Old Indy should have been writing his Biography

Avilos

Watching the Old Indy bookends on YouTube - Those scenes all seem an afterthought. Taking up very little screen time of each episodes.

Maybe it would have been better to have a connection between all the Old Indy scenes. That Indy was writing his memoirs or Biography. So that way there would be some purpose to him telling these stories. In some episodes he could have been shown meeting his editor - who does not believe Indy! Then a later episode could have shown him at a book signing once it was released. Maybe even have Old Vicky show up at a book signing! That would make more sense. She read Indy's book and then decides to find him again.

metalinvader

That's a pretty cool idea.I'd imagine a book based on Indy's life would take up a few volumes.The man has led an amazing life.

I always thought it would be cool if Old Indy was sitting in some study,Full of artifacts and books and he is talking to the audience,Telling them his tales of his childhood.

Oh well,Regardless I do love the old Indy bookends.

Flannery10

Like I already said in so many threads, Old Indy should have never been cut out. Does anybody know in how many episodes Old Indy actually appeared? Just curious.

Your idea is pretty good, it would explain a lot and make the Old Indy bookends a little more realistic and less based on coincidence. But that's not how they did it I'm afraid and Lucas decided to cut out all the bookends.

Adamwankenobi

If Lucas wants the series to be used in schools, then I don't understand his logic in the re-edits. For example, a teacher instructing their class on the Easter Rebellion will have to stop the DVD midway through "Love's Sweet Song", as the second half has nothing education-wise to do with the first half.

Avilos

The other thing would have shown him...teaching! That is his job. Show him telling these stories to classrooms of students in Lectures. I am surprised Lucas never thought of that. The movies clearly show that Indy teaches courses at his College/University. Even if Old Indy has retired at his age, he still could be called in to be a guest lecturer.

Avilos

Adamwankenobi said:
If Lucas wants the series to be used in schools, then I don't understand his logic in the re-edits. For example, a teacher instructing their class on the Easter Rebellion will have to stop the DVD midway through "Love's Sweet Song", as the second half has nothing education-wise to do with the first half.

Well why not stop it halfway? Of just watch the rest for the sake of it? Nothing wrong with exposing students to bonus information!

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Adamwankenobi said:

Of course, what's really hopeful is that any teacher will be teaching on the Easter Rebellion.

oki9Sedo

Avilos said:
The other thing would have shown him...teaching! That is his job. Show him telling these stories to classrooms of students in Lectures. I am surprised Lucas never thought of that. The movies clearly show that Indy teaches courses at his College/University. Even if Old Indy has retired at his age, he still could be called in to be a guest lecturer.

Because thats not what Indy's like. He's not the kind of full-of-himself hero who brags about his past exploits to rooms full of admiring students. He'd most likely make a dry remark about people who grandstand.

Avilos

oki9Sedo said:
Because thats not what Indy's like. He's not the kind of full-of-himself hero who brags about his past exploits to rooms full of admiring students. He'd most likely make a dry remark about people who grandstand.

How is using first hand knowledge to teach about history grandstanding????

oki9Sedo

Avilos said:
How is using first hand knowledge to teach about history grandstanding????

Because he'd be showing off. "Its funny, I actually met Hitler myself...." He'd be saying that to brag, not to actually help students learn about Adolf Hitler.

Adamwankenobi

Avilos said:
Of just watch the rest for the sake of it? Nothing wrong with exposing students to bonus information!

Because realistically, few teachers would want to take up classtime on something they aren't teaching at the moment.

Attila the Professor said:
Of course, what's really hopeful is that any teacher will be teaching on the Easter Rebellion.

LOL, true. But I was just giving an example of how the DVDs would work in a classroom situation.

Stoo

Flannery10 said:
Does anybody know in how many episodes Old Indy actually appeared? Just curious.
There are 22 Old Indy segments (or 23, if you count the fact that
?Scandal? was reportedly shown in some countries as a two?part:
?New York City ? June/July 1920?).

re: ?Transylvania? bookends that you mentioned in the ?Canon? thread.
I?ve read about them, too, but am not sure that those ever aired.
?Prague? and ?Palestine? appear not to have any Old Indy either...

In a few weeks I?ll find out when I get my long?lost PAL tape transferred!
Anyone else remember?

Flannery10

Stoo said:
There are 22 Old Indy segments (or 23, if you count the fact that
?Scandal? was reportedly shown in some countries as a two?part:
?New York City ? June/July 1920?).

re: ?Transylvania? bookends that you mentioned in the ?Canon? thread.
I?ve read about them, too, but am not sure that those ever aired.
?Prague? and ?Palestine? appear not to have any Old Indy either...

In a few weeks I?ll find out when I get my long?lost PAL tape transferred!
Anyone else remember?

And in some countries "Mystery of the Blues" was aired with George Hall segments if you want to count that.

Stoo

I know, dude. I have them and you recently asked me to post them
on YouTube.:rolleyes: They?re included in the count.

Flannery10

Stoo said:
I know, dude. I have them and you recently asked me to post them
on YouTube.:rolleyes: They?re included in the count.

Sorry, didn't know that was you! ;) Seems like many people didn't like the Old Indy bookends, when the episodes were aired, since only a little more than half of the episodes have some. Now almost everyone wants them released. I guess people should never have complained after all (I never did!)

Stoo

Matinee Idyll said:
Palestine definitely didn't... pretty sure that's the same with Prague.

Scandal was a two-parter here in Oz :)
Thanks, Matinee Idyll. I just found out about the others, also.
Transylvania does indeed have some but Prague does not which
brings the total to 24 segments (with ?Scandal? counting as 2).
Mystery solved!