Rambo: First Blood

Michael24

Was kind of crowd did you see it with? A bunch of younglings who don't know what a good movie is? Probably the kind that Stallone mentioned in the pre-movie interview where he said something about a lot of younger people have probably never really seen such a movie as First Blood before where the character is real, right there in your face, mano a mano, without all the CGI and technology to get in the way. Ha!

Anyway, I was a little miffed that they didn't properly frame it to fill the whole screen, and the brightness was a little too dark. My brother laughed when he saw the Windows taskbar afterwards, but it wasn't surprising since Fathom does these screenings as a satellite feed and not with actual film, which is a little sad. But still, it was cool to see on the big screen.

There was about 12-15 people in our theater, and I think the only time anyone ever laughed was the scene where the National Guardsmen are refusing to go up to the cave. "No way, Clinton, I ain't goin' up there." LOL!

Agent Z

It's hilarious hearing about the Windows taskbar coming up at the end.. :p

You know though, one day, digital cinema will be the norm over the exception, and older films will be piped into theaters and displayed flawlessly on the cheap.

If you have a birthday party and want to see Raiders, it's possible that you could rent a theater for the 2 hours and they will have Raiders already available and ready to play.

So, keep your heads up, as the technology and delivery of these films will only improve over time. :whip:

MR Round said:
I saw First Blood yesterday and I still like the "normal" ending the best.

Yeah, I like that Rambo kills himself more too.

Damn them having to reshoot it and bastardize the novel. The original normal death ending was better. :(

Granted, the sequels are a helluva lot of fun and personal favorites... but they're a completely different character. They shouldn't exist, really. Rambo needed to die; it was the only solution and it made thematic sense.

Michael24

Stallone talked about that in the pre-movie interview. Although I don't remember his exact words, I believe he basically said, that because he had the changed the character to be sympathetic in the film (versus how he was in the novel), he didn't want to kill Rambo at the end and wanted to give him more of an emotional death than a physical death, and he was happy when the test screening reacted badly to it, allowing them to take it out.

He also talked about how he felt the second and third films didn't come across with as serious a story as he had wanted, that they were basically more like comic book action stories, though he didn't necessarily say he disliked them. Just that they were probably a little too different from what they should have been.

Funny part of the interview was when he was asked which character is more like him personally, Rocky or Rambo, since one is an optimist and the other a pessimist. He said when he wakes up in the morning he feels like Rocky, but by afternoon he feels more like Rambo. LOL!

The Drifter

Michael24 said:
Stallone talked about that in the pre-movie interview. Although I don't remember his exact words, I believe he basically said, that because he had the changed the character to be sympathetic in the film (versus how he was in the novel), he didn't want to kill Rambo at the end and wanted to give him more of an emotional death than a physical death, and he was happy when the test screening reacted badly to it, allowing them to take it out.

He also talked about how he felt the second and third films didn't come across with as serious a story as he had wanted, that they were basically more like comic book action stories, though he didn't necessarily say he disliked them. Just that they were probably a little too different from what they should have been.

Funny part of the interview was when he was asked which character is more like him personally, Rocky or Rambo, since one is an optimist and the other a pessimist. He said when he wakes up in the morning he feels like Rocky, but by afternoon he feels more like Rambo. LOL!

LOL!
Say what you will about Sly; the guy is a damn good writer, and he is funny to boot!

Nurhachi1991

Lonsome_Drifter said:
Laughing!?
At what? Troutman talking about puking billy-goats? Rambo giving that "King-S***" cop a war he can't believe? Or, about the group photo for Soldier of Fortune?

Seriously, what was so funny that made thos retards laugh?
And, go home, lock yourself in a room, and watch First Blood. That is how I enjoy my Rambo.

No they were laughing at Rambo talking about how a small boy with a shoe shine box blew himself up and killed his friends, there were laughing at the rats in the mine, they laughed every time Rambo shot a gun, ect....

The Drifter

Nurhachi1991 said:
No they were laughing at Rambo talking about how a small boy with a shoe shine box blew himself up and killed his friends, there were laughing at the rats in the mine, they laughed every time Rambo shot a gun, ect....

They sound highly annoying. I would have thrown popcorn at them.

BuiltFordTough

I went to see this....it was fun. I'm glad they showed it in its original format, it was like stepping back in time. I enjoyed the interview and alternate ending too.
:gun:

The Drifter

BuiltFordTough said:
I went to see this....it was fun. I'm glad they showed it in its original format, it was like stepping back in time. I enjoyed the interview and alternate ending too.

Sorry to be off-topic, but that is one great username!

Nurhachi1991

BuiltFordTough said:

Original format? Mine was shown on a computer or something I think it was a dvd

Michael24

I think he just meant them showing the film the way it's always been, without the original death ending reedited into the film and stuff like that.

And it was piped into theaters via satellite feed, I guess from Fathom's headquarters, wherever that is. I guess it would cost too much to ship film reels just to a certain number of theaters for a one-time deal.

No Ticket

I almost went to see it. But I couldn't find the time sadly. My friends, however, DID get to see it and they said it wasn't as cool as they expected.