Lock Of John Lennon's Hair to be Auctioned Off

AngieAki

http://uk.news.launch.yahoo.com/dyna/article.html?a=/071031/340/hmfmx.html&e=l_news_dm

Buy John Lennon's hair!

(Wednesday October 31, 2007 12:29 AM)
A lock of John Lennon's hair is to be sold at auction later this year, it has been announced.

The strands from the dead Beatle's head are being sold by the group's former hairdresser Betty Glasgow.

She worked as a stylist on the Fab Four films "Hard Day's Night" and "Help" and was given the lock along with hand-written note from Lennon.

Worthing auction house Gorringes will be putting the lot under the hammer as part of "The Betty Glasgow Collection of Beatles and Film Memorabilia" in December.

The hair sample is expected to reach between £2,000 and £3,000, although Glasgow admits she will be sorry to see the many items go.

"It was great fun working with the boys on the films. They were always together in a group and having a laugh.

"My job was to keep their hair in order as the film was made over three months, so their trademark, mop-top haircuts had to be regularly trimmed", she explained.

This is kinda creepy...

From which part of him is the hair from is the question...
Head hair sells for about $3000. Hair from his armpits sells for about $1000. Hair from his other regions is free.

Elvis' hair goes for a similar amount, too. Except it has to be in a container at all times due to the risk of exposure decay.The hair is exceptionally fragile due to years of greasing and dyeing it.

Source: Lunatic Weekly.

Last edited:

nezobiwan

herr gruber said:
Head hair sells for about $3000. Hair from his armpits sells for about $1000. Hair from his other regions is free.

Elvis' hair goes for a similar amount, too. Except it has to be in a container at all times due to the risk of exposure decay.The hair is exceptionally fragile due to years of greasing and dyeing it.

Source: Lunatic Weekly.

Yeah... isn't Elvis' real hair color blonde or something? I think I remember hearing that somewhere...

nezobiwan said:
Yeah... isn't Elvis' real hair color blonde or something? I think I remember hearing that somewhere...

Yeah, I think he's really fair-haired. He probably dyed his eyebrows, too.
He went for the Hawaiian look as he was obsessed with Hawaii, wasn't he?
Paradise, Hawaiian Style!
Aloha Hawaii!
Blue Hawaii!
Hawaii! Hawaii! Hawaii!
No Blondes in Hawaii!
Hawaii, Paradise Style! etc...

Gear

herr gruber said:

HA HA HA!

John Lennon's cowboy hat that he wore durring their last photo session sold about a year ago. Also, they sold a lock of Maralyn Menrows hair... Maralyn Menrow?

gear guardian said:
HA HA HA!

John Lennon's cowboy hat that he wore durring their last photo session sold about a year ago. Also, they sold a lock of Maralyn Menrows hair... Maralyn Menrow?

Yes, the Double Fantasy hat. I think his blood-stained glasses were up for auction recently, too. Gross.

Gear

I think that if I baught his glasses I'd remove the blood. Not because I think its nasty but because its just too unhappy.

By the way Herr Gruber, you live in Liverpool England right, well have you ever seen any historical Beatle sites like Strawberry Fields or any of their old houses?

gear guardian said:
I think that if I baught his glasses I'd remove the blood. Not because I think its nasty but because its just too unhappy.

By the way Herr Gruber, you live in Liverpool England right, well have you ever seen any historical Beatle sites like Strawberry Fields or any of their old houses?

Yeah, they are all within walking distance. Infact, my aunt lives in Blomfield Road from where Lennon's mother was leaving and was killed by a car. I frequent Penny Lane a lot, too. I've even performed in the Cavern a few times. I recently got Cynthia Lennon's autograph when she was signing books here. They have tours here in the Magical Mystery Tour bus! It's cool. :hat:

Gear

salussolia said:
My nanas from liverpool and saw beatles at the first show in a small pub thing
and thought they were horrible,she doesnt think that now:)

Thats awsome! (y) Scine they started of terrible then that gives other young musicians hope that they wont always suck. ;)

Gear

herr gruber said:
Yeah, they are all within walking distance. Infact, my aunt lives in Blomfield Road from where Lennon's mother was leaving and was killed by a car. I frequent Penny Lane a lot, too. I've even performed in the Cavern a few times. I recently got Cynthia Lennon's autograph when she was signing books here. They have tours here in the Magical Mystery Tour bus! It's cool. :hat:

Aww! I'm so jealous! I'd LOVE to see a picture one of these days! Hgrmm...

Rubber-A.jpg

indiana.jpg

THE GREATEST BAND IN THE WORLD.
THE GREATEST HERO IN THE WORLD. PERFECT.
I'LL POST SOME PICS OF BEATLE CITY SOON!

Kingsley

The Beatles are so good they can stand the huge hype around them... their music stands alone for them. It's wonderuful.
I'm not an expert in musical theory, but I've got a teacher who said they created a new world, musically speaking, in every song. The Rolling Stones on the other hand, created many songs but always in the same "world"... good songs nonetheless.
The Beatles made popular music, but they where looking higher inspired by people like Stockhauser or John Cage, too difficult for the casual listener, whose ideas where took down to earth by the beatles.

I dont know... when I hear songs like "A day in the life" I realise there is something more than just a good song there.

Gear

Kingsley said:
I've got a teacher who said they created a new world, musically speaking, in every song.

EXACTLY! Thats a perfect way to describe it. 'Only a Northern Song' is in a different world than 'Strawberry Fields Forever' or even 'I'm Looking Through You' ect. Thats a perfect way to put it. Each song has a different personality. Every single one. They didn't play in the same "mono-sound". I think thats one of the reasons other bands dont compare.

Oh, and high five Herr Gruber.

Heh.

Give me Pink Floyd over The Beatles any day. They were more consistently innovative.

Granted, I love later Beatles. But their early mushy gushy pop days are just blech. And certainly I won't deny their influence on the Floyd. Of course there's the rumor that Pink Floyd and The Beatles met. As legend has it, they were both recording in 1967 at Abbey Road (Floyd were recording their first album) and Beatles were off in one of the other studios and they heard the Floyd playing and were so impressed that, I believe the story holds it was Lennon who called them wonderful competition and remarked that they'd have to watch out for these up-starts.

Any rate, I much prefer Floyd. For what that's worth at least.

RIP Syd. :(

No Ticket

I'd buy the hair if I knew I could clone him. .... that would be cool.

Oh and if I had like ya know, a couple hundred thousand dollars laying around too.

eazybox

The Beatles' hair was a symbol of their generation, so it's not unusual that the original fans would want to collect it. Those hairstyles looked very strange to most of us when we first saw the group. We were all wearing either pompadours or crewcuts.

In 1964 they had their hair cut for charity, and this hair was later sold at auction at Sotheby's. The guy who bought it, who was a Beatles memorabilia dealer, offset his expense by selling some of the hair to other collectors, and I was one of them. I framed the hair along with an unused ticket from their last concert in San Francisco, and still display it.

Most people think of their hair as being a uniform brown color, but John's was actually quite reddish, George's was medium brown, and Paul and Ringo's hair is almost black.

When you listen to some of the hundreds of hours of recordings from the Let It Be rehearsals, you begin to understand just how broad their musical knowledge was, as well as their ability to soak up this varied influence and turn it into their own highly original work.

The major contemporary influence on their songwriting was probably Bob Dylan, whose contemplative style is echoed in songs like Lennon's "You've Got To Hide Your Love Away." He even sounds a little like Dylan in that song. But there were many other influences, including Little Richard, Chuck Berry, Carl Perkins, Otis Redding, Roy Orbison-- on and on.

Although it may not be their greatest record, the White Album is probably the best example of their astonishing versatility.

Jack