LucasArts plans for more Indy games!

QueZTone

Check out this little interview that's from the March issue of Game Informer Magazine with Jim Ward, president of LucasArts. He basically he says they wanna extend Indiana Jones' game legacy by more regularly produce Indy games, also keeping in mind that a new indy movie is coming out in the next couple of years....

well here's the link!

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=145056

snippet:
Q: LucasArts used to be known for making really unique original properties like Day of the Tentacle, then fell back primarily on Star Wars products exclusively. Are original games going to be a focus for the company?

A: We have three main goals. One is to restimulate the Star Wars IP with high quality games. Secondly, we're going to reinvigorate the Indiana Jones IP, which has basically been stagnant for years. There's no reason that Indiana Jones can't be a James Bond and have a year-in, year-out great representation of that brand. And take advantage of the fact that, in the next couple of years, there will be a new Indiana Jones movie. The third leg of this is definetely new IP. There's a heritage built into the DNA of LucasArts, and that's creativity and innovation. We need to move beyond the IP that we have. We certainly lost that. We lost that as the console console marketplace came into being; it was very strong on the PC platform. Once the company missed the adaptation of the console platforms, we've been in catch-up mode ever since. But that's going to change.

Hmmm, Now thats some exciting news, more Indy games at last. But I must admit mabye this might not be good news after all. First off waiting so long for Indy games was not that bad, personnaly scince I dont play games too often it gave me something to look forward to and secondly I sure hope that after this, Indy games don't get stale and repetitive like the Star Wars games that Lucas Arts has done. Lets just hope that what we make up for in number of games we dont lose in quality. But Hey more Indy games would be great :D and I am probaly just worying about nothing.

Teke

Yeah... I only want a Graphic Adventure.

Emperor´s Tomb and Infernal Machine mades me dissapointed...

San Holo

ACTION is where it's at. The movies don't revlove around Indy solving puzzles-they involve Indy kickin arse and taking names.

ACTION sucks and i really think that the emperors tomb cant be compared to FOA nor LC or even to the infernal machine, if you like action get a bond game, indy is not about action, is about ADVENTURE

I think Emperor's Tomb and Infernal Machine were both great games(though not on the same level as FOA) and I think a new Indy action/adventure would be great. Think of it this way the Collective made all their mistakes on ET and will be able to fix them in the next game. Another good thing is that Lucas Arts already did a survey so they should know a bit more about what the Fans are looking for in a new Indy game. Let's just hope that for the above reasons we are in for a great new game :)

Teke

San Holo said:
ACTION is where it's at. The movies don't revlove around Indy solving puzzles-they involve Indy kickin arse and taking names.

Please answer me this: what of this games was better? Fate of Atlantis or Infernal Machine?

If you didn´t like FOA you really arent a Indy fan...

San Holo

Teke said:
Please answer me this: what of this games was better? Fate of Atlantis or Infernal Machine?

If you didn´t like FOA you really arent a Indy fan...
FoA was a very good game,but I think too many puzzles can bog down the story.That doesn't make me less of an Indy fan,so kiss it Teke.

lol, true but, we are considering here something evident, its not if action has a name, its if adventure has a name, as i said before Indy is not Bond nor Rambo, so he isnt supposed to have that much fights, but a lot of suspense, drama, some action too of course, but the prob was with FOA that he had everything even 3 ways to play it so it would fit the tastes of all, maybe they could do something similar with this one ;)

Teke

San Holo said:
FoA was a very good game,but I think too many puzzles can bog down the story.That doesn't make me less of an Indy fan,so kiss it Teke.

Bog down the story???? :eek:

I think that whit many puzzles the story will be better than pure action. Killing a lot of enemies doesn´t intruduces me in the Indy´s world.

A game like FOA yes.

So, there are opinions... but Infernal Machine and Emperor´s Tomb sucks, look the reviews or the Indy fans opinion.

Well they don´t suck, but they don´t give the Indy spirit, i would like a game to have the adventure and puzzles of FOA, but with the graphics, and action scenes of emperors, but i want more ADVENTURE! than action, and no, using the whip is not adventure, but solving puzzles is :p ;)

dapthx

I am all for a new Adventure type game like FOA...there's only so much one can take of Action games.An archaeologist is pretty much a detective that investigates...only more like an ancient history detective.Of course action can be tossed in as part of an exciting adventure.But when I first played FOA,I felt like this had a real story I could see being in an Indy movie.Now it would be great for us FOA lovers,if they'd update it,with todays graphics and animation such..man would that be awesome or what??

DC

Last edited:

sttngfan1701d

Be wary of Lucasarts, though...Emperor's Tomb was just 2 years ago, but will we see new Indy games? I certainly hope so and this interview gets me excited, but I can't help but remember the cancellation of Full Throttle 2 and Sam n' Max 2 recently by the studio. The latter was almost complete, as well. Granted, Indy is a flagship brand for LA like Star Wars is, but these two titles were given full E3 rollouts, coverage, press releases and developer interviews, but Lucasarts pulled the plug on both before they were released.

For that, I remain wary. If all goes to plan however, then WOO HOOO!!!!! :whip:

dapthx

Yeah...I agree..until we get news it's definitely on the way..I will be on pins and needles.I had just picked up a copy at CompUSA of the latest SW game,Knights of the Old Republic 2..and I said to myself...we need an Indy game like this...of course KOTOR2 still didn't have the Adventure Toolkit,like Bioware's Neverwinter Nights has....I hope they at least listen to me and consider it for a future Indy game....if everyone here is like me,I'm sure I have agreement on this.Btw,I have some good adventure plots and such in my adventure work folders...just waiting for the right moment:)One project is a possible plan for a novel..but I am not a writer..so I would have to collaborate with the right person.;)

DC

Last edited:

INDYfatigable

but i would rather not have the little fist fights like in foa i mean they were fun, but i personally like 3d enviroments, 3d weapons, and 3d fists. That's my kinda game!