National Geographic Adventure of Archaeology Exhibition

Stoo

Dr. Gonzo said:
Yes, Stoo... we do prefer to call it "laid back" ...me and Horse are just chillaxin':cool:
Chillaxin'. Heh, never heard that term before, Gonzo.:) (Some of my present co-workers are in San Rafael and they are definitely the chillaxin' kind!:p)

When (not if) any of you "laid back" dudes go to the exhibit, can you check out the sunbeams on the Ark to see if they are relief or engraved?

Trying to help this guy out: Beginning a 1:1 Ark build

Community effort & all that jazz.;)

Daley

Collection of Exhibit photos

I've just come across this fairly extensive gallery of photographs from the exhibition, thanks to a link over at another Indy forum (fortuneandglory.org)

The uploader's name is Neutronbomb, and he very kindly shared his entire collection of images (294 in total) - I thought this deserved a share since we haven't had many photo updates on this once in a lifetime exhibit in ages, and the images are excellent, some displaying incredible details:

http://s615.beta.photobucket.com/user/neutronbomb_photos/library/Indy Exhibit?start=all

Stoo

Hi, Daley. Happy New Year, mate.:hat: Thanks for the link to Neutronbomb's photos but it made me realize that none of the California Raven Dudes have gone yet.

REMINDER: The exhibit in Santa Ana is now half way done. There are only 3 months left (until April 21) so anyone planning on going should do it before it's too late.:whip:

Visits can be reserved here:
http://www.indianajonestheexhibition.com/tickets.html

Re. Neutronbomb's photos: The promotional truck is much better than the one they used in Montreal (too modern). Check out the building in the background, it looks like sand dunes at sunset. VERY cool photos!(y)

IMG_3027.jpg

IMG_3025.jpg

InexorableTash

Stoo said:
Are you California Ravenhead Dudes really THAT lazy? When are you going to get off your tukas and go see this thing?!?:confused::p

Are you volunteering to come babysit for a few days? ;)

(Seeing props isn't really my thing, for reasons that baffle me. Otherwise I could probably make the trip.)

Allie Mac Kay was live from the Indian Jones exhibit at the Discovery Science Center checking out the props, models, costumes from Raiders of the Lost Ark and Temple of Doom, plus REAL historical artifacts.

<iframe src='http://widget.newsinc.com/single.html?WID=1&VID=24242754&freewheel=69016&sitesection=ktla&w=600&h=338' height='338' width='600' scrolling='no' frameborder='0' marginwidth='0' marginheight='0'></iframe>

Indiana Jones and the Adventure of Archaeology is open now through April 21
?See props, models, concept art and costumes
?View real-world artifacts from around the world
?Play the interactive quest game
?Experience the Kids Adventure Zone

Get your tickets at www.discoverycube.org

Stoo

InexorableTash said:
Are you volunteering to come babysit for a few days? ;)

(Seeing props isn't really my thing, for reasons that baffle me. Otherwise I could probably make the trip.)
Tash, I'm great with kids but you'd have a better chance asking my girlfriend. Right now, she's in San Rafael across the bridge from you.:)

Rather than just a standard prop show, this is a multi-media Indy trip. Film, music, sound effects, the hand device (its graphics/animations are pretty cool) and the design of the antechambers make for an immersive experience. For this Indy fan, my visits were quite surreal, actually. There was TOO MUCH to absorb!

I've said it before but seeing the original (unused) matte painting of Pankot Palace was a wonderful opportunity. Even the 2nd time around, it's enormous size & detail marvelled me and was worth the ticket price alone. That goes for the other artwork, too. Inspecting them up close & personal was a treat. After 3 decades of seeing Sternako's paintings in books & magazines, one of them was right there in front of my face! Prints & photos do no justice for the actual texture of the pieces (as with anything). Finally seeing some of the items in the flesh made me feel just like I did when laying eyes on iconic things such as the Mona Lisa or King Tut's mask.

Wouldn't you like having a chance to drool on the glass that covers Hiram Bingham's journal?:p

Heck, bring the kids along! It has an interactive, educational, treasure-hunt game, designed for kids! With the hand device, they have to follow clues to certain parts of the exhibit and look for a hidden area embedded with an electronic chip. Hold the device next to the chip and collect a point in a certain category. Near the end there is a room with video displays of all the kids' names & their scores.

Not sure about Valencia but, in Montreal, the room before the kids' scores showcased LOCAL archaeological artifacts (most of this stuff was found while digging the tunnels for the Metro system & our underground city). If anyone is into Californian history, it's a good bet they'll have some interesting items on display.

All that said...if you don't go, you'll live...but you might be pleased that you did if you do.:p
Rocket Surgeon said:
Allie Mac Kay was live from the Indian Jones exhibit at the Discovery Science Center checking out the props, models, costumes from Raiders of the Lost Ark and Temple of Doom, plus REAL historical artifacts.
Thanks for posting the video, Rocket.:hat: Any TV coverage is good coverage. (There might be more clips out there because "Allie" says they will "check out" more in the next hour.)

Gotta love this bit from KTLA's Allie Mac Kay:
"Dan, for people that love Indiana Jones, you're mixin' in not only stuff from the movies...but learnin'."

DOOMSTOWNFRIDGE

Daley said:
I've just come across this fairly extensive gallery of photographs from the exhibition, thanks to a link over at another Indy forum (fortuneandglory.org)

The uploader's name is Neutronbomb, and he very kindly shared his entire collection of images (294 in total) - I thought this deserved a share since we haven't had many photo updates on this once in a lifetime exhibit in ages, and the images are excellent, some displaying incredible details:

http://s615.beta.photobucket.com/user/neutronbomb_photos/library/Indy Exhibit?start=all

shame there is a lack of KOTCS pics/costumes

Stoo

Reminder

The last day in Santa Ana is April 21st. If any of you were planning on going on a weekend, you only have 8 left to choose from.;)

russds

I went about a week ago. here are some pictures:

http://s1164.beta.photobucket.com/user/russds/library/Archaeology Exhibition

The event is really nice, it's well made, well put together, they have these nice little ipod things, which you can punch in a number, and hear all about every piece they have. There's a nice introduction by Harrison Ford. One touch I thought was nice, is they have scenes of the movie playing. It may sound corny, but just watching some of the classic scenes (boulder chase, dessert chase, etc.) in a museum type environment was really nice. Almost like the scenes themselves were museum 'pieces'. :) the props were nice, actually the real archaeology stuff was nice too. They choose stuff that correlates to the films, and interesting stuff in general (example huge statue head pieces found).

As far as pictures, from what I saw the rule was "No flash photography", when I saw that i was kicking myself for not bringing my good camera....good excuse to go again. :)

russds said:
I went about a week ago. here are some pictures:

http://s1164.beta.photobucket.com/user/russds/library/Archaeology Exhibition
As far as pictures, from what I saw the rule was "No flash photography", when I saw that i was kicking myself for not bringing my good camera....good excuse to go again. :)

About to check out your pics...if possible, can you get a good, quality picture of the pins on Mutt's leather jacket?

I believe one hasn't been identified yet...because there's no quality picture available.

:hat:

Stoo

russds said:
I went about a week ago.
Good for you, man!:hat: How much time did you spend going through and what did you think of the Pankot Palace painting?

Out of all the people from California on this board, it's nice to know that at least *one* person went! It's been 6 months already.

5 weeks left, dudes!:whip:
russds said:
Heh, I hear ya, Russ. Shortly after my 1st visit, my camera & computer got stolen so I lost all of my photos. My 2nd visit was a rush job with a crappy camera.:(
Rocket Surgeon said:
...if possible, can you get a good, quality picture of the pins on Mutt's leather jacket?
Let's hope he can. I took a photo of Mutt's pins but it came out so poorly that I never bothered posting it. (The zoom on the iPhone3 is terrible and it wasn't possible to get a close shot because of the glass case). So if Russ goes back, hopefully he can get a better shot than this:

Exhibit_MuttPins_zps40a36411.jpg

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Well, folks, I decided I couldn't be patient to wait for a couple of years for this to come here....

So.... Science Discovery Center, Santa Ana.....

Hold Onto Ya Hats....

I'm coming next week!!!!! :whip:

It happened to co-incide with good timing, so as part of the Ultimate Geek trip including Wondercon, Disneyland and Universal, I'm going for the Indy Exhibition. (It's not an official trip, I'm just caling it that).