Mutt's origins

Shortie

Mutt- "Marion never told you why she left"
Indy- "She told me because of YOU!"
Mutt- "No I am your son!"
Indy- "Nooooooooo! Noooooo"

Barty

Completed my Topps 90 card base set a minute ago. #89 was the last card I needed to have them all.

Here it is:

mutteo6.png

Henry Jones III.....

UltimateManGod

Well, judging by the info we have, he is Indy's son, but was raised under the impression that some RAF pilot who died in WWII was his real father. And Oxley was his surrogate father, which is why Oxley cut off contact with Indy in 1937. That's what I've gAthered at least.

Edit: It also mentions he discovers something surprising about his past in the book. I don't remember the details though.

Barty

UltimateManGod said:
Well, judging by the info we have, he is Indy's son, but was raised under the impression that some RAF pilot who died in WWII was his real father. And Oxley was his surrogate father, which is why Oxley cut off contact with Indy in 1937. That's what I've gthered at least.

Yep, that's pretty much what I figure. But this card is the first solid, 100% definite proof I've seen.

nzlc

So now im 99% sure he is but that one percentage could change when the movie comes out.I can see them making it so you leave the film not 100% sure he is his son or not to keep you talking

isaac_z

well... i really wish i didn't read the spoiler section anymore...

i've tried to stay out for a week or so, but just clicked out of curiosity.

that said, we'll see how this turns out, who knows, that could be his adopted name :p ... probably not though... i just don't really see marion not keeping her own name when naming her illegitimate son. mehh... too many thoughts, too few days. i'm getting out of here.

Playmount

Theories and Confirmations...

Well, we've known about this for about a year and now we have rock solid proof. Before seeing this, there was perhaps a small amount of doubt in my mind... but that's gone now.

Seeing as how Mutt says to Indy early in the film, "Mutt's the name I picked. You have a problem with it?" I can see him embracing the name "Henry Jones III" at the end of the film to complete his story arc. He begins the film rebellious and antagonistic toward Indy (mostly his academic life, until he sees Indy in action), then at the end of the film he's out of his leather jacket and jeans and in a suit and tie with Oxley and his mom at the ceremony where his dad is named Associate Dean (or perhaps Dean) at Marshall College. (As I think we caught a glimpse of in the "That's A Wrap!" video.)

That's how I would write it anyway. A wedding scene seems too on the nose... as if from a lesser film... and not truly in keeping with Marion and Indy's on-again, off-again, tumultuous relationship. I wouldn't marry them on the page if I were Koepp. Give Indy a son, fine... but don't domesticate him!

Last edited:

Indy Black

Intresting, remember Indy hates his given name so no wonder Mutt chose his name; plus I'm curious to see how Indy treats him given how his own father wasn't around for much of his own childhood/teen years. Hope for the best that's what I'm going into the movie with.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
*does happy dance*

Don't ask me why, but I'd rather Mutt being Indy's son than not.

(y)