OK. What about this hat?

Lord McDonald

How does the Hornets Hats 'Adventurer' fedora compare with other available hats? (adventurebilt, HJ). It's only £50/$100 and looks pretty good.

What would be the right colour for this hat? Light Sable?

eazybox

Lord McDonald said:
How does the Hornets Hats 'Adventurer' fedora compare with other available hats? (adventurebilt, HJ). It's only £50/$100 and looks pretty good.

What would be the right colour for this hat? Light Sable?

According to Steve Delk, different hat companies in England use the same supplier, so the Christys may actually be an HJ with a different label and a much lower price. I know that the sweatbands are exactly the same, and the felt also looks and feels quite similar.

In my opinion (others may disagree) the Christys is the best inexpensive Indy hat. It may even be one of the best looking at any price.

As far as durability goes, it seems to be holding up well under normal use so far. I would characterize it more as a dress hat than an outdoors hat, though; if you need a rugged hat that can take abuse from the elements on a regular basis, the Federation IV might serve you better.

The Adventurebilt tops everything else in terms of ultimate quality.
The Magnoli/Adventurebilt/HJ is also the finest quality version of the HJ available today.

As far as LOOKS go, though, in my opinion you can't go far wrong with the Christys, esp. if you want to replicate a look from any of the first 3 movies. For CS, the block shape of the Fed IV is probably better.

On the Christys, the color Light Sable is an almost exact match to the old HJ's that were used in the movies.

Here is a photo of a vintage HJ (on the left) next to a brand new Christys Adventurer in Light Sable:

000_0533.jpg

Here's another photo of a Magnoli HJ (also on the left) next to the Christys.

000_0529.jpg

Jack

Last edited:

Lord McDonald

Wonderful! I'll be buying one today then!:)

Do you know if they come 'open crown' or not?

I want to shape mine similar to Last Crusade. Not keen on the 'Raiders pinch'.

eazybox

Lord McDonald said:
Wonderful! I'll be buying one today then!:)

Do you know if they come 'open crown' or not?

I want to shape mine similar to Last Crusade. Not keen on the 'Raiders pinch'.

It comes open crown. And it's very easy to shape and holds whatever style you want to put into it well. I did the TOD bash you see in about 30 seconds-- you shouold have no problem with the LC, which is similar. Good luck.

Jack.

Lord McDonald

What colour is the hat lining?

As far as I can remember you only see it once in the movies (after the tank chase in LC) and it was white.

eazybox

Lord McDonald said:
What colour is the hat lining?

As far as I can remember you only see it once in the movies (after the tank chase in LC) and it was white.

The Christys and HJ linings are both white. You get a pretty good view of a vintage HJ logo in the scene in Donovans office in LC, when Indy removes his hat. There are also some views of HJ logos in TYIJC, but don't ask me which scenes-- or episodes. ;)

Jack

eazybox

indyclone25 said:
well if your looking for the old indy hat from 1984 theres one on ebay only 15 bucks heres the link

That is one of the original licensed Indy wool felt fedoras you have there. You can often pick one up on eBay in great condition for between $25.00 and $30.00. It's a great collector's piece.

Jack

Yure

Seriously, this picture evokes a huge cognitive dissonance... a big angry guy in an adventure costume framed in a cornucopia of sweet porcelain figurines with a tender wallpaper.

indyclone25

what can i say my wife decorated the dining room and kitchen and she has a collection of precious moments ---hey as long as i get to keep collecting my indy and star wars stuff she can collect whatever she wants ---lol

indyclone25

i wish i had a photoshop program --- i would love to do things like that but i am married with children and i guess that says it all ---lol