Little things you notice about the movies

PilotJohnGrant

My assumption was the Knight essentially dies at the end - Donavan describes himself as 'drinking his own health' which I took to imply that you have to continuously drink the grail to keep your immortality within the bounds of the Great Seal. I know Donavan's not the most reliable source but hey-ho.

Another way is that once the temple started to collapse and the Seal was broken, so the Grail's power dissipated and the Knight died in the collapse. The forlorn wave he give to Henry Sr gives me the impression he wasn't making it out of there alive and knew it.

Spiked

My assumption was the Knight essentially dies at the end - Donavan describes himself as 'drinking his own health' which I took to imply that you have to continuously drink the grail to keep your immortality within the bounds of the Great Seal. I know Donavan's not the most reliable source but hey-ho.

Another way is that once the temple started to collapse and the Seal was broken, so the Grail's power dissipated and the Knight died in the collapse. The forlorn wave he give to Henry Sr gives me the impression he wasn't making it out of there alive and knew it.
So the grail has no power to future archaeologists who might recover it?

Finn

Staff member
It fell down into a crevice, so how does that explain what happened to the knight?
Because continued to consumption from the Grail is obviously required for agelessness, and even then it hardly provides invincibility. Indy took a single sip and didn't gain either. And before you say "Great Seal!", take a look at the knight himself. He is obviously an old and withered man despite having stayed in the temple - he even explicitly admits the latter: "My strength has left me."

The effects of the Grail that are confirmed in the film are: prolonged life and ability to heal existing injuries. Perpetual immortality and pre-emptive protection from harm are not confirmed - and if we look at the knight, it is highly unlikely neither are included in the package.

This is actually something explicitly confirmed in the novelization of the movie - in order to enjoy prolonged life, one must continuously keep drinking from the cup, otherwise non-aging stops and aging restarts (which explains why the knight is a wizened, old man), and since the Grail can't pass the Great seal, the keeper of the Grail is stuck in the temple. All in all, not exactly a great way to spend one's existence.

So, yeah, if the knight gets a ton of rocks on his head and can't use the Grail to heal himself, he's pretty much dead.

Spiked

Because continued to consumption from the Grail is obviously required for agelessness, and even then it hardly provides invincibility. Indy took a single sip and didn't gain either. And before you say "Great Seal!", take a look at the knight himself. He is obviously an old and withered man despite having stayed in the temple - he even explicitly admits the latter: "My strength has left me."

The effects of the Grail that are confirmed in the film are: prolonged life and ability to heal existing injuries. Perpetual immortality and pre-emptive protection from harm are not confirmed - and if we look at the knight, it is highly unlikely neither are included in the package.

This is actually something explicitly confirmed in the novelization of the movie - in order to enjoy prolonged life, one must continuously keep drinking from the cup, otherwise non-aging stops and aging restarts (which explains why the knight is a wizened, old man), and since the Grail can't pass the Great seal, the keeper of the Grail is stuck in the temple. All in all, not exactly a great way to spend one's existence.

So, yeah, if the knight gets a ton of rocks on his head and can't use the Grail to heal himself, he's pretty much dead.
So essentially, the Grail was promised to be so much more at the beginning of the film than it ended up being at the end. Pretty much like all of the films. In Raiders we were teased that the Ark was a telephone to speak to God and the Sankara stones could be used to become "all powerful."

Finn

Staff member
So essentially, the Grail was promised to be so much more at the beginning of the film than it ended up being at the end.
The only promise given at the beginning was "eternal life", and I think the Grail pretty much keeps it. (Especially since there is an important distinction between "biological immortality" and "invincibility".) The conditions one must follow just aren't revealed until the end of the film, and they make said life a pretty crappy existence.

Walecs

That's pretty much a recurring theme in the series, which is why the villains never end up benefitting from the artifacts.

Dr.Jonesy

I still think they could go back in and find the Grail. Maybe it stayed on that little ledge somehow. But archaeologists have excavated more destroyed places and found great stuff.

michael

i can't imagine the entire brotherhood was destroyed in the desert. they must have others.

i'm sure they went to check on the temple and an attempt to recover the grail is currently underway

Xzmmc

That's pretty much a recurring theme in the series, which is why the villains never end up benefitting from the artifacts.
Mola Ram is the exception. Yeah, one Stone was part of his undoing, but prior to Indy and co's arrival, he was doing pretty well using them for...whatever it is the Stones can do.

michael

Mola Ram is the exception. Yeah, one Stone was part of his undoing, but prior to Indy and co's arrival, he was doing pretty well using them for...whatever it is the Stones can do.

good point, never thought of this.

i can't remember and i don't have it on me, but in some Ultimate Guide coffee table book back in 2008, I believe there was a drawing of the mines and the last stone was very close to being discovered.

or is my memory deceiving me.

propstar

did you know that Bamburgh Castle already made an appearance in Schwarzenegger's Last Action Hero ?

Screenshot-2024-04-09-at-14-25-22.png