Raiders vs. TOD vs. LC vs. KOTCS vs. YIJC

Which do you prefer?

• Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)

Votes: 9 47.4%
  • Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (1984)

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989)

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • The Adventures of Young Indiana Jones (1992-1996)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (2008)

Votes: 4 21.1%

• Total voters

Stoo

DiscoLad said:
I know who's voting for Young Indy.
... I bet a large sum of money I know who. :)

Starts with an "S".
@Disco, I hope you didn't bet any ca$h on me ("S"), because you WILL lo$e (as usual). I will NEVER, EVER submit a vote on this stupid poll (and even if I did, it would be for "Raiders").

Disco's total winnings = $0

DiscoLad

The Drifter said:
Superman voted for Young Indy?
Now, guess what I voted for.

Judging by your posts on the "Why does everyone hate ToD" thread
... and the fact that there is a vote for ToD..

ToD? :p

Stoo

DiscoLad said:
Ignore list = EPIC WIN (y)

Hats off to Violet.
This was a good idea.

That was brilliant. 0_o
DiscoLad WANTS me! My Raven PM box is full but he tried to PM me *3* times within the last hour! There's a FREAK after me, HELP!!!:eek:

Back on Topic: Which is better?
Raiders
Doom
Crusade
Chronicles
Skull

DiscoLad

What am I going to do with a dime...

Buy a gumball? :p

I voted for Raiders because it is the best in the series of course.
I think this goes for all franchises when I say that the most to least favorite goes like this:
First movie, Third, Second.

Raiders>Crusade>Temple of Doom(y)
Same goes with Back to the Future, Jurassic Park, Toy Story, and Fable (Which is a game, but still.)

Montana Smith

DiscoLad said:
I know who's voting for Young Indy.
... I bet a large sum of money I know who. :)

Starts with an "S".

And there was me thinking it was Sean Patrick Flanery coming here looking for work.

Stoo said:
I will NEVER, EVER submit a vote on this stupid poll

Yeah. Silly poll. (n)

DiscoLad

I faintly remember you posting this somewhere... but still.

Why do you enjoy ToD more, Drifter?
I'm merely curious. :)

The Drifter

DiscoLad said:
I faintly remember you posting this somewhere... but still.

Why do you enjoy ToD more, Drifter?
I'm merely curious. :)

Lots of reasons.

1. I like the locations better. We have Indy in China, and India. Not a ton of different locales, but the mood they set in the movie are great. The streets of Shanghai at dusk, the sweltering jungle, the massive palace, and the glowing pits of the temple. I love it. Which brings me to...

2. It feels more like a pulp story to me. What with all of the exotic locations, and swash-buckling. We have a villain who sacrifices his victims to an old deity. Mind control, a hapless damsel in distress, danger around every turn, and non-stop, over-the-top action.

3. It was the first Indy move that I ever saw, and I watched it with my dad who was a big Indy fan. I can remember it vividly, and it will always have a lasting impression on me.

This post reminds me that I have to get started on my essay for KongisKing. I must started on that tomorrow night for sure.
But, Disco, there are even more reasons why I love ToD over the others. I've wrote about some of them before.

DoomsdayFAN

I'll go with Raiders. It's wonderful. But I also love TOD & LC. I've never actually seen much of YIAJ, so I'll have to check that out.

Montana Smith

The Drifter said:
1. I like the locations better. We have Indy in China, and India. Not a ton of different locales, but the mood they set in the movie are great. The streets of Shanghai at dusk, the sweltering jungle, the massive palace, and the glowing pits of the temple. I love it.

I loved the locations in TOD, but not necessarily any more than in ROTLA. They all seem to be essential places for pulp action and adventure. TOD introduced me to 1930s Shanghai, and a lot of research into that wild and deadly city with its opium, violence, gangs, internationial quarters, White Russian emigres, Siberian dancing girls in seedy clubs. There was enough action going on in just that one city to fill several Indy movies (or a TV series, hint, hint!)

The Drifter said:
Which brings me to...2. It feels more like a pulp story to me. What with all of the exotic locations, and swash-buckling. We have a villain who sacrifices his victims to an old deity. Mind control, a hapless damsel in distress, danger around every turn, and non-stop, over-the-top action.

All this in in TOD's favour too.

I find it impossible to put the first three films in order of preference, because they're all part of the same story. KOTCS feels more separate, mainly because we're dropped into the 1950s, and Indy is no longer as free to act as before: he has too many responsibilities (which he more than willingly shirked in the 1930s), and as the story develops he gets funnelled down a route I didn't want to see him take.

Lumping the Young Indy series into a poll like this is going to be hard on it, since it's a totally different project with a different intent.

DiscoLad

The Drifter said:
3. It was the first Indy move that I ever saw, and I watched it with my dad who was a big Indy fan. I can remember it vividly, and it will always have a lasting impression on me.

That's the one I read around here somewhere.
I like Raiders cause it's got more grit than Crusade and ToD.