new Indy Answer from Hasbro

Goonie

Is Hasbro still doing the Q&A sessions?

I think it would be interesting to ask them how sales were on Indy products during the Christmas season.;)

vf wing

In the for what it's worth department, I found it curious that the three Ultimate Indy Adventure playsets that sat on the shelf at our local Walmart virtually untouched for several months all sold out between Black Friday and Christmas.

bonoferox

You wouldnt belive how much stores around here emptied out before Christmas (before any clearances hit). All Targets and Toys R Us were virtually empty and Walmarts pretty much had nothing but Mutt and RPG Indy excess. The jacketed KOTCS Indy became near impossible to find when I wanted another one (still looking, actually).

I'm wondering why, if Indy sales didn't meet their expectations, why did I get a postcard saying they didn't have enough Crystal Skeletons, and they have to make more to fill orders????

Billy Ray

Little Indy said:
Can anyone tell me if the 12" TOD Indy was ever released to retail, EVER?

As far as I know, no, it never made it out...which is a darned shame as it was the only 12" Hasbro version of Indy that I was really looking forward to.

Billy Ray

Hard to believe that Hasbro is still answering Indy questions, but here is the lateset Hasbro Q&A from IndianaJonesCollectors:

IndianaJonesCollectors: While some rumored-but-cancelled Indiana Jones items can be confirmed (the German Motorcycle has peg holes where the rumored sidecar would have gone) was there any truth to the rumor that a 3 ¾? scaled Flying Wing vehicle was in development for the Indiana Jones line?

Hasbro: Yes indeed, a 3-3/4" scaled flying wing *was* in development before the Indiana Jones program was crated up to await another film, should there be one. While the model was finished, it was never tooled.

IndianaJonesCollectors: The recently released Temple of Doom Mola Ram is hands-down the best 4? scale action figure of the past several years ? even including the Star Wars line. The figures from the Temple of Doom wave have an attention to detail and deep understanding of the films that is truly remarkable ? for example, I recently discovered the Sankara stones hidden in TOD Indy?s satchel and the cut marks on the back of his shirt. For a die-hard fan of the type that quibbles over an incorrect lightsaber included with a Star Wars figure, discovering tiny details like this weeks after purchase is unique. My question is was the TOD wave designed/conceptualized by the same team and manufactured by the same factories as the earlier first two waves? They almost appear to have been done by a completely different set of people at every level, from conceptualization to choice of accessories to quality of paint apps. Or was this simply a case of learn as you go?

Hasbro: We are glad that you saw the incredible attention to detail that we put into the wave, a testament to the deep fans of IJ that we are. All of the 3-3/4" IJ figures were created by the exact same design team and manufactured at the same factory. While the factory did make improvements after the first couple of batches, responding to our and Lucasfilm's high standards for quality, we think what you are seeing in the later waves reflects the result of a more normal design schedule. The first IJ figures were created on a *crazy* pace dictated by the need to develop the line on a very compressed schedule after we learned IJ IV was going to happen. Hopefully that kind of schedule will never happen again, and if we are lucky enough to tackle IJV.

IndianaJonesCollectors: I picked up the recently released 12? Indiana Jones in German Uniform. It has a great likeness to Harrison Ford - even standing side-by-side with the Medicom Indy (which sells for seven times the price!) I was amazed to realize - using a magnifying glass - that it?s the same sculpt as the first release 12? Indy witb whip action, and shares some hair sculpt attributes with the talking Indy, yet it looks so totally different visually, even very close up it looks new. Is it simply an issue of superior, non-glossy plastic that holds detail better, or better paint apps, or something else? How is it the new doll can look so completely different - and superior - yet be from the same mold?

Hasbro: It is actually the same head sculp. The Whip Crackin' Indy had a molded-on hat, so there was no hair or top of the head on that guy. So we took the same head sculpt and basically finished it from the forehead up, adding the hair and then tooled it. So it is a new tool, but not a new sculpt per se. We're glad you were happy with the likeness; we (and Lucasfilm) really liked the results of this one too. Of course, the deco is different from the first to reflect different beard stubble, scrapes and cuts, a little more tanned, and any other detail from that particular scene. You are right about the finish, too, we spec'd paint in a matte finish so it did not have a shinier plastic sheen. Thanks for the good word on this one!

The official confirmation that they were working on a flying wing makes me want to cry!

tnswman

Billy Ray said:
Hard to believe that Hasbro is still answering Indy questions, but here is the lateset Hasbro Q&A from IndianaJonesCollectors:

The official confirmation that they were working on a flying wing makes me want to cry!

Remember me telling you and Chromium about the details that I had learned about the FW? What I was told and shown was a Flying wing that broke down to fit in a box or a $30 display If Hasbro chose to do a window box version.

The last I was told, the Flying Wing was in the process of being tooled..I'm glad they secured it.

phantom train

Even though the IJ action-figure line got cancelled last year, I still wish for new figures (even though I know I'll probably never get them). I still can't find the TOD or Vogel and Elsa (LC) figures anywhere (I don't like ordering online), and also wanted all of the non-released figures like German Mechanic, Toht, Marion Ravenwood in white dress, etc.

The fact that they were working on a flying wing (that would have been released if the line had been successfull) is unfortunate - what could have been....

I still find it very ironic that these IJ figures definitely had a following (based on the traffic/posts on these boards), but that it just wasn't enough to sustain a long-term action figure line. I know this has been discussed ad naseum on these boards, but I still think a line of figures that are only sold in comic stores like the "Battlestar Galactica" & "Star Trek" line (Diamond) or the new "Masters of the Universe" line (online only) would do very well. It's obvious that any future IJ figures should be marketed soley towards collectors....

tnswman

phantom train said:
Even though the IJ action-figure line got cancelled last year, I still wish for new figures (even though I know I'll probably never get them). I still can't find the TOD or Vogel and Elsa (LC) figures anywhere (I don't like ordering online), and also wanted all of the non-released figures like German Mechanic, Toht, Marion Ravenwood in white dress, etc.

The fact that they were working on a flying wing (that would have been released if the line had been successfull) is unfortunate - what could have been....

I still find it very ironic that these IJ figures definitely had a following (based on the traffic/posts on these boards), but that it just wasn't enough to sustain a long-term action figure line. I know this has been discussed ad naseum on these boards, but I still think a line of figures that are only sold in comic stores like the "Battlestar Galactica" & "Star Trek" line (Diamond) or the new "Masters of the Universe" line (online only) would do very well. It's obvious that any future IJ figures should be marketed soley towards collectors....

It would indeed...However, It couldn't have based on the stading contracts with Lucasfilm and the factory. That was a full retail contract...An on-line exclusive contract would have to allow for TOD level ( or less ) production. And the most important part..at the LEAST, a $20.00 price per figure.

Billy Ray

tnswman said:
Remember me telling you and Chromium about the details that I had learned about the FW? What I was told and shown was a Flying wing that broke down to fit in a box or a $30 display If Hasbro chose to do a window box version.

The last I was told, the Flying Wing was in the process of being tooled..I'm glad they secured it.

I do indeed remember you saying that, and never doubted it. There are those among us though that refuse to believe anything unless it is straight from the horse's (Hasbro's) mouth.:rolleyes:

JTKenobi

tnswman said:
An on-line exclusive contract would have to allow for TOD level ( or less ) production.

Can you expand on what you mean by that? Do we know for sure the relative production numbers of the TOD wave? I think I remember production numbers hinted at in one of the Q&As. Perhaps someone refresh my memory? You figure Hasbro had to have a contract to make a certain minimum quantity.

tnswman

JTKenobi said:
Can you expand on what you mean by that? Do we know for sure the relative production numbers of the TOD wave? I think I remember production numbers hinted at in one of the Q&As. Perhaps someone refresh my memory? You figure Hasbro had to have a contract to make a certain minimum quantity.

Well, Hasbro will NEVER tell production numbers...It's something that companies have always hid. However, it appears from all the information from the Hasbro team members that I know is that the contract was more of a total production contract and not on a per-wave or per-figure basis. This allowed Hasbro to play with the final production of the line.

It also seems that the TOD figures that we saw pop up at various supermarkets were actual cases that were in the retail pipeline but never made it to the mass market retailers due to the "failure / ending" of support at the big box retail level. So, when stores like wal-mart informed Hasbro that they did not want anymore cases, these just happened to be the cases that were on hand for order when the Supermarket chains were ordering their christmas toy department stock. It seems that the on-line retailers got their orders quite early and easy. Who knows, maybe you can still order the TOD case assortment direct from Hasbro.

Part of me thinks that there is still some TOD product out there that is un-shipped. However, we will probably never know. If there is, it probably isn't much.

A few of us knew kind of early ( august ) that this line was not going to be renewed and why it was very important for people to grab the TOD wave AS SOON AS THEY SAW IT! I begged people to pre-order because based off the information I had I saw what was happening. My Hasbro guys never told me anything that was wrong but even they did not see the figures ending up at locations like Kroger. So, that was a huge bonus for collectors.

If you have been watching, around DEC, Jan, & Feb there was a HUGE re-stocking at stores like K-Mart, Big Lots and others of the once hard to find LC wave. It seems that it is actually stock that was returned to Hasbro and then offered out to the market at discount prices. Usually, we see this happen to the final wave of a line....That is another reason for us to think that the TOD stock is mostly sold. There are high numbers of TLC stock that were offered but not of TOD.

I hope that helps.

tnswman

Billy Ray said:
I do indeed remember you saying that, and never doubted it. There are those among us though that refuse to believe anything unless it is straight from the horse's (Hasbro's) mouth.:rolleyes:

What's great is that Hasbro has been pretty good about telling things regarding this line. Had I known this, I could have just let them tell the things I told and saved myself the trouble LOL!

Kevin

tnswman said:
A few of us knew kind of early ( august ) that this line was not going to be renewed and why it was very important for people to grab the TOD wave AS SOON AS THEY SAW IT! I begged people to pre-order because based off the information I had I saw what was happening. My Hasbro guys never told me anything that was wrong but even they did not see the figures ending up at locations like Kroger. So, that was a huge bonus for collectors.

The TOD wave seemed to show up more heavily in Canada. Do you think that the tri-logo carded TOD figs will be worth less in the long run that those on English-only cards?

tnswman

Kevin said:
The TOD wave seemed to show up more heavily in Canada. Do you think that the tri-logo carded TOD figs will be worth less in the long run that those on English-only cards?

You know, That's something that I noticed as well...I don't know if there was as many retailers in Canada that got the wave but since Wal-Mart did, it was more face forward.

Les at Throw me the Idol would be better suited to answer that question though.

As far as value, There will come a time when the TOD wave levels out and then actually increases value for MOC figures. There will be a difference for sure between canadian carded figures v.s. U.S. figures but it will probably be based on rarity.

Some collectors prefer collecting tri-logo cards.....others de-value them. I think it is just too early to tell.

Goonie

tnswman said:
You know, That's something that I noticed as well...I don't know if there was as many retailers in Canada that got the wave but since Wal-Mart did, it was more face forward.

Les at Throw me the Idol would be better suited to answer that question though.

As far as value, There will come a time when the TOD wave levels out and then actually increases value for MOC figures. There will be a difference for sure between canadian carded figures v.s. U.S. figures but it will probably be based on rarity.

Some collectors prefer collecting tri-logo cards.....others de-value them. I think it is just too early to tell.

For those of us that don't know, what are tri-logo cards? Does anyone have a picture? and what are MOC figures?:confused:

As far as my collection goes, I'm trying to complete it, with all figures on the Canadian card as that's what I've been getting. I still need German on Motorbike, and the TOD waves (minus Willie Scott which is the only TOD fig i've got two of. I also got one sealed Chief Temple Guard and a Temple Guard). Might be a bit harder to fing the TOD wave on the Canadian card back on places such as e-bay. I might have to resort to getting marked-up figs at comic book stores eventually.