Phobias

Canyon

Is there anyone else here who has a phobia?

For me its spiders and as far back as I can remember I have always had a phobia of these eight-legged creatures. :(

How about you?

Indy Canuck

Thanks to a traumatic experience as a kid, I have shaking fear of bees and wasps. I've slowly gotten better at it, but I still rue the day I have to encounter a swarm.

It kinda helped, I guess, that a friend of mine is a beekeeper.

Canyon

I have been stung three times on three separate occasions but don't really have a phobia of them as such.

Indy Canuck

My parents told me I used to pet bumblebees. I think the entire thing was sort of a feeling of betrayal.

But I guess that's what you get.

I

Indy_Jones88

"Snakes, why'd it have to be snakes"

"I hate snakes Joch, I hate em."

I have a phobia of snakes. I know, I know, You all think im just sayin that but I really hate the big ones. I can handle garter snakes, but not much else. I also dont like spiders, they are freakin freaky.

the hammer42

This might sound cocky but I cant say I'm afraid of anything.
I dont see a reason for it.
If you are carefull you dont have to be afraid.
For example.
You know snakes can be dangerous. So handle them with care.
If you see everything as a new, interesting and exiting experience there is no reason to be afraid.

the hammer42

I forgot to say that when I was on a two week jungle trip in Vietnam I got a snake bite.
We were in the jungle for ten days and I lost my focus and didnt see the snake at my feet.
They had to carry me out of the jungle.
It was a close call, but I'm still not afraid of snakes.
I just learned from it.

Onya

I used not to not like having people touch me, couldn't even bear hugging them or shaking their hand--which can be the weirdest thing when you're with a guy.

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
Large bodies of Water; oceans, lakes, and really large swimming pools.
Almost drowned as a kid, and later when I tried facing my fear by swimming in the ocean, I got caught in a rip tide and was swept down beach about two miles...that ruined it for me.

<small>I'm sure half of the Raven wishes I had drowned</small>:rolleyes:

Indyz Azn Gurl

Aaron H said:
Large bodies of Water; oceans, lakes, and really large swimming pools.
Almost drowned as a kid, and later when I tried facing my fear by swimming in the ocean, I got caught in a rip tide and was swept down beach about two miles...that ruined it for me.

<small>I'm sure half of the Raven wishes I had drowned</small>:rolleyes:

Ooh yes!!
I have numerous drowning experiences trying to learn how to swim. -_-

Webley

Horses, man do I hate horses. I hate horses so much that it makes me happy to know that some horses get made in to dog food.

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
Yes, horses...I'm afraid of them too. Yet another tragic story.
In short, I was almost killed by one. Escaped with a busted scalp and a severe concusion.

My personal hell would be having to ride horses along the sea shore with 30ft waves crashing in around me.

whipem

I have acrophobia (fear of heights), but that doesn't stop me from going on roller-coasters and airplanes. I also have a minor phobia of spiders. My traumatizing experience with acrophobia was on a ferris wheel when I was about ten. It was VERY tall, and with my luck, I was stuck on the top.

IAdventurer01

I have...

HOMEWORKPHOBIA

Seriously though, I have a fear of large insects. Small ones are okay, but the big ones creep me a lot.

Luckylighter

Spiders are the only things that really do me in, so to speak. I just hate the whole idea of them. For awhile it was sharks, and for all intents and purposes, I still have a fear of sharks, but not like I used to. Now it is more of a reverential respect bordering on fear, but since the "Summer of the Shark" three years ago, I've actually learned to dig them in a weird way. There were a lot of magazine articles that summer explaining sharks and their behavior, and I can honestly say I'm not as afraid of them as I used to be. They're actually pretty cool.

OK, here comes my big opening up to the Indy community moment--takes a deep breath--that summer, I went to St. Thomas for a family reunion. The plane flight home was bad--REAL bad, lots of turbulance. I don't mind take offs, I don't mind landings, it's the whole staying up there part that bothers me.

Well, like I said, there was a lot of turbulance. So much so, that I was extremely tense the whole flight.

That was stupid on my part, because when I got home, I ended up with an anxiety disorder. I was so tense for so long, that I disrupted my Serotonin levels in my brain. Serotonin is the chemical that keeps you stable and happy. When it doesn't flow freely, you get paranoid and anxious. I spent my days after that flight--whole days--having one long anxiety attack.

I would take walks in the area parks to get over it, to keep my mind distracted. Walks turned into jogs. I started taking Paxil to get the Serotonin levels back to normal, and I jogged to stay active and to clear my head of paranoid thoughts.

They say that sharks have to keep moving to stay alive--if they stop moving they die. So I adopted the shark as my "spiritual mascot", if you will. I felt that I had to keep moving to stay alive, to get better. And I did. I fought my way back to the state of well being I was in before everything got weird for me. And I haven't had an anxiety attack since.

I guess the point is that sometimes phobias can be overcome, if you look at them from a different point of view.

Last edited: