My New Akubra Federation Deluxe IV (Moonstone)

hulkamad

I'm a long time lurker and as my first post I'd like to show off my new Akubra Federation Deluxe IV in Moonstone. It is incredible! I love it!

9frontup.jpg
[/IMG]

10side.jpg
[/IMG]

This is what it looks like bashed and on my noggin'.

21TopDown.jpg
[/IMG]

27ForwardLeftF.jpg
[/IMG]

26LeftForwardF.jpg
[/IMG]

24RightForwardF.jpg
[/IMG]

23LeftF.jpg
[/IMG]

22RightF.jpg
[/IMG]

I know my face looks like I took a peek inside the ark of the covenant :dead: , but I'm one of those people who's paranoid about posting a pic of myself online, so I blurred it out. What do you guys and gals think?

I didn't give it any specific bash or crease, I just did what I felt looked and felt good.

hulkamad

Thanks!

Thanks! I really love it. Everyone I run into has nice comments about it. :) I can wear it with just about anything and it always looks great. I'm dying for an excuse to but on my pin-striped suit along with the lid.

tambourineman

Anyone else had much experience with this hat? The store that sells it advertises it as
Hatsdirect and Akubra Hats, together set about creating a new hat, selecting an older hat block set from that era. Advice from Mark Cross (Indygear.com) and Steve Delk (the hat maker for the latest Indiana Jones movie, Adventurebuilt) have assisted with advice and specifications for the new hat.

So it should be pretty accurate, and Akubra are a great hat maker, an icon here in australia. Its also very reasonably priced. So Im very interested in it. But Im wondering how much work is involved in shaping it and if any cutting needs to be done? Im not too keen on taking a pair of scissors to a $160 hat. And is it worth paying that for the deluxe or is the standard pretty good?

Last edited:

tambourineman

Well I went ahead and bought the Fed deluxe. Wow, I cant get over the quality of this hat, the felt, the lining, the band, beautiful. After a couple hours of playing with it Ive got it looking very Indy-ish. Hardest part was shaping the brim, it kept wanting to go back flat, but its looking good now.