Magnum, p.i. episode "Legend of the Lost Art"

WilliamBoyd8

Magnum, p.i. episode "Legend of the Lost Art"

I was in the local library last week looking at the DVDs.
They had the Magnum p.i. television show 8th season DVDs, which included
the 1988 Indiana Jones parody episode "Legend of the Lost Art", where Magnum,
(Tom Selleck), dressed as Indiana Jones, searches for a lost ancient scroll.

It was a pretty interesting episode and showed what Tom Selleck would have looked
like if he had played Indiana Jones in the movie.

:)

indyrocks1936

i saw that episode on dvd a while back. i thought it was pretty funny! :D espicially when Higgins always had to correct people when saying "ark" as the lost "art."

James

There's a great whip gag included in the episode.

At one point, Magnum is confronted with an armed bad guy. So he flicks the whip out to disarm him...only to watch as it falls harmlessly- and short of the target- on the ground in front of the guy. :D

Grizzlor

I always liked that episode, and it holds up well. Also proves they made the right choice in casting. Selleck isn't funny enough to have been Indy the way Harrison has been.

The action was weak, but putting the established characters into the shoes, (ahem) hats, of "The Indy-Verse" was entertaining. Cheesy, weak, and plodding but fun...

Two Magnum PI / Indiana Jones trivia questions on the next Indy-Cast! ...and no not who was cast as Indy before Harrison Ford!

Goodeknight

I always wondered how Selleck felt doing that episode.

Of course, I'm glad they didn't get him to play Indy (locked into his Magnum contract), but don't you think he'd spend the rest of his career looking at what 'might have been?'

I mean, compare his career to Harrison Ford's. Yeah, everyone knows who Tom Selleck and Magnum PI are, but he's no HF, you know? Doubt he has a fleet of planes or an 800-acre ranch at Jackson Hole.

((With Selleck it would have been okay, but not iconic, and Raiders wouldn't be universally known as the best action film of all time.))

AnnieJones

Le Saboteur said:
Off topic, but Psych did an amusing take on Indy in their last season. It was replete with references to Indy, Shorty, and even ripped off the red line!

The Greatest Adventure in the History of Basic Cable (y)
AnnieJones said:
I love that episode!
They had some more Indy references in the deleted scenes on the DVD.:whip:
Oops! Forgot to mention that I was referring to Psych when I made this comment.

Anyway,back to Magnum P.I.,I can't wait to get more seasons.(y)

Mickiana

I reckon Selleck would have made a good Indiana Jones. Whether better or worse than Harrison we will never know.

indyartist

Mickiana said:
I reckon Selleck would have made a good Indiana Jones. Whether better or worse than Harrison we will never know.
I also think Selleck would've been decent if not good or great. We are just so use to Ford, we can't imagine anyone else as Indy. Like no one else as Rocky but Stallone. Selleck has that charm and humor that might've worked well along with his ruggedness. You can kind of get an idea how he'd have been if you watch him in "High Road to China". He was great in that movie. Also, if you watch his "Raiders" audition with Sean Young, he's great in that for what he has to work with.

Hate hate hated this episode. Granted, it was the only episode of Magnum PI I've ever watched, but it was 45 minutes of pure self-flagellation. Poor writing and so much wink-wink nonsense that I wanted to vomit. I for one, after seeing this garbage, am glad Selleck didn't land the part of the good doctor.

indycast

ResidentAlien said:
Hate hate hated this episode. Granted, it was the only episode of Magnum PI I've ever watched, but it was 45 minutes of pure self-flagellation. Poor writing and so much wink-wink nonsense that I wanted to vomit. I for one, after seeing this garbage, am glad Selleck didn't land the part of the good doctor.

You need to watch some more episodes - I am currently halfway through season three of the DVD sets and am loving each episode. Also breaking the fourth wall has always been a part of each Magnum episode.

Tom Selleck would be have been a different Indy, but then again Harrison Ford would make a different Magnum!

indycast said:
You need to watch some more episodes - I am currently halfway through season three of the DVD sets and am loving each episode. Also breaking the fourth wall has always been a part of each Magnum episode.

Tom Selleck would be have been a different Indy, but then again Harrison Ford would make a different Magnum!

I'll pass. I have enough shows I actually want to watch that this doesn't even begin to register on my radar. This episode was absolute rubbish and that's all I needed to know.

MacGyver's my 80s TV hero.

Major West

ResidentAlien said:

You seriously need to watch more episodes. Magnum is one of the best TV shows of the 80s. It makes MacGyver look like the childrens show that it was. There's a reason Magnum ran for 8 seasons, because it kicked ass.

Major West said:
You seriously need to watch more episodes. Magnum is one of the best TV shows of the 80s. It makes MacGyver look like the childrens show that it was. There's a reason Magnum ran for 8 seasons, because it kicked ass.

Got to say, this was a weak episode. There were MANY great episodes of Magnum PI, from Ivan to Higgins illegimate brothers, and anything with Mac. There were plenty of dogs too.

Legends was fun because over the course of the series, breaking the fourth wall and the "wink wink" stuff provided a good chuckle when ever it might happen, (in other episodes primarily). I still enjoyed the wink wink stuff in this episode.

Granted if this was the ONLY episode I saw, I would agree...but it's FAR from representative of the series.

Darth Vile

indyartist said:
I also think Selleck would've been decent if not good or great. We are just so use to Ford, we can't imagine anyone else as Indy. Like no one else as Rocky but Stallone. Selleck has that charm and humor that might've worked well along with his ruggedness. You can kind of get an idea how he'd have been if you watch him in "High Road to China". He was great in that movie. Also, if you watch his "Raiders" audition with Sean Young, he's great in that for what he has to work with.

One of the reasons I always gravitated towards Indiana Jones as a hero (Ford's version), was that he was a fallible character (both physically and mentally). More than anything else, I think Ford brought those human frailties to the fore. I don't think there is another actor of our generation who is/has been better at acting beat up and generally knackered (which for me is 90% of Indy's charm).

Tom Selleck would have brought his own thing to the role, but for me I think his height (the man is tall), and his more orthodox good looks would have made Indy (in Raiders) seem more like an all american super hero rather than the anti hero Ford portrayed him as. Nothing against Selleck (as I think he's a good enough actor), I think Lucas/Spielberg really landed on their feet when Selleck had to pull out of Raiders.

emtiem

It's a terrible episode, but I think Selleck would have been pretty good as Indy- next to Ford he's the next best thing in terms of playing fallible heroes; Magnum would often mess up and Selleck had a winning way about him. I'd hate to swap Ford for anyone, but I reckon this forum would still be here if Selleck had taken the role.