Probably an old question, but in Temple of Doom...

AnImaginaryBoy

Hello everybody! This is my first ever post here, so I'm sorry for being a rubbish newbie who knows nothing, but I recently got the big omibus edition of all three novelisations of the Indy films, and there's a bit in Temple of Doom where after Indy is forced to drink the blood, he goes to Willie who has managed to find her way back to her room, and has told Captain Blumbartt and Chattar Lal about the Thugee sacrfice her, Indy and Short Round have just witnessed, but Indy manages to convinces the prime minister and the captain that she was just having a nightmare, then there's a really spooky scene where Indy's eyes go all firey, and Willie realises that he's been taken over. Now, I'm from England, so I only have the edited version of the film, but does this appear in the American version? As I do remember ages ago finding a script for the film where it appears, and if you watch the scene where Short Round and Willie get caught by the Thugees, she actually manages to escape, and we don't see her again until it's her turn to be sacrificed, so if this sequence isn't in the American version, as it actually filmed? As it does seem to fit in with the events of the film, as Willie doesn't seem all that surprised when she sees Indy with Mola Ram, so was it shot and Steven just felt it was too scary to be in the film?

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I'd love to know what was going on! And sorry about my horrendous spelling, but I am a stupid newbie, so I will get better.

DrHapgood

From what I remember, the deleted bit of Willie escaping back to her room ends with her running into Chattar Lal and that is when we find out about Chattar Lal.

The scene you've just described makes me want to read the ToD novelization even more... I'd already fallen in love with just the concept when a good friend told me that Willie is rather quiet in it as compared to her film version alter-ego.

Dust McAlan

AnImaginaryBoy said:
Hello everybody! This is my first ever post here, so I'm sorry for being a rubbish newbie who knows nothing, but I recently got the big omibus edition of all three novelisations of the Indy films, and there's a bit in Temple of Doom where after Indy is forced to drink the blood, he goes to Willie who has managed to find her way back to her room, and has told Captain Blumbartt and Chattar Lal about the Thugee sacrfice her, Indy and Short Round have just witnessed, but Indy manages to convinces the prime minister and the captain that she was just having a nightmare, then there's a really spooky scene where Indy's eyes go all firey, and Willie realises that he's been taken over. Now, I'm from England, so I only have the edited version of the film, but does this appear in the American version? As I do remember ages ago finding a script for the film where it appears, and if you watch the scene where Short Round and Willie get caught by the Thugees, she actually manages to escape, and we don't see her again until it's her turn to be sacrificed, so if this sequence isn't in the American version, as it actually filmed? As it does seem to fit in with the events of the film, as Willie doesn't seem all that surprised when she sees Indy with Mola Ram, so was it shot and Steven just felt it was too scary to be in the film?

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I'd love to know what was going on! And sorry about my horrendous spelling, but I am a stupid newbie, so I will get better.
I've heard rumblings of this scene, but I've never actually seen it in ToD. This scene would help make sense as to why the English suddenly appear after the rope bridge sequence.

Michael24

I know of some stuff scripted, shot, but cut out of the final film (such as the slave children's escape over the lava pit via a makeshift bridge Indy rigs together, which is also in the novelization), but I don't know if they ever filmed the scene of Willie actually finding the Captain and alerting him as to what's going on.

This is why I hope they finally include deleted scenes on a future DVD release.

Ignatius Stone

Yes indeed, some scenes are known to have been filmed but were deleted and never made it into a release print, some are merely rumoured to have been filmed.
I really hope all the excised scenes still exist in a vault at Paramount or Lucasfilm somewhere and that one day they're cleaned up and presented in a deleted scenes section on a future release.
Like this one Dr. Hapgood mentioned, which appeared in the comic adaptation:

http://www.theraider.net/films/todoom/gallery/deleted/tod_deleted_03.jpg

Kooshmeister

I'm thinking it was filmed, because as mentioned Willie clearly slips away when she and Short Round get jumped by the guards. And if they didn't film it, then they planned to at least.

DetectiveFork

Dust McAlan said:
I've heard rumblings of this scene, but I've never actually seen it in ToD. This scene would help make sense as to why the English suddenly appear after the rope bridge sequence.

I think this is explained in the film when you see the Maharajah running ahead of the English troops, leading them to the bridge.

jonesissparrow

Ignatius Stone said:
Yes indeed, some scenes are known to have been filmed but were deleted and never made it into a release print, some are merely rumoured to have been filmed.
I really hope all the excised scenes still exist in a vault at Paramount or Lucasfilm somewhere and that one day they're cleaned up and presented in a deleted scenes section on a future release.
Like this one Dr. Hapgood mentioned, which appeared in the comic adaptation:

http://www.theraider.net/films/todoom/gallery/deleted/tod_deleted_03.jpg

I'm sorry but Lucasfilms are notorious for not showing deleted scenes I mean they already produced two versions of the original Star Wars trilogy on DVD and and not one of them have the deleted scenes from the trilogy and I think the same will be for Indy as well, sadly.

Dust McAlan

DetectiveFork said:
I think this is explained in the film when you see the Maharajah running ahead of the English troops, leading them to the bridge.
Is he really? I never noticed that. I was thinking of re-watching Temple again tonight, but that solidifies it for me. Thanks!

AnImaginaryBoy

Thanks for clearing that up everybody! Crikey, if Steven had shot the stuff with Indy turning bad when he talks to Willie in her bedroom it would have made for one of the most traumisting moments of my childhood ever...

DrHapgood

The one thing I hated about the original draft is the idea that all of Kali's worshippers, including Mola Ram were possessed. I like to think the blood of Kali was just a tool the True Believers used to convert those who resist.

I mean to me, Mola Ram as a High Priest of the Thuggee was truly "gifted" by Kali... kind of like the Pope of the Thuggee's...

Otherwise his supernatural abilities make no sense to me because if everyone who's possessed gains them then why didn't Indy remove Willie's heart...

And don't give me that "because she has no heart" crack. :p