in KOTCS act 2?

JP Jones

Nurhachi1991 said:
Don't get the DS version.

Does anyone know where to go on the console version after you buy the jungle cutter in KOTCS act 2?
You use the jungle cutter to cut the bunch of trees by the ants, then you will be led to some kind of opening. I had this same problem and I searched around forever before I found it.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
VP said:
Yeah, you buy the jungle cutter and then cut some jungle.

Yeah, the couple places in the game where you need to buy something in the hub to proceed in the story levels, the thing that needs buying is cheap. The cutter is only 5,000, if I recall correctly.

Pistol Whipped

Nurhachi1991 said:
I diddnt get this for Christmas /cries

This kid is complaining that he didn't get the game for Christmas. Yet, he's been complaining about the game itself for at least 11 months.

1/20/09
Nurhachi1991 said:
The more I think about it I do not want a lego Indy 2 Im sick of all this kid friendly bull crap I want a flesh and blood Indy game with people dying,nazi's you know the works but that might never happen

02/16/09
Nurhachi1991 said:
Lego Indy 2 has been confirmed I'm pretty sure.......... Unfortuanatly!

Lets see how Lego can **** up KOTCS

Come on Staff of Kings be released soon

05/29/09
Nurhachi1991 said:
Think about how you have to stop every 2 seconds and build a car or something....... I doubt the campus chase will be a solid chase sequence. Remember the motercycle chase on the first lego Indy that was HORRBILE!

08/25/09
Nurhachi1991 said:
All the images I think are from free play I mean why the hell would the ROTLA Marion be in KOTCS?

08/31/09
Nurhachi1991 said:
Ugggg There placing to much of an emphasis on the "builer" aspect and not enough on the levels

I could give a damn if I can build my own levels I want to see the new original levels!

09/29/09
Nurhachi1991 said:
Would it kill lego to just have Indy shoot the Swordsman and he falls down dead? Or bursts into lego pieces?

11/17/09
Nurhachi1991 said:
I have been playing the DS version I like the 1st DS version but this is some of the worst crap I have ever played it opens up with a lost style plane wreck with Indy and his buddy's including Mola Ram and Toht stranded on an island. Indy and MArion go exploring only to find none other than..... you guessed it George Mchale. after saving Mac's life he gives you a journal page where you get to play a KOTCS level. I thought Oh boy I get to play the thrilling warehouse chase! Commies to the left of me Commies to the right all trying to kill me this is going to be fun!........................ Well the level opens up with you and MAc and you team up with Spalko and Dovchenko and use team work to open the door because everyone is such good buddies! I turned it off shortly after going inside.

I feel like Mutt when he was looking at Oxley's cell going "Why........"

Why lego would you produce this it's like fan fiction gone horribly horribly wrong.

Why has Indy all of a sudden become fodder for kiddie games? I thought Indy was a serious enough character to get a " Big Boy" game but evidently no.

I would rather play the Piano stage on Staff of Kings than this crap again I hope I can return it

11/24/09
Nurhachi1991 said:
What I want to know is why did they focus so much on the level building aspect? They should of made a lego building game. Maybe they could of focused on making this game I dunno MORE movie accurate? Mutt and Indy on a train? Sallah on the SS Corando what the hell is this crap? They diddnt put Jar Jar Binks and Wedge together to blow up the Death Star so why **** up Indy?

:rolleyes:

Attila the Professor

Staff member
You made your point already, Pistol Whipped. Didn't it tell you something that your initial post on this subject got deleted with a notice that the reason was "personally directed insults"?

Pistol Whipped

I like haunting this forum because it's active. But if you've read enough of the argumentative and negative commentary that Nurhachi has posted then you've got to realize that people are going to say something from time to time.

Not to debate semantics here, but I didn't insult anyone. Misrepresenting someone in print is libel. However, if there's an insult there, then I didn't say it - all I did was quote Nurhachi, and therefore the negativity is clearly stemming from his words and not mine.

I won't go on about this particular thing again because I'd rather be talking Indy, but maybe our dedicated mods should attack the source and not the observer. You guys are smart. You know I'm right. And, if you delete any of this commentary then you are only reinforcing to that kid that the way he is is the right way to be.

On a related note, Lego Indy 2 was a cool game, but very flawed. At least we have another Jonesy title to play with.

UIMJ

Pistol Whipped said:
I like haunting this forum because it's active. But if you've read enough of the argumentative and negative commentary that Nurhachi has posted then you've got to realize that people are going to say something from time to time.

Not to debate semantics here, but I didn't insult anyone. Misrepresenting someone in print is libel. However, if there's an insult there, then I didn't say it - all I did was quote Nurhachi, and therefore the negativity is clearly stemming from his words and not mine.

I won't go on about this particular thing again because I'd rather be talking Indy, but maybe our dedicated mods should attack the source and not the observer. You guys are smart. You know I'm right. And, if you delete any of this commentary then you are only reinforcing to that kid that the way he is is the right way to be.

On a related note, Lego Indy 2 was a cool game, but very flawed. At least we have another Jonesy title to play with.

This was the first time I've been duly impressed reading something on this forum.

I'm just sayin....