Raider's Fedora?

IndyJames98

hi i am new to this board. i have been a huge indy fan since i was ten... i am fourteen now and am looking for a raiders style fedora that isnt going to make me go broke. i already have my whip, gun, jacket and pants. i just need my fedora, shirt and bag.. please help.

HenryJunior

I haven't personally received anything from Todd's Costumes, but most people seem very pleased with the items for sale there:

http://www.toddscostumes.com/

Maybe not the highest quality, but they sell items that look screen accurate and are within a decent budget.

Welcome to the Raven IndyJames98 :whip:

Mickiana

IndyJames98 said:
hi i am new to this board. i have been a huge indy fan since i was ten... i am fourteen now and am looking for a raiders style fedora that isnt going to make me go broke. i already have my whip, gun, jacket and pants. i just need my fedora, shirt and bag.. please help.

Hatsdirect.com for the hat (Akubra Fed), Wested for the shirt, What Price Glory also for the shirt and bag.

IndyJames98

isnt the akubra supposed to be very durable? because i plan to make a fan film with a bunch of friends, and need a hat that is very tough.

InexorableTash

Not to detract from the fine advice posted here, but for gear-centric questions you should really register over at indygear.con/cow and search the archives.

I can personally recommend Todd's ("Bantu Wind" budget jacket, "costume" whip), What Price Glory (vintage Mark VII bag, leather strap), Wade Egan (super whip holder) and Bernardo Del Carpio (Morgan-style roohide whip).

Mickiana

InexorableTash said:
Not to detract from the fine advice posted here, but for gear-centric questions you should really register over at indygear.con/cow and search the archives.

I second that. There's a lot of keen gear heads over at COW.

Goodeknight

Come on, people!! He's 14!! (and welcome to the boards, by the way, IndyJames.) The "98" in his name, I presume, is the year he was born! That's why he says...

IndyJames98 said:
looking for a raiders style fedora that isnt going to make me go broke.

Perhaps I'm mistaken, but I'm guessing you don't want to spend between $125-$190+ on an Akubra Federation fedora.

For a cheaper hat that will look very "Indy," I personally suggest a Dorfman Pacific Indiana Jones Wool Felt Hat. http://www.toddscostumes.com/costumes/movie-costumes-indiana-jones-costume/indiana-jones-hat/indiana-jones-hat-adult-wool-felt-fedora/

The "crushable" hat from DP is handy, but if you look closely, the edge of the brim is stitched and that detracts from the look a little bit.
http://www.toddscostumes.com/costumes/movie-costumes-indiana-jones-costume/indiana-jones-hat/crushable-indiana-jones-style-fedora/ I think this one looks a little like a cross between a fedora and a cowboy hat.

Higher end from Todd's, I suggest Coyle's Downtowner for $99 + shipping:
http://www.toddscostumes.com/costumes/movie-costumes-indiana-jones-costume/indiana-jones-hat/indiana-jones-hat-coyles-downtowner-fedora/

The DP hats will not be screen accurate, but only gear heads will know or tell you that. 99%+ people you run into will not notice. Same for the shirt and bag. Find a khaki shirt and you're good to go.

When you're a bit older you might want to invest some big bucks in an expensive hat. I barely recall being 14, but in a few years you're hat size will change anyway. Don't want to be stuck with a $150 hat that's too small.

Here's my standing suggestion for getting the right look: Dirty it up. If everything looks like it just came from the cleaners, it won't seem very "Indy." If you get cheaper gear, you won't mind roughing it up and smearing dirt on it.

IndyJames98

i did modify my old dorfman pacific last night that is too small and it turned out great :D :D i just need to get a new one that fits my head and do the same mod. and i found a bag that wasnt 100percent acuret on ebay for 14 bucks. i have my dads old jacket and i am using some old khakis. i have my whip. my only problem is the gun. i suppose i could make the holster out of an old leather bag.

Goodeknight

IndyJames98 said:
i did modify my old dorfman pacific last night that is too small and it turned out great :D :D i just need to get a new one that fits my head and do the same mod. and i found a bag that wasnt 100percent acuret on ebay for 14 bucks. i have my dads old jacket and i am using some old khakis. i have my whip. my only problem is the gun. i suppose i could make the holster out of an old leather bag.

Good for you!

If you check ebay for "Indiana Jones holster" you'll get plenty of options. Some are cheapies ($12.95 with free shipping). Others (like Todd's) look a lot better and will last longer, but cost quite a bit more. Sewing any kind of stiff leather takes special tools and can be difficult, so I'd either buy one or skip it all together and save the money. You'll still have the look without it.

IndyJames98 said:
i also dont understand why dp makes their official hats not bashed like the movies.

I know! I started a thread asking just that question here: http://raven.theraider.net/showthread.php?t=22365&highlight=screen+inaccurate

IndyJames98

goodeknight said:
Good for you!

If you check ebay for "Indiana Jones holster" you'll get plenty of options. Some are cheapies ($12.95 with free shipping). Others (like Todd's) look a lot better and will last longer, but cost quite a bit more. Sewing any kind of stiff leather takes special tools and can be difficult, so I'd either buy one or skip it all together and save the money. You'll still have the look without it.[/URL]

my only worry is the durability of the holster... i can repaint the gun. but its just the material for the holster is it durable or not?

Mickiana

goodeknight said:
Come on, people!! He's 14!!

Sorry, didn't click. Yeah, I have spent quite a bit on Indy gear, especially screen accurate stuff. That is the gear I am familiar with. Not so with cheaper versions. But if you are keen on screen accuracy, save up the dollars.:hat:

Mickiana

Fedora1989 said:
I say go with the Akubra Federation IV.

It's good value for your money. It looks the part and will last a long time. The Garrison hat also looks good. A few good choices there.

Fedora1989

If you plan on buying a hat made of wool, I suggest NOT to use steam, or heavy amounts of water. The hat will shrink and look more like traffic cone than it already is. If you must use water, apply the water with a spray bottle, but don't soak it. Try looking at the "For Sale" page on Club Obi Wan. You might find a better hat than a DP for a reasonable price. :)