Mutt's Silhouette?

Is this a planned look into the future of the character or not?

• Total voters

Montana Smith

Peru1936 said:
Bah. It's nothing. The last scene is clear enough indication that Mutt is not going to pick up the fedora.

If it's foreshadowing of any kind, it most likely is hinting on that Mutt is Indy's son.

Lucas double bluff or Lucas teasing?

Fedora planted his hat onto the young Indiana's head, which was symbolic of passing the torch.

Mutt attempted to put the fedora onto his own head, but Indy prevented him. It's symbolic that Indy isn't ready to hang up his hat yet, or pass the torch. He isn't ready, and neither is Mutt. Between now and the next film, though, Mutt may have earned the right.

I just hate to see Indy having to give up the hat... to anyone!

tambourineman

Coincidence. Its Indy's shadow. Look at the light source, the shadow cant come from Mutt. If it was Mutt's shadow, the side of his head (which is in shadow) would be where the light is hitting.

Still a cool little picture though, reminds me of Anakin's Vader shadow in AOTC. Apparently that wasnt planned or altered, it was just Anakin's real shadow but looked just like Vader.

Indysolo12

Insomniac said:
Don't know of this is worth a thread but take a look at this shot.
2301199_7e7f_625x625.jpg

Anything interesting?

Lucas likes to add silhouettes to show where charectors are going like the promo poster for Phantom Menace or maybe just to make downright badass shot.

Do you think this is a planned shot or just a stupid observation?

I think it was almost like the teaser to Star Wars Episode I http://www.padawansguide.com/gifs2/tpm_teaser.jpg

Peru1936

Supposedly, according to what Lucas is currently formulating, Mutt will not inherit the fedora. He had considered it, but there was quite a lot of backlash from the fanbase.

I still think that particular shot means nothing (and if it does nothing more than a foreshadowing that Mutt is Indy's son), and I still will not go see the Adventures of Mutt Jones.

James

If it was planned, this would probably be Spielberg's decision more than Lucas'. Personally, I think it was just another case of Spielberg framing the shot to incorporate Indy's silhouette. (He mentioned several times that he took great care with his shot compositions during filming.)

As for the "foreshadowing Indy's son" idea, it just strikes me as being too late in the film for such a gimmick. It would've made a lot more sense earlier in the film, when we were still being introduced to the character. (I suppose we could argue that it was meant to imply Mutt was slowly discovering the truth, but it all seems rather thin.)

Peru1936

James said:
As for the "foreshadowing Indy's son" idea, it just strikes me as being too late in the film for such a gimmick. It would've made a lot more sense earlier in the film, when we were still being introduced to the character. (I suppose we could argue that it was meant to imply Mutt was slowly discovering the truth, but it all seems rather thin.)

Like I said, I don't think it means anything at all; however, if it were to mean anything it's likely the aforementioned foreshadowing. I don't think it would've been too late to foreshadow it during that scene. It is afterall the first time we see Mutt actually on an adventure (and he'd only been in the film for about twenty-five minutes by that point).

Anyway, it's all distracting me from my point: it's doesn't mean a thing. Just the same, Indy' silhouette is always a cool shot.