"Nazis in DOD was a creative lapse." - Director of Fate Of Atlantis

Lance Quazar

The script is drastically different from what we got on screen. The film discards a lot of what’s in it, in favor of Spielberg setting up gags, scares, laughs, and incredible staging and set pieces. The pacing is perfect because they all land.
That's the process, though. I'm sure the earlier drafts of the script were shaggier, but (hopefully) things get streamlined and refined along the way. And, as the saying goes, the last rewrite is done in the editing room.

FordFan

That's the process, though. I'm sure the earlier drafts of the script were shaggier, but (hopefully) things get streamlined and refined along the way. And, as the saying goes, the last rewrite is done in the editing room.
Totally the process. And in every movie in the OT, they tended to set the script aside and rewrite on the day. I'm just saying TOD seemed the most improvised. They had the broad strokes, but once they get to Pankot, and especially in the second half, it's all set pieces.

michael

set the script aside and rewrite on the day.

Dial needed this. All the ingredients were there.

It's like how some burgers with the exact same toppings & condiments don't taste as good as others with the exact condiments & toppings.

it's the way you put it together.

Spiked

Dial needed this. All the ingredients were there.

It's like how some burgers with the exact same toppings & condiments don't taste as good as others with the exact condiments & toppings.

it's the way you put it together.
And where you eat it, who you eat it with, how much it costs and how hungry you are. :hat:

michael

Now, do you have ANYTHING interesting to say, or are we all going to go round and round ad infinitum?

You are rapidly approaching 'ignore' territory. Jus' sayin'.

i've said numerous things interesting about the film.

ignore me all you want. i'll get over it.

michael

Always with the negative waves!

My conclusion? You get off on this, don't you?

wtf? 🙃

you literally said you were about to ignore me. i said go ahead.

yet that's getting off on this?

what do you want me to do? apologize for my burger analogy?

it's a freaking movie. my goodness.

Spiked

In that case I agree, I'm sure there's plenty of ways to make a great film out of a purely invented MacGuffin, even crystal skulls.
But I'm not arguing about how great a film COULD be using an already debunked MacGuffin, I'm pointing out that we have the evidence in KOTCS - it's the only film in the Indy series that does this, and it's pretty average at best, and considered by many to be the worst of the 5.

Granted, there are many reasons why Skull isn't as good as the others, but a hodgepodge story around a weak and poorly thought out macguffin is one of them.
According to Hitchcock in a good story the nature of the macguffin doesn't even matter. Think "Pulp Fiction" where you never see the macguffin.

Last edited: