Pan's Labyrinth

Katarn07

http://www.amazon.com/Pans-Labyrint...6-2586349?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1179339795&sr=8-1

Anyone else see this or at least hear of it? I read the review on IGN back in December and have been dying to see it. I've always wanted darker fairy tales as they were originally told, and this looked like it'd be right up my alley. Unfortunately, while still a fantastic movie, it didn't quite deliver what I was looking for.

There are a few problems that must be addressed before you see it. The first, it's in Spanish. I knew that going in, but it can turn a lot of people off. Second, there was hardly enough fantastical elements to the movie. They were there, but most of the story is based in the real world. The only reason I really wanted to see it was for a dark fairy tale. My last problem with it was one I didn't see coming. It's rated R, and I knew that. I won't say I have no problem watching bloody stuff in movies, but I can usually tolerate it. This? No way. I had to close my eyes during one part it was just to painful to watch. I suppose if you watched the Passion of the Christ without flinching, you should have no trouble here. I, however, felt the director could have simply pointed the camera elsewhere.

I give it an 8/10, but don't expect a memorable fairy tale or anything.

"if you watched the Passion of the Christ without flinching"
What if you laughed all the way through that horrible POS movie??

I can't wait to get my hands on a copy of Pan's Labyrinth...

deckard24

I've been waiting to see this movie for a while now, and I'm bummed I missed it in the theaters. As gory as Passion of the Christ huh? I heard it was dark, but not necessarily super bloody. Not to go off on a Passion rant, but I thought Mel took it a bit too far. Speaking of old Gibson, anybody see Apocalypto?

Eric Solo

Pan's Labyrinth is a great movie, but NOT for kids. It's rated R for a reason. Very graphic violence and scary bits.

Eric Solo

deckard24 said:
I've been waiting to see this movie for a while now, and I'm bummed I missed it in the theaters. As gory as Passion of the Christ huh? I heard it was dark, but not necessarily super bloody. Not to go off on a Passion rant, but I thought Mel took it a bit too far. Speaking of old Gibson, anybody see Apocalypto?
I liked it, but it is gory. (Not nearly as gory as POTC)

deckard24

I'll definitely be checking it out this week, thanks for the insight Solo!

By the way I've also got to second Hammond, what version of POTC did you see? Hostel was a gory movie, but I don't know if I'd go so far as to say the same for POTC.

Katarn07

Eric Solo said:
Passion of the christ not gory? somone getting their skin ripped off isnt gory?

PotC is Pirates of the Caribbean, not Passion of the Christ ;) I think ClintonHammond's having fun at the expense of the Passion. If he is referring to the Passion not having blood, then he's out of his mind. Pan's Labyrinth is no where near as intense or graphic, but it is quite shocking to see the things they do in it.

Here's a list of the violent parts I cringed at
Bashing that guy's face in with the bottle, the torture scene (which thank God they cut away from once he hits the guy's face with that hammer; I closed my eyes at that moment), and the Chelsea Smile Mercedes gives to the Captain

deckard24

Eric Solo, I've always seen POTC as an acronym for Pirates of the Caribbean not Passion of the Christ. Yeah, Passion is super bloody and waaayyy over the top. It's kinda funny that POTC could stand for either, I never saw that before! My bad, I'm so used to seeing POTC represent Pirates that I didn't even connect the dots with the Passion reference in Katarn's original thread.

Eric Solo

Katarn07 said:
PotC is Pirates of the Caribbean, not Passion of the Christ ;) I think ClintonHammond's having fun at the expense of the Passion. If he is referring to the Passion not having blood, then he's out of his mind. Pan's Labyrinth is no where near as intense or graphic, but it is quite shocking to see the things they do in it.

Here's a list of the violent parts I cringed at
Bashing that guy's face in with the bottle, the torture scene (which thank God they cut away from once he hits the guy's face with that hammer; I closed my eyes at that moment), and the Chelsea Smile Mercedes gives to the Captain
Ya,
The bottle thing caught me off guard. I didn't know it was rated R when we went to see it. I thought it was a kid's movie, so you can imagine my surprise.
(No I didn't have kids with me)

berelain19

I think Pan's Labyrinth was a beautiful movie! And the gory part;well,that happens almost everywhere,sad to say,but finally someone isn't worried about the tiny and fragile little american-hearts.He just f?!*king showed the truth!

And it's nowhere near as gory as Passion Of the Christ,which I thought was a very good movie,too! People believe in the bible?Believe this too!

Pan's Labyrinth is the best movie I've seen in months! And the music is enchanting!

deckard24

I just watched it last night, and I was really impressed by it. It definitely packs a punch, and I was completely caught off guard at certain scenes even though I knew it would be graphic at times. The bottle scene is up there with American History X's "Put your teeth on the curb!" scene, in terms of sucker punching the audience! I haven't been shocked by a movie in a while, and this one both repulsed and amazed me. If Peter Jackson doesn't make The Hobbit, I vote Guillermo Del Toro take the reins. I had seen Hellboy and Blade II and I knew he had an interesting vision and style, but to see him tackle something so emotional and heartfelt was way more impressive. The guy deserves all the accolades he's been getting. Great film! I can't wait to see what he makes next!

deckard24

Hammond who do you think should direct The Hobbit then? I've seen a lot of names circulating recently like Sam Raimi, Peter Weir, Terry Gilliam, and Ridley Scott. If Jackson doesn't direct, they at least have to have Ian Mckellan, Hugo Weaving, and WETA involved to keep the visual continuity going.

Baron, I'm interested as to why you didn't like it?