My review of KOCS

Yure

Hello everybody, the title of the topic says it all. This morning (it's 3:20 PM here in Italy) I managed to see Indy 4 in Rome. Can't say exactly how I could get in or they'll sue my pants off, but I'll say it involves dubbing ;) I0m still shaking and have permanent goosebumps for the excitement, I went on a trip through my childhood's best emotions :)

First of all, I have to say I'm ENTHUSIASTIC about the movie. Watching it I tried to forget about my fan status and tried to be submerged by the movie, and I have to say, it really takes you inside the picture, and I believe it would work as well for fans, cause it's Indy, but for the average moviegoer, cause it'a great action movie.

Second, something that will probably be speculated a lot in the regular magazines... Harrison Ford looks AWESOME, he's in an incredibly good shape, you can clearly see that he performs a big amount of stunts because you can see his face clearly in the shot. Age is quite not an issue in this movie, altought of course it gets its (balanced) load of jokes and references, that work in an efficient way expecially in the relation between Indy and Mutt.

About Indy, the character has been drawn deep in his emotions. We see, at least in the first part (after the usual pre-adventure section that introduces Spalko, Dovchenko and Mac), a different Indy. He's fragile, mostly lonely, pretty much proved by some tough years, the World War II, the death of Marcus and his father, both missings you can really feel through Indy's emotions.

Cate Blanchett seems to me a little weak in the acting, sometimes over the edge in a caricatural way, but Spalko is overall a cool character whose obsessions are almost equal as Indy's, altought on another level.

Unexpected good performance by Shia, the truth that's Indy's son, revealed later in the movie, is delivered with the nice irony you'll expect. And the scene of the snake Mutt gives Indy to escape from quicksands IS indeed a pleasure for fans, it's snake or life, and finally we see some quicksand struggle for Indy :)

Loved Mac, his character, tragic and comic at the same time, is in a continous moral struggle that in the end gets his reabilitation, but at the highest cost possible.

Everything you expect from an Indiana Jones movie is there, the iconic presentation of the hero, the wit, the irony, the action, beautiful exotic locations, romance. And yes, the aliens are there, but they work incredibly well in the plot, that references the 50s movies and nuclear scare in an elegant and mature way, (but if you expect giant beasts or nuclear creatures you'll be disapponted) and the action is always fast paced and tense, when Indy escapes a nuclear explosion in a test facility you can actually feel the vibrations of the bomb. The 50s are there in many ways, the atom, the grease, the diners, the (liminal) politics.

Sets are HUGE, bigger than TOD and often as dark. The music is of course great, often LC but mostly Raiders, with a more than occasional eerie feel that works great with the mysterious magnetism of the skull. Lots of references to the previous movies of course (Ark anyone?), sometime to tell something about the characters for the newbies, sometimes just candy for us geeks.

Oh, I'm not saying anything of the big finale, but I can anticipate it involves Marion ;)

------------------- OK! STOP HERE! ---------------------

Of course I haven't seen the movie yet. This review is completely bogus and is just an example of how it's possible to write a (kind of) beliveable and possibly biased review of the movie just with a mere knowledge of what has circulated in the last weeks in the spoiler section and some wishful but logical assumptions over the plot. It's just to prove a point that the reviews that circulated, and that are full of uncalled for hatred for Indy, may be fake (or based on just some samples of the movie, like the beginning), but surely are overbiased.

I hope I haven't disapponted anyone, what I hope is that the review I'll write after watching Indy 4 will be pretty much like the one I just wrote, but I have a pretty good feeling about it :)

A_True_Believer

I want to shake your hand and kick you in the face at the same time. Is that even possible? ;)

This is a great wake-up call. Your "review" was so well written that I thought it was legit - a good lesson for all of us.

It's a bit dissappointing, though; I love the "movie" you described and I can only hope the real thing is similar.

peterlally

I was skeptical of it being real, but some part of me didnt want to read on in case it was real,

Good work on showing how easy it is I was thinking of doing something like that myself buut just couldn't be bothered. Top Marks

Good Show old Chap!

lynchpin

And this warranted a new thread? The point has been beaten to death, fellow Raiders. We get it. It's easy to make fake reviews. No "real" people are getting credit for these things--they're all written under pseudynoms that grant the author no fame or fortune nor recognition. Take 'em for what they're worth. And they're not worth twenty pages of repetitious bickering and lambasting others opinions.

Wait for the actual intended press screenings on the 18th and after so that we may have some REAL content to discuss. This is fluff, and for some reason it has ruffled quite a few feathers.

The_Raiders

I was confused at first too. I was thinking, "No way, Yure got to see the movie early?!" Then I read your review and it sounded very beleivable to me, (is that bad:eek: ) Good leson :p :hat:

Yure

Thank you all guys...

@Indy4fan: so if the keyboard is mightier than the sword, what's mightier between pen and keyboard??:D

@A_True_Believer: believe me, the movie you expect is there, finished and waiting for you (and us), we just have to wait a liiiiittle more!

Can't... take it... must... see.... indy4....