Lucas ponders Indy 5

emtiem

Oddly I'm thinking that if anyone should go it might be Spielberg: if anything he seems to be the one who's less interested in doing Indy and judging by Skull, he doesn't seem willing to travel much to shoot the thing, which is a bit of a shame when you're dealing with a globe-trotting hero! And although there were touches of his wonderful witty touch in there, it seemed to be much lessened.
Is it heresy to consider an Indy film without Spielberg?

The Man

emtiem said:
Oddly I'm thinking that if anyone should go it might be Spielberg: if anything he seems to be the one who's less interested in doing Indy and judging by Skull, he doesn't seem willing to travel much to shoot the thing, which is a bit of a shame when you're dealing with a globe-trotting hero! And although there were touches of his wonderful witty touch in there, it seemed to be much lessened.
Is it heresy to consider an Indy film without Spielberg?

Would Skull have been all that different with Lucas in the director's chair?

No Ticket

The Man said:
Would Skull have been all that different with Lucas in the director's chair?

I think he means Lucas should have picked another director. Perhaps this is true, if Spielberg's heart isn't in it, maybe someone who is a huge fan of Indy should do it... get a little fresh perspective.

We all know if LUCAS had directed it KOTCS would be way more awful. As Indy would say, "Trust me."

The Man

No Ticket said:
I think he means Lucas should have picked another director. Perhaps this is true, if Spielberg's heart isn't in it, maybe someone who is a huge fan of Indy should do it... get a little fresh perspective.

We all know if LUCAS had directed it KOTCS would be way more awful. As Indy would say, "Trust me."

It's a terrible jam, really. Of the big three, the one who'd be missed the least is Lucas, but since Indy is 'his', he ain't goin' anywhere...

emtiem

No Ticket said:

Yeah, I don't think Lucas is a director judging by the new Star Wars films. And I don't mean he's a bad one, I don't think he is one at all.
Getting someone else to direct might be the way to do it, but then I'm not sure it would be Indy at all without Spielberg.

Whatever was wrong with KOTCS, I just can't see that removing Spielberg - with his vision of trying to go more old school - and having Lucas in complete control could possibly be a good thing. If you thought KOTCS was approaching SW prequel territory, imagine what would happen in the next one if Spielberg isn't there to try to resist George's lunacy.

I just can't bring myself to believe that Spielberg was anywhere near as big a part of the problem as GL. The things that were wrong with Crystal Skull are just so in line with what we've come to expect from GL.

Udvarnoky

I think you guys just can't bring yourselves to blame Spielberg, even though he's really the person responsible for this movie.

The Man

Udvarnoky said:
I think you guys just can't bring yourselves to blame Spielberg, even though he's really the person responsible for this movie.

At least Lucas recognised the film's eventual reception by saying that many would be disappointed by it. Spielberg, on the other hand, claimed it was made - every shot conceived(!) - with the fans in mind. Now, that's either a lie or...well, it's just a lie. No fan on Earth wanted the Mutt-monkey scene - certain people are now only willing to defend it out of misplaced sentimentalism; it's Indy so it must be loved. Balls!

Spielberg, great though he usually is, has lost irretrievable respect over this dud of a movie.

Indy's brother

Just playing devil's advocate here, but I think that it's entirely possible that Spielberg, Lucas, and Ford, despite their obvious involvement in the series, don't obsess over the films nearly as much as we do. In that regard, Lucas may have been more right in his thinking that fans and critics would hate KOTCS than we would like to admit. I would bet all that I own that none of those three has watched the trilogy as much as I have. I know I'm not the only one here who can say that. As a result, I think the allure of the IJ character is not fully understood by it's creators in the same way as it is by the fans. That whole "can't see the forest for the trees" thing. How could they possibly expect to meet all of our expectations, especially after a 19 year hiatus? Maybe the lapse in time makes it impossible to look at this as a true continuation of the series, maybe our thinking should be more "A new Indy for a new era- a series unto itself". I dunno, maybe I'm trying to make my peace with KOTCS so I can enjoy it on DVD. Though Indy 4 wasn't what many of us were expecting, I can enjoy it's better moments, and am willing to accept the idea of an Indy 5--whatever that may bring.

indyrcks

you said it, the film is about a new Indy, a new era so why can't people not accept it that it has a new flavour to it

No Ticket

indyrcks said:
you said it, the film is about a new Indy, a new era so why can't people not accept it that it has a new flavour to it

Whatever. It just wasn't a very good movie. Even if the flavor was different, the film itself was only mediocre at best. So that's more it's problem than being of a different flavor.

It's probably true the creators themselves don't understand Indy as well as the fans do... at least, not anymore.

JediPug1

Indy's brother said:
Just playing devil's advocate here, but I think that it's entirely possible that Spielberg, Lucas, and Ford, despite their obvious involvement in the series, don't obsess over the films nearly as much as we do. In that regard, Lucas may have been more right in his thinking that fans and critics would hate KOTCS than we would like to admit. I would bet all that I own that none of those three has watched the trilogy as much as I have. I know I'm not the only one here who can say that. As a result, I think the allure of the IJ character is not fully understood by it's creators in the same way as it is by the fans. That whole "can't see the forest for the trees" thing. How could they possibly expect to meet all of our expectations, especially after a 19 year hiatus? Maybe the lapse in time makes it impossible to look at this as a true continuation of the series, maybe our thinking should be more "A new Indy for a new era- a series unto itself". I dunno, maybe I'm trying to make my peace with KOTCS so I can enjoy it on DVD. Though Indy 4 wasn't what many of us were expecting, I can enjoy it's better moments, and am willing to accept the idea of an Indy 5--whatever that may bring.

I think this was stated very well. I think we as fans make more of it than the forces behind it ever will... and that's probably as it should be. The filmakers and actors go on to other projects and whatnot... And, I would welcome another Indy film in a heartbeat.

I also see I might have liked KOTSC more than most others around here. I can understand the criticism, and I share in some of it as well, but I went into it just wanting to have fun and I was not disappointed in that respect. I can compare that now to The Clone Wars... I really liked it, but I wasn't expecting a whole lot out of a cartoon. Most people, however, hate it.

Hope this makes sense... I'm at work and kinda writing on the fly here... ;)

Forbidden Eye

herr gruber said:
KOTCS actually feels, to me, that it WAS directed by Lucas.

Ugh. I will never will understand the overly critical attacks this man receives from message boards all over the internet, and why he gets the blame more than anyone else.

Let's just say hypothetically, KOTCS is a bad movie and we all agree it was a failure, why is it SO HARD to believe Spielberg has made a bad movie? He HAS made bad/negatively-received movies in his career before. After all, have you all forgot:

Always
Hook
The Lost World: Jurassic Park
War of the Worlds

(There were a couple others I was going to mention, but I'll be fair and just use these 5.) Spielberg wasn't exactly on his A-game when he made these. Comparing to Lucas, I know I'll take the Star Wars prequels over these 5 movies any day. I have never met Spielberg and don't know him to the extent where I know how he personally ranks all of his films, but basing on the finished product, I'd certainly say he was far more enthusiastic making KOTCS than he was making The Lost World, at least KOTCS tried a lot of interesting ideas, TLW: JP just feels like one giant meandering chase-scene trying to cash on the original.

If you really believe KOTCS is a bad movie, blame it on EVERYONE. Not just Lucas.

Now, I love Spielberg as much as the next film enthusiast, but I think we all sadly have to all agree, everyone, whether it'd be Lucas, Spielberg or any other of the main components back on KOTCS, are never going to be the same people who brought us films like Jaws, Star Wars or Raiders of the Lost Ark. Those were once-in-a-lifetime achievements, and we're very lucky to have gotten those flms. Times have changed. No other two film makers have impacted(for better or worse) film and the way the industry works as much as Lucas and Spielberg have. They obviously have A LOT to live up to. I'm completely certain nothing they'll do in the future will be as memorable or influential as their first films. There isn't any filmmaker who has/had a completely spotless record with every film being equally memorable.