New spoilerish LEGO-set explanatory notes

No Ticket

Blue Jay said:
somehow i don't like what the lego sets show us.
I can live with the river chase.

But the jungle cutter (Paul Banyan Machine) does not seem as it would exist in the real world. Do they have or had such things in South America? Or was it something the russian has built? I just dunno. I still try to compare it to the flying wing in rotla but i still dont like it. I hope in the movie this turns out to be okay.

Is no one listening to his post? I think he brings up a very good point that concerns me too. The idea of the jungle cutter. It seems as though it's complete fiction. No, I've no doubt they could be made... but did they ever actually exist? Something like that cooked up by any military force, let alone the Soviet Russia? As he said, if it didn't exist, it would fall into the same category as the flying wing, sort of... but that at least was based on reality (there were plans to make something like it right?)...

It just seems kind of lame for the jungle cutter to be a completely made up vehicle.

Avilos

I don't understand the complaint about the Jungle Cutter. Even if it did not actually exist it could have. The technology is not advanced or exotic! Its just basic cutting blades attached to a vechile. I am going to check but I imagine some version of this DID exist.

commontone

I also have to say, it's a weird complaint. I've seen logging operations in progress in Upper Michigan, and they use WAY weirder machinery than the "jungle cutter." It's much less exotic and made-up looking than real machines I've seen with my own eyes.

They've been clear-cutting tracts of jungle for a long time now. Surely at some point they invented a machine, if not that exact same thing, to plow through the jungle, cutting a path. And I'm sure the Russian military developed much stranger devices than that during WWII.

Kingsley

Violet Indy said:
the ants really could have been made bigger for little hands, you know
The Lego developers probably said "Ants, why'd it have to be Ants?"

I like the Spanish conquistator... some kind of crazy Aguirre.
It adds more background and depth to a "legitimazation" of the legend of the crystal skulls :eek:

tnswman

Mutt Williams said:
You're in the SPOILERS forum, what do you expect? You've already been warned:

"Beware! Entering this forum will spoil the surprise!"

WOW!! Thanks for reminding me... I would have NEVER seen that when I CLICKED ON THE LINK! Get some more posts under your hat then we will talk!

commontone

Arkimedes said:
Ok, this is only my theory after doing a little bit of internet research... What if the so called "conquistador" mini-fig in the new LEGO set is actually Hernan Cortes'?

Cortes actually died in Spain, and he conquered Mexico, not South America. But he's intriguing in this context because he supposedly gave Coronado the "Cross of Coronado," according to Last Crusade. It would be a way to continue that part of the Indy mythology.

Pizarro, on the other hand, was the conquistador who "discovered" Peru while seeking El Dorado. He also died in Lima, Peru, the city he founded. His tomb is still there, so the dead conquistador probably isn't him. But it's probably connected to him somehow.

There are soooo many connections between the conquistadors and the Incans/Mayans/Aztecs that the movie could exploit. But I bet Pizarro figures into it, somehow.

Kingsley

Pizarro was a great Bad Guy... he was evil!
That's the kind of imaginery I was needing to forgive the Crystal Skulls their lack of mytical depht :whip:

joelwatts

This is interesting in light of the blue headed skeletons in the set:

When we asked Willaru what did the skull look like he said "That the skull was clear quartz but had blue in the eyes and on the top of the head".

The crystal skull I have seen looks more like "ET" it's back protrudes about .25 - .30cm. I could see seven colors through the front part. The face was like an indian's face, triangular (the Michell-Hedges is square) the one I saw has the sides flat like "ET"s.

From http://www.v-j-enterprises.com/peruskul.html

metalinvader

joelwatts said:
This is interesting in light of the blue headed skeletons in the set:

When we asked Willaru what did the skull look like he said "That the skull was clear quartz but had blue in the eyes and on the top of the head".

The crystal skull I have seen looks more like "ET" it's back protrudes about .25 - .30cm. I could see seven colors through the front part. The face was like an indian's face, triangular (the Michell-Hedges is square) the one I saw has the sides flat like "ET"s.

From http://www.v-j-enterprises.com/peruskul.html

Wow,That's pretty interesting.It certainly describes the Lego pieces to a T.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Actually, the shape of the skull is in fact an ancient practise. With babies, they would shape their soft heads using wood on both sides so the skull which isn't fully formed at birth, forms into that long high shape at the back, or as one would describe it, like the head of "ET". I saw that in a documentary once on South American ancient cultures. The doco that was the sequel to, dare I say it, the old doco, "Chariots of the Gods". It was done in the nineties with the sidekick from 'Home Improvement" and that guy, Hawas, the egyptologist/archaeologist.

metalinvader

Violet Indy said:
Actually, the shape of the skull is in fact an ancient practise. With babies, they would shape their soft heads using wood on both sides so the skull which isn't fully formed at birth, forms into that long high shape at the back, or as one would describe it, like the head of "ET". I saw that in a documentary once on South American ancient cultures. The doco that was the sequel to, dare I say it, the old doco, "Chariots of the Gods". It was done in the nineties with the sidekick from 'Home Improvement" and that guy, Hawas, the egyptologist/archaeologist.

A link about this very practice was posted a few pages back.Pretty cool stuff.So maybe we don't get aliens in this movie just shaped skulls.....

AHegele

Regarding the ants, the largest ants in the world are the female Dorylus helvolus, which are mostly found in Southern Africa, they can grow a bit over 2 inches.

Basiceros.jpg

SterankoII

My account has finally been activated!

I don't understand the complaint about the Jungle Cutter. Even if it did not actually exist it could have. The technology is not advanced or exotic! Its just basic cutting blades attached to a vechile. I am going to check but I imagine some version of this DID exist.

Seriously? People are complaining about a jungle cutter being too advanced for the 1950s? What about the freakin' FLYING WING in Raiders of the Lost Ark?! Nobody here remembers that?! Yes, the U.S. was developing one...in the 1940s but it obviously didn't actually develop. We still totally bought that the Nazis were supposed to have one working in the 1930s. We can't believe the Soviets had a simple jungle cutting machine in the late Fifties when they were already sending Sputnik up into space? C'mon guys don't make a big deal out of this. As long as it isn't CG and it looks functional I'll buy it.

Last edited:

TheLastCrusader

SterankoII said:
My account has finally been activated!

Seriously? People are complaining about a jungle cutter being too advanced for the 1950s? What about the freakin' FLYING WING in Raiders of the Lost Ark?! Nobody here remembers that?! Yes, the U.S. was developing one...in the 1940s but it obviously didn't actually develop. We still totally bought that the Nazis were supposed to have one working in the 1930s. We can't believe the Soviets had a simple jungle cutting machine in the late Fifties when they were already sending Sputnik up into space? C'mon guys don't make a big deal out of this. As long as it isn't CG and it looks functional I'll buy it.
(y)
Welcome by the way. I'm, pretty new too actually, but I've been visiting TheRaider since god knows how long ago...

Spriggan Jones

Count another noob who has something to chime in. I'm really looking forward to some of these set pieces! I always loved the Pat Roach sequences in Raiders and TOD. I wonder if Igor Jijikine is going to be playing a soviet counterpart to his characters? This jungle cutter looks promising for an intense action sequence.

I'm so excited that they filmed at least part of that sequnce in my home state. Hehe! Its kinda cool because I first heard about the jungle cutter from someone I know who works for one of the local production comapanies. From what I heard they actually shipped them to Oahu before the big island. He got to see it upclose when they were moving it. He said it was basically a tree mulcher on threads. It has two chutes either side that are supposed to spray the wood chips off to either side almost like a snow blower or something. Unfortunatly he knows little of the actual sequence other than that its supposed to the biggest in the film and basically it's assumed somekind of fight occurs ontop the machine. He never got to go to the actual shoot on the big island. Not really a scope at all but I thought it was cool to share. It seems like such a small world sometimes.

I missed this type of sequence from Last Crusade. There is something satisfiying about seeing the villain meet a nasty end but at the same time they show so little. I wonder if they could get away with having a villain getting sprayed all over the jungle and still be pg-13? They don't need to be too graphic. Just keep it along the lines of Raiders and TOD. If they do indeeed dispatch a villain via this machine, how much do you want to bet that shoelaces getting caught in something will play a role?:hat:

To those who question the how realistic such a device is, check out this YouTube video! Like I said, It looks promising!

Tree Killer:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=_fHFIqk3UeM

bergstrom

tocksic said:
I am a bit worried about "giant ants"...

me too, it reminds me of dimwit superman producer asking that a giant spider fight superman in the thankfully abandoned, SUPERMAN REBORN. And then, he had the balls to add it in THE WILD WILD WEST. No wonder the film bombed!

Berg