Pirates of the Carribean: Dead Man's Chest

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Saw this last night with some friends. Overall, it was ok, but I was expecting better being honest. There was too much going on at once, but great gags and action sequences and yes, the unforgettable Capt Jack made it worthwhile. What about the rest of you?

Gotro

I liked the first one so I will brobably go see this one when it comes to our little hick theater :)

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Well, to be honest the ending peeved me big time. Same feeling one would have got from watching Empire Strikes Back and having to wait years to find out what happens next.

Abe Vayoda

The ending was the best part, it just couldn't come soon enough. The charm of the first movie was that Depp's part wasn't written like that, and he brought the swish to the table by himself. This time around it felt as though they were trying to write it to be funny and clever, and Sparrow lost his charm. Knightley was cute as hell though. Too heavy with the special effects and over-the-top silliness.
On par with the original though. Felt the same towards this as I did the first.

Indy Parise

Haven't seen it yet but in Disney World, they changed the ride to have Jack Sparrow in it and kind of turned me off to the ride. It's a classic ride that shouldn't be messed with. Whatever, I'l still propably see the movie.

Abe Vayoda

Walt never built the park as a museum. That's one of the things he disliked about his movies, that he could never go back later and change them (insert your own lucas joke). The parks were meant as an ever growing ever changing world.

I don't mind Jack Sparrow being in the ride so much, in fact, I'd like to see a fully animatronic Elizabeth Swann.

IndyBuff

I'll probably get around to seeing the film eventually. I talked to a couple of co-workers last evening and they both walked out on the film after two hours and said it was really bad. I always prefer to see these things for myself and make my own judgement so I'll still go in with an open mind. I enjoyed the first one so hopefully this one will be good too.

All I know is that, while this film may have broken big records this weekend, Indy IV better surpass it.;)

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
VP said:
It's Caribbean. What's so hard in spelling C-A-R-I-B-B-E-A-N? Everybody misspells it all the time.

My sincere apologies, VP. I didn't realise you're the English Spelling Champion of Finland. :p

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
Abe Vayoda said:
I'd like to see a fully animatronic Elizabeth Swann.
I second that!:D

I loved the movie: 4.75 stars out of 5. Some minor flaws...like a bit long at parts...the ending was to be expected, afterall this is the "Empire Strikes Back" of the trilogy. If the third is even half as good as this one was I'll be a happy man.

BTW, not only was the ride at WDW changed, but the original at Disneyland was too...I'm more than happy with the changes and can't wait to see them in two weeks.:cool:

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
And I look forward to going on the Pirates ride at Disneyland in September. I won't really know the difference though.:p

Gustav

Spoilers

I saw it today and I liked it a lot. The first half seemed a bit childish and somehow it just felt like they were showing off, like they were just thinking "okay, what silly thing can we make Captain Jack do next?", but the second half flowed nicely and it finished strong and left of lot for the next film to tell. I loved the sword fight at the end and how each of the men had different motives for wanting the heart. I wonder what was on those letters that were surrounding the chest when they uncovered it and if they'll have any significance.

IndyBuff said:
I'll probably get around to seeing the film eventually. I talked to a couple of co-workers last evening and they both walked out on the film after two hours and said it was really bad. I always prefer to see these things for myself and make my own judgement so I'll still go in with an open mind. I enjoyed the first one so hopefully this one will be good too.

All I know is that, while this film may have broken big records this weekend, Indy IV better surpass it.;)

More than likely these two were putting down the film from the start and were influenced by each other's building dislike for the movie. People are more likely to say they don't like something if their present company is of the same opinion. I think it would be extremely rare that there would be two people in the same theater who are of such similar personalities that they would both feel compelled to walk out on this film all on their own, even if those personalities are compatible enough to be friends.

Go see it, I doubt you will be disappointed. Just don't forget to bring your 'suspension of disbelief'.

Deadlock

I loved the first Pirates...

...but I was disappointed with Pirates 2. The first movie was a bit rambling, the sequel was worse. The character development was pretty much non-existent. Any chemistry between Orlando Bloom and Keira Knightly was MIA. Finally, and probably most unforgivable, Orlando and Johnny Depp’s “rollicking hijinks” that made the first movie work were also nowhere to be found.

But Lord knows, they spent a pile of cash on overlong, overwrought action sequences. I’m not saying the first movie would ever be mistaken for realistic, but Pirates 2 drifted into Looney Tunes territory. (It's as if Gore Verbinski was listening to subliminal messages from Peter Jackson... "Make it bigger... Make it longer..." :) )

However, there were definitely some great moments: Jack Sparrow's entrance was priceless, just like the first movie. :) But compared to his breezy off-the-wall performance that sold the first picture, Johnny Depp’s quirkiness seemed to be straining to carry the weight the sequel.

Last edited:

roundshort

I haven't seen it yet, but I can't wait, and WOW it seems to be doing well at the Box office!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I almost dragged the gf to see it in Hawaii, but she was not about to spend any part of her time there in a theater, can't say I blame her!

"Can you elaborate a little..."
Is there any point? You're just looking for something to dissagree with anyway.... so why bother?

I very much enjoyed PitC2.... I didn't find any of the flaws people have listed thus far to be issues in the least...

I can't WAIT for #3... The trilogy could stand to be the best "Action 3fer" ever

EvilDevo

did anybody notice the temple of doom reference (which also references raiders) in pirates of the caribbean: dead man's chest?

it seems there are lots of subtle hints at indy in both of these movies
(i think theres another thread which states this somewhere...)