Packaging Young Indy films with Spielberg Indy films

WeAreGoingToDie

Lets say that the Spielberg directed Indiana Jones DVDs just released had a Young Indy film attached as a bonus feature for each DVD. What Young Indy film would you choose to connect with the theatrical films and hence entice non-YIJ viewers to watch the series?

My list:
-Still deciding on Raiders of the Lost Ark...
-Temple of Doom - Journey of Radiance
-The Last Crusade - Travels With Father OR Winds of Change (tough choice!)

Stoo

Raiders + Peacock's Eye
Doom + Masks of Evil
Crusade + Curse of the Jackal

Considering "Peacock's Eye" was packaged with the VHS trilogy, it deserves to be there somewhere.:)

WeAreGoingToDie

Stoo said:
Doom + Masks of Evil

Nice pairing! Now that I think of it, Journey of Radiance may be too slow for new viewers. Sure it describes Shiva and is in India, but too much talking, walking and coughing (second story).

WeAreGoingToDie

Adamwankenobi said:
"Peacock's Eye" could go with Temple of Doom, since it explains the backstory of the TOD diamond.

Nice! I've always loved that connection. Gives the intro to ToD much more impact. I think Mystery of the Blues would pair well with Crystal Skull. Gives a glimpse of Older Indy and shows Young Indy at about the age of Mutt being a college kid.

Flannery10

WeAreGoingToDie said:
Nice! I've always loved that connection. Gives the intro to ToD much more impact. I think Mystery of the Blues would pair well with Crystal Skull. Gives a glimpse of Older Indy and shows Young Indy at about the age of Mutt being a college kid.

Yep, I think MotB and KotCS could go well together.

I'd pair Curse of the Jackal with Raiders, Peacock's Eye with Temple of Doom and the original Travels with Father with Last Crusade.

Young Indy

Possible "Winds of Change" with TLC? Just watched it last night and love the Indy not getting along with his father parts. Gives TLC so much more depth to their relationship. Only three more chapters of YIJ for me to watch:( If only there was volume 4!

Flannery10

Young Indy said:
Possible "Winds of Change" with TLC? Just watched it last night and love the Indy not getting along with his father parts. Gives TLC so much more depth to their relationship. Only three more chapters of YIJ for me to watch:( If only there was volume 4!

That's why I said the original "Travels with Father". The 2nd part of "Winds of Change" are the extended bookends of that episode, which is why I'd pair it with LC.

Crack that whip

On a semi-related note, I saw today that Best Buy is promoting all the Indy DVDs together. They have one of the standee/bins I've seen at other stores for the new releases of the movies, but they've got it filled with both the movie DVDs (the individual releases and the trilogy box) and the three Young Indy volumes, and they have a card attached to the top of the standee (covering the art of Indy, but whatever :rolleyes: ) with the current (sale) prices for all these releases.

It shouldn't be a big deal, but after so frequently seeing the show and the movies treated almost as discrete, unrelated properties, it's somewhat gratifying to see.

tupogirl

Crack that whip said:
On a semi-related note, I saw today that Best Buy is promoting all the Indy DVDs together. They have one of the standee/bins I've seen at other stores for the new releases of the movies, but they've got it filled with both the movie DVDs (the individual releases and the trilogy box) and the three Young Indy volumes, and they have a card attached to the top of the standee (covering the art of Indy, but whatever :rolleyes: ) with the current (sale) prices for all these releases.

It shouldn't be a big deal, but after so frequently seeing the show and the movies treated almost as discrete, unrelated properties, it's somewhat gratifying to see.

When I went to exchange Vol 3 at BB (a disc had gotten loose and was already very scratched), the guy told me I could just grab another one and pointed to the stand. I went for where they were the day I had bought them and he said 'no, no it's *right* there!' I was so surprised! But yes, it is *very* gratifying to have them together. Also the BB guys were all super nice about the exchange.