Poll on John Hurt's Role!

What character would you like to see John Hurt to play?

• Abner Ravenwood

Votes: 37 46.8%
  • Ox

Votes: 24 30.4%
  • I dont really care which

Votes: 18 22.8%

• Total voters

Dr. Gonzo

I know we have gotten information from kids books that Hurt will play Ox, yet I also know alot of you out there like the idea of him playing one Abner Ravenwood. Just out of curiosity, which do you guys prefer?

MarxBrosFan

I don't like it when dead characters are brought back to life so I voted for Ox. However, I've always wanted to learn more about Abner and Indy's falling out. We know the basics but it could be expanded on. So if Abner comes back I won't be completely upset.

oki9Sedo

I think everyone jumped the gun on the whole Abner Ravenwood thing. There's even less evidence for that than there is for Mutt being Indy's son.

That said, maybe he IS Abner Ravenwood. I just don't see any reason why he has to be though.

I don't like the way Lucas is adjusting celluloid facts. Having Hurt as Abner would be a cheap shot. Abner is dead! He's already made a mockery of Indy being an old man in YIJC.He seems to not be able to leave his previous works and ideas alone. Surely they could have thought of a plot that would not require tinkering with what's gone before?

agentsands77

oki9Sedo said:
There's even less evidence for that than there is for Mutt being Indy's son.
Considerably less. There's a lot of good evidence for Mutt being Indy's son (including the fact that Mutt is just the right age to be Indy's, always a telling sign), but there isn't a whole lot of solid evidence for Hurt being Abner.

Last edited:

Dr. Gonzo

Yes I know there is not much proof that he will play Abner in the film, but my question was would you prefer it if he did? I wanted to know who thinks what.
what do you think of the idea agentsands77 and everyone else?

agentsands77

Dr. Gonzo said:
Yes I know there is not much proof that he will play Abner in the film, but my question was would you prefer it if he did? I wanted to know who thinks what.
No, I wouldn't like him to play Abner. Abner should stay dead... I don't want there to be some convoluted "Oh, he was actually alive" storyline. But I'm not too worried... I don't really believe that he is playing Abner.

Dr. Gonzo

Nice name by the way agentsands77, nice name. I love how he wears a C.I.A. shirt to the bullfight. Priceless

barranca

I went for 'I don't care..' Personally I think a 'new' character would be good. One we haven't heard of (or have but overlooked). I've never felt John was 'right' for Abner.
I would have cast someone like Judd Hirsch.....
IndependenceDAy5.jpeg

I think looks wise, it makes much more sense. You can sort of see a family resemblance going down through Marion to Mutt.
Ah Well!
I've nothing against John Hurt he's a fine actor, I can only think they went for someone who looks like they've spent ages just about surviving in that jungle.

sandiegojones

barranca said:
I went for 'I don't care..' Personally I think a 'new' character would be good. One we haven't heard of (or have but overlooked). I've never felt John was 'right' for Abner.
I would have cast someone like Judd Hirsch.....
IndependenceDAy5.jpeg

I think looks wise, it makes much more sense. You can sort of see a family resemblance going down through Marion to Mutt.
Ah Well!
I've nothing against John Hurt he's a fine actor, I can only think they went for someone who looks like they've spent ages just about surviving in that jungle.

Wow. Judd Hirsch!?!?!?!

He was so annoying in ID4 that he makes Jackie Mason look like a mute! I don't think we need a stereotypical Jew role for Abner.

I think Hurt is someone besides Ravenwood. Plus it'd be too many "family" members in the film if Mutt is Indy's son too.

Plus Marion stated Abner was dead and she had no reason to lie, especially since she had the head piece (it's not something you'd just give away) to the staff of Ra, which she would only have if he was dead.

AHegele

Remember rumors that Spielberg wanted Clint Eastwood to be in Indiana Jones 4? I think if Hurt actually is Ravenwood, Spielberg might have originally offered the part to Clint.

Flannery10

I always hoped we'd find out more about Abner, so I really hope Hurt will play that role, but I rather doubt it. I've read all the spoilers available right now, and after what I've read I'm pretty sure he'll play Ox.

I just hate the names of the characters in nthis film. That's about my biggest gripe so far.

Mutt, Mac, Ox...what the hell is this?? Disney on ice???