Peacock's Eye = ToD diamond?

fortuneandglory

Guys... Anyone notice the resemblance of the diamond in the first part of Temple of Doom, to the Treasure of the Peacocks eye?? :) Thats what I think at least... I have nothing to support it... but it sure bears a great resemblance...

fortuneandglory

The Temple of the Peacock's eye

Hey, this post got NO replies when it was first out. I believe that the treasure that Indy was trading for with Lao Che was the Peacocks eye. He was passionate about getting it, would trade with a criminal for it (although he may have done that before, we see in LC he just steals it when he cares about it), and he never found the Peacocks eye in YIJC. Thoughts? Anybody else make the connection?

Junior Jones

Yeah, others have suggested the link, and we've discussed it before. There's not really much to say about it.

(By the way, I personally like the idea that they are the same.)

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Interesting observation. I never really thought of that before. But, I wouldn't think so because ToD was made way before and if it was, it wouldn't serve the end of the Peacock's Eye episode any justice.

Kill Cavalry

Lucas is known for retconning, though. He and Spielberg may very well have created the Peacock's Eye episode as a nod to that first scene in ToD.

I always thought of the Peacock's Eye as something that didn't exist. If that's what they want it to be so be it, but I'd rather the Eye not exist.

Kill Cavalry

From a strictly story telling point of view, Edward is right. The Peacock's eye is supposed to be something unobtainable, something even Indy couldn't catch.

Adamwankenobi

The Peacock's eye is supposed to be something unobtainable, something even Indy couldn't catch.

But who's to say Remy couldn't have caught it and accidentally let it fall into the hands of Lao Che? :p

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
But at that point how old and how broke would Remy be??? What about the wife and kids???

fortuneandglory

Awww... Remy never found it. Indy tracked it down later and obviously Lao Che got it first, and wanted a trade... So, Indy found Nerhatchi... or however you spell it.

CKwriter

I've liked this idea since I first read about it but have yet to see Peacock's Eye (roll on those DVDs). With regard to the diamond being "something unobtainable" it does still end up lost after Jones and Willie go out the window.

BrodyIsDead

Peacock's Eye = TOD diamond?

Does anyone else think that the Young Indy episode with the Peacock's Eye (an ancient precious diamond lost in the Far East) could be the diamond that Lao Che swaps for Nurhachi in Temple of Doom?

Just a thought - dunno if it's ever officially been linked though in literature etc...

--------------------------

May more mysteries like this but of a different nature can be found at:

www.findthemissingreel.com

Junior Jones

Yeah, that's been talked about here before. I like to think they're the same, but there's nothing definitive to say they are.

HovitosKing

Well it would have to be a pretty important (i.e., meaningful) diamond for Indy to trade Nurhachi for it, I can't see Indy simply "cashing in" on an amazing archaeological discovery for just any old piece of ice, no matter how valuable. I like to think there's a story behind the diamond, even if it's not the Peacock's Eye. To answer your question, though, no I don't think it's the same diamond.

Bullwhip

I think a wiki article references the Peacock's Eye = TOD diamond thing. Have no idea what their source is since I've never read Indiana Jones novels/EU.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
I'd say it's mere conjecture, though not without basis. I'm not sure I like the way it takes away some of Indy's darker side as exhibited in the beginning of Temple of Doom, though.