National Geographic Adventure of Archaeology Exhibition

Stoo

The Drifter said:
I bet that was so sexy up close.
'Twas sexy, indeed, Drifter! Except that the Ark showcase is jammed up against a wall and a pedestal of another display so you can't walk around it.(n)
The Drifter said:
Can it be? Stoo wants to know what someone else was eating!?
(Joshing with you, Stoo)
Heh heh.;) I only ask this because I sent Attila a list of restaurant recommendations. (Knowing your tastes, Drifter, you might like poutine! It's a heart attack on a plate but, boy, it's delicious. Yummy!:D)

Where are you, Attila?:confused: Looking forward to your report...

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Stoo said:
Where are you, Attila?:confused: Looking forward to your report...

I know, I know...busy days!

But, to get those three questions out of the way:

1) Yes, for the most part. Not much fans like us might learn, but I have come back with some subjects for research. And the exhibit is, for the most part, quite well done.
2) No, but I had on a prior trip to Montreal nearly ten years ago.
3) Yes. It was excellent.

Stoo

Attila the Professor said:
Not much fans like us might learn,...
Agreed. On my 1st visit, I barely used the hand-held audio/video guide because the information was too basic for a hardcore fan. For my 2nd visit, the only time I used it was to record the Harrison audio. (Looking back, I regret not using the device more and I'd love to have one as a souvenir.) Even so, I thought the exhibit as a whole was superb and it exceeded my expectations.

Anyway, it's unfortunate that no other N.American Ravenheads went so I'm really glad that you made the effort to go, Attila (and that you enjoyed Schwartz's:D). That said, there is one other AVID Indy fan going on the 2nd to last day.

The official website still has no word on what the next city is. (Let's hope it's London for the UK fans.) Less than 3 weeks left to go in Montreal, folks!:whip:

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Stoo said:
Agreed. On my 1st visit, I barely used the hand-held audio/video guide because the information was too basic for a hardcore fan. For my 2nd visit, the only time I used it was to record the Harrison audio.

See, I did the opposite. The only audio I skipped were a couple pieces of the hieroglyphic explanations. (As we get further into this, we'll/I'll have to mention what some of the non-Indy material was - it was, on the whole, quite good.) I also didn't bother with all of the film clips, which were locales for bottlenecks more than anything else.

Stoo said:
That said, there is one other AVID Indy fan going on the 2nd to last day.

I'm sure this shoe will drop sooner or later...

Anyhow, while I was unable to take any photos - it was <I>extremely</I> crowded the day I was there, and it seemed prohibitively difficult and not entirely worth the risk - I did take some substantial notes, including on some of the matters you folks specifically asked for.

Among other things, I think we might be able to nail down a location for Akator.

Stoo

(As we get further into this, we'll/I'll have to mention what some of the non-Indy material was - it was, on the whole, quite good.)
For starters, the biggest eye-popper for me was seeing Hiram Bingham's actual journal of discovering Machu Picchu, complete with his photos & handwritten notes. Would've loved to have been able turn those pages!
I'm sure this shoe will drop sooner or later...
Let's hope so...Hint: He will (without a doubt) buy all 11 T-shirts.;)
Anyhow, while I was unable to take any photos - it was <I>extremely</I> crowded the day I was there, and it seemed prohibitively difficult and not entirely worth the risk -
The crowds during my 1st time around made it much easier to take photos compared to the emptiness of my 2nd visit. Like the saying goes, 'safety in numbers'.
- I did take some substantial notes, including on some of the matters you folks specifically asked for.

Among other things, I think we might be able to nail down a location for Akator.
Looking forward to hearing about all this, Attila! In the meantime:

Did you notice the amount of unpainted (or un-electroplated) grooves in the hair on the back of the Idol's head? (I'm guessing that this was the prop Harrison carried during the boulder chase scene.) Those white lines ain't light reflections, folks. They are the base material of the sculpt.

Exhibit_Idol.jpg

Stoo

Harrison Ford Audio Transcription

For those of you who can't make it to the exhibit, this is what Harry-baby says when you punch in 001 on the hand-held audio/visual guide:

---
Welcome, to "Indiana Jones and the Adventure of Archaeology". I'm Harrison Ford. Three decades ago, when I put on Indy's hat and picked up the whip, I had no idea, "Raiders of the Lost Ark", would be the first of four films that helped inspire a generation of young scientists to delve into humanity's collective past. You are about to embark on an exciting adventure.

In ancient times, some of our ancestors began to examine their humble beginnings. Their curiosity evolved over thousand of years to become the rigorous scientific pursuit that, today, we call, Archaeology - the study of human history. Aside from fame and glory, Indiana Jones was motivated to better understand who we are by discovering who we were. In this exhibition, we'll take a journey from the escapades of Indiana Jones to the facts behind the movies, which are the real adventures of archaeology. I hope your visit will provide you with a deeper understanding of what an archaeologist does and what this exciting field of science can teach us. We look to our past to inform our present. Perhaps there's a little Indy in all of us.

I invite you. Put on your hat, pick up your whip and join us...in the Adventure of Archaeology.

---
9 days left in North America!

Exhibit_Website_02.jpg

Stoo said:
For those of you who can't make it to the exhibit, this is what Harry-baby says when you punch in 001 on the hand-held audio/visual guide:
Thanks for that!:)

Wish there was a bit more to say from you and Attila...

I almost had a window to go this week, but it slammed on my fingers. I'm hoping I can eek out a visit next week...

Stoo

Rocket Surgeon said:
Thanks for that!:)
Early last week, I e-mailed you an .MP3 of Harrison's intro. Did you listen to it? (I know that Raven member, IrishJedi, did!)
Rocket Surgeon said:
Wish there was a bit more to say from you and Attila...

I almost had a window to go this week, but it slammed on my fingers. I'm hoping I can eek out a visit next week...
Argh! I feel your pain, Rocket. A good friend of mine went ot see it a couple of days ago and he's not even a fan. (Hasn't seen "Crystal Skull"). This is what he wrote.

"I went to see the Indiana Jones exhibition at the science museum the other day. Very interesting. I am not sure how you lost your photos of it Stoo as photography was strictly prohibited. Were you a naughty boy?

It was indeed a good exhibition. The Indiana stuff was good, but also the other exhibits. I didn?t know about Leonard Woolley and Ur. How cool was that!"

On my 1st visit, the rooms with the non-Indy stuff were very crowded so I didn't spend too much time in them. The 2nd time, I was in a hurry and didn't go in them at all. As a result, I completely missed the section on Ur.

In the Jim Steranko thread, I told you about the small size of his production painting - approx. 10" x 20" (25cm x 50cm) but one of the highlights for me was the matte painting for Pankot Palace because it was GIGANTIC! (The unsused, daylight version of the sunset shot.) That was one item I pored over for awhile, looking at all the details. You could see all of Mike Pangrazio's brush strokes. It was a beauty to behold.(y)
Johnny Nys said:
Any news on the other cities in the tour?
Still nothing on the official site. Keep checking this link after Sunday, it's last day.

http://www.indianajonestheexhibition.com/tickets.html
I know, I know, I've been quite remiss in that regard. I can promise to redress that in the coming three days.
Looking forward to it, Attila. Are you going to include a review of your tasty, smoked meat sandwich at Schwartz's?;)

inky_skin

From what I can glean from their Facebook page, the exhibition will make it's European debut in Valencia, Spain. However, no word on whether this is the next destination, or there will be others inbetween Montreal and there...

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Indiana-Jones-and-the-Adventure-of-Archaeology/169410763085130#!/pages/Indiana-Jones-and-the-Adventure-of-Archaeology/169410763085130?sk=wall

CORRECTION: Next stop IS Valencia.

Last edited:

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Stoo said:
On my 1st visit, the rooms with the non-Indy stuff were very crowded so I didn't spend too much time in them. The 2nd time, I was in a hurry and didn't go in them at all. As a result, I completely missed the section on Ur.

The non-Indy rooms were very good, but one or two of them were hindered by the interactive game that you could play, which led people to be hunting around those rooms for reasons other than the artifacts exhibited.

Stoo said:
In the Jim Steranko thread, I told you about the small size of his production painting - approx. 10" x 20" (25cm x 50cm) but one of the highlights for me was the matte painting for Pankot Palace because it was GIGANTIC! (The unsused, daylight version of the sunset shot.) That was one item I pored over for awhile, looking at all the details. You could see all of Mike Pangrazio's brush strokes. It was a beauty to behold.(y)

Indeed, this was one of the best pieces to see. However, I believe this was also one of those for which there was no audio/video component, and for which the number had been taped over. "Location Scouting" was the title for one of the images at that point, whether it had been the painting or whatever was directly above it. Where there missing numbers when you had visited, Stoo?

Stoo said:
Looking forward to it, Attila. Are you going to include a review of your tasty, smoked meat sandwich at Schwartz's?;)

It's a fine sandwich; I can't deny that. And the local Black Cherry soda that they had available there in cans was great too. Not sure if it was the ideal thing to eat right before a trek up to the top of Mont Royal, but that was the sequence of events.

Morsoth

You saw it on Saturday @ Montreal!

Amazing! It took me 3 hours 15 minutes to complete the exhibition with my girlfriend. I wish they'll sell the videos available during the visit someday on Blu-ray or even DVDs. It was really interesting!

Stoo said:
Early last week, I e-mailed you an .MP3 of Harrison's intro. Did you listen to it?
I did! I edited down and cleaned it up, (slightly), and sent it off to the Brothers. Doom Town was VERY appreciative, as am I.:hat: I love that stuff, it's short and sweet, very similar to the voice work he did for the King Tut exhibit.

I just wish they would get him to do a full fledged audio tour!
Stoo said:
...one of the highlights for me was the matte painting for Pankot Palace because it was GIGANTIC! (The unsused, daylight version of the sunset shot.) That was one item I pored over for awhile, looking at all the details. You could see all of Mike Pangrazio's brush strokes. It was a beauty to behold.(y)
Sounds amazing. I would love to see all of the matte paintings...I could imagine placing it in front of a bay window so the natutral light could bring it to life, especially as the sun sets!

Stoo

inky_skin said:
CORRECTION: Next stop IS Valencia.
Now THERE is the news that everyone has being waiting for! All hail, Inky Skin!:D (Surprised the next stop was not in the U.K. but...Valencia? I would have thought Madrid or Barcelona for Spain. Anyway, there seems to be a substantial fan base in Spain so it's all good.)
Daley said:
I've just found another link which shows us a few more photographs from the exhibition!! Very exciting :D

http://www.mintinbox.net/reportages/Expo_Indiana_Jones_Montreal/films
That guy is "Fedoraiders" at the Indy Lounge fan forum. Apparently, he was the *1st* person through the door on opening day! There are at least 3 Montrealers at that forum and they've been posting photos. (The only reason I joined there.) Thanks for posting the link, Daley.(y)
Morsoth said:
Amazing! It took me 3 hours 15 minutes to complete the exhibition with my girlfriend. I wish they'll sell the videos available during the visit someday on Blu-ray or even DVDs. It was really interesting!
Salut, Morsoth. Un autre Montréalais. Génial!:hat: I also thought the graphic videos were very cool. Some of them can be downloaded at the official website. http://www.indianajonestheexhibition.com/ (That said, on my 2nd visit, I could've easily walked away with the hand-held device. They guy at the counter was a slacker!)
Rocket Surgeon said:
I edited down and cleaned it up, (slightly), and sent it off to the Brothers. Doom Town was VERY appreciative, as am I.:hat: I love that stuff, it's short and sweet, very similar to the voice work he did for the King Tut exhibit.
Sweet. If you get the chance, could you please send me your 'cleaned up' version?
Indeed, this was one of the best pieces to see. However, I believe this was also one of those for which there was no audio/video component, and for which the number had been taped over. "Location Scouting" was the title for one of the images at that point, whether it had been the painting or whatever was directly above it. Where there missing numbers when you had visited, Stoo?
Don't know if there were any missing numbers because I barely used the audio/video device and wasn't paying much attention to them. The number was taped over? Hmm...that's weird.

It kills me to know that you were walking around my neighbourhood while I wasn't there!:( Following your review of the best Montreal smoked meat sandwich + a Black Cherry soda (woo-hoo, love that stuff), I can't resist posting this photo: I took Inky Skin's action figure to Schwartz's back in May 2010!(y)

Indy_Canada_Montreal_06.jpg

I'm home from our adventure to Montreal to see the exhibit (on Sept 17th)... It was awe inspiring. And picture taking was plenty easy (a guard even saw me and just kept going by)...

Stoo - I couldn't buy all 11 shirts - they only had 9 left. Plus it's actually 12 because one of them (the exhibit poster art) comes in both French and English. They only had English left and they didn't have the other one at all. Argh!

I'll upload my pictures to our site this week and give a link where folks can go and download if they wish.

throwmetheidol said:
...only had English left and they didn't have the other one at all. Argh!

Thanks again Stoo! Glad to have "aquired" one early...:hat:

Hoping the Frenchie one gets my boy into a scrap or two...toughen him up a bit!