Raiders DVD digital fixes?

Harry

I read that the company hired to restore the original print of Raiders that was then digitized to master the DVD version did some 14 fixes to the movie, including removing the cobra's reflection in the glass pane between Harrison Ford and the snake. Does anyone know what were the other thirteen digital fixes made? I doubt the movie was sanitized, but I am curious as to what fixes were made. Some of the matte paintings are quite atrocious and these were left alone.

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
It was Lucas' Company, Industrial Light and Magic (ILM).
There is no diffinative list of improvements to the movie(s). This would be a nice place to start, however.
Here is one:
1. The reflection of the snake in the Well of the Souls is gone, thus adding to the tension.

spohlso

I'm not positive, but I beleive I read somewhere that there was some tidying up of the matte lines when the Jeep went over the cliff in the truck chase scene.

Lightning

The axle that kept the boulder in check at the beginning is now gone. Now I can watch that scene without fixating on the axle.

MP3

321Studio's November newsletter featured a review of the Indy DVDs. The reviewer claims that in LC, where the plane crashes through the tunnel after the Jones boys' car, there are new/improved sound effects. Can anyone confirm this? I never saw the original version of the film...

If someone can confirm this, we can add it to the list.

EvilNazi

im not sure, but when i saw the scene where the ark is opened, it seemed to me that there were a few things i didnt notice before. it seemed even longer than usual. maybe its my imagination.

Pale Horse

Staff member
This may not be the right thread, But I too have a repeated scene of the Arabs diggin' at the Well of the Souls....

IndyBlues

This is my first post here, I'm usually over at COW.
I wonder why they fixed the reflection of the cobra when Indy was in front of it, but not fix the part when mArion is facing it.??? What gives?

MP3

IndyBlues said:
This is my first post here, I'm usually over at COW.
I wonder why they fixed the reflection of the cobra when Indy was in front of it, but not fix the part when mArion is facing it.??? What gives?

Welcome to the Raven, Where Paths Cross ( (C)2003 00Kevin)

As for what gives, errrrmmmm... beats me - I also discovered a stunt wire in ToD that they should have edited, but didn't.

Hey, you can't win 'em all. :D

MP3

Here's something they DIDN'T fix...

On the Bantu Wind, when Marion spins the mirror and it hits Indy, take a GOOD look (slow-motion helps) at the next part, where we see a long shot of the ship's exterior and hear Indy yell. If you do, you'll see specks of dirt on the picture (there is one really prominent near the top of the screen, more or less centered horizontally), as if the scene was shot with a dirty lens or (most likely) through the somewhat-dirty window of another ship.