Meaning of 2 Quotes from Raiders?

The Golden Idol

1. In the Cairo bar, Belloq tells Indy the story about the worthless $10 pocketwatch and compares it to the Ark by saying that in a thousand years, "men will kill for it, men like you and me". However, right after that, he tells Indy the significance of the Ark and how it is a "radio for speaking to God". So, doesn't that just contradict his pocketwatch story? He compares something worthless to something of great significance by saying they are just the same. Am I missing something?

2. What does Marion mean by saying "You're not the man I knew ten years ago"? Is she saying that Indy is less physically fit or is more aged than before? Damn, the man survived fighting against countless Nazis, thugs, etc. and Marion has a problem with him being in pain? Either her standards of a man are too high or I'm missing something.

The Drifter

The Golden Idol said:
1. In the Cairo bar, Belloq tells Indy the story about the worthless $10 pocketwatch and compares it to the Ark by saying that in a thousand years, "men will kill for it, men like you and me". However, right after that, he tells Indy the significance of the Ark and how it is a "radio for speaking to God". So, doesn't that just contradict his pocketwatch story? He compares something worthless to something of great significance by saying they are just the same. Am I missing something?

2. What does Marion mean by saying "You're not the man I knew ten years ago"? Is she saying that Indy is less physically fit or is more aged than before? Damn, the man survived fighting against countless Nazis, thugs, etc. and Marion has a problem with him being in pain? Either her standards of a man are too high or I'm missing something.

1- Belloq meant that in a thousand years, his watch would become a priceless relic.
It would be ancient and worth much, and men would kill each other to possess it.

2- Maybe Indy had more statima where it counted to her in his younger years. ;)

BlackSleep

1. Agree with Drifter

2. I always thought this was Marion's way of recognizing that Indy was no longer the immature womanizer he was 10 years ago; he's matured, grown since she last ran into him; she's not so much saying this as a result of him being in pain, but as a gradual realization after having seen him in action; little did she know lol

James

1. The plot of Indy 5 will revolve around the search for Belloq's watch.

2. I think this is meant to remind the audience that Indy is an Everyman character. He's not the typical hero that does all these amazing feats without getting a scratch on him. It also reveals a side to the character that is very world-weary.

But it's not something that's meant to be taken too literally. After all, Marion didn't observe everything Indy went through to get the Ark back. She just sees that the guy can barely get out of his shirt at the end of the day.

Darth Vile

I think at the point in the movie Belloq is pointing out the principle of how something simple/worthless can become priceless over time (a simple but correct statement). I'm not sure at that point whether Belloq believes that the Ark has actual power, or whether (like Indy) he just understands its historical significance. Either way, he relates the principles whilst distinguishing between the watch and the ark.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
I think Darth Vile's closest to it. Things like the fertility idol are like the watch - worthless, powerless - they acquire value through being old and buried. When he's talking about the watch, he's still on the thread of conversation and how he and Indy are similar.

But the Ark is different, he's saying - it gives you access to the divine.