Razzie Awards

Nerdpants

Indiana Jones 5 has been nominated for two Razzies.

i) Worst Worst Prequel, Remake, Rip-off or Sequel
ii) Worst Screenplay

Do you think this is justified? Bear in mind that the Razzies probably are not judging all movies released in the year, i.e. tentpole movies are more likely to be nominated then some low budget film nobody has ever heard about.

Also to throw into the mix, Indy 4 won the Worst Sequel award back in the day.

Should box office play a factor here? Indy 5 got nominated and had low numbers. Indy 4 got nominated and got high numbers.

Perhaps the only way Indy 5 would not have been nominated would be if was a smash like Top Gun 2

maybebutnottoday

Indiana Jones 5 has been nominated for two Razzies.

i) Worst Worst Prequel, Remake, Rip-off or Sequel
ii) Worst Screenplay

Do you think this is justified? Bear in mind that the Razzies probably are not judging all movies released in the year, i.e. tentpole movies are more likely to be nominated then some low budget film nobody has ever heard about.

Also to throw into the mix, Indy 4 won the Worst Sequel award back in the day.

Should box office play a factor here? Indy 5 got nominated and had low numbers. Indy 4 got nominated and got high numbers.

Perhaps the only way Indy 5 would not have been nominated would be if was a smash like Top Gun 2
for sure the nomination is unfair. it wasn't a bad movie but it wasn't very good either. the kingdom followed the crusade while dial the kingdom. the nomination was unfair. of course again many people argue like my friends and my father that not it reminded me of indy movie. closing my text i want to say something. there are no more people in hollywood to design a good indy movie. an example you may disagree with. the tuk tuk looks like the motorcycle crusade because of the vehicles. spielberg made a very good scene without exaggerations while the tuk tuk is full of excesses that don't match with indy. attention the tuk tuk scene I like it but on DVD I put the motorcycle again and not the tuk tuk

Dr.Jonesy

Can't wait to hear endlessly how this film was nominated for 2 Razzie Awards whenever I mention I love the film as evidence that it's an objectively bad film and I need to 'admit it'.

"That lousy Indiana Jones in name only movie. Razzie Award nominated! I'm so proud of the worldwide hate of Dial! So proud! If you love Indy, you must hate Skull and Dial!"

^Some of you may know who I'm mimicking.
;)

fedoraboy

for sure the nomination is unfair. it wasn't a bad movie but it wasn't very good either. the kingdom followed the crusade while dial the kingdom. the nomination was unfair. of course again many people argue like my friends and my father that not it reminded me of indy movie. closing my text i want to say something. there are no more people in hollywood to design a good indy movie. an example you may disagree with. the tuk tuk looks like the motorcycle crusade because of the vehicles. spielberg made a very good scene without exaggerations while the tuk tuk is full of excesses that don't match with indy. attention the tuk tuk scene I like it but on DVD I put the motorcycle again and not the tuk tuk
I'd agree with you that it's not a bad movie. I'd disagree with your opinion that it wasn't very good. I thought it was good, maybe even really good. The Razzies are just jumping on the internet-hate-pile-on, it's got nothing to do with the actual quality of the film. I've not met anyone in real life who watched it and didn't enjoy it -anecdotal evidence of course, but I've seen plenty of mediocre to terrible films and Dial really isn't one of them.

I honestly think if the wind had been blowing in the other direction, if the marketing had been stronger, if they'd not premiered at Cannes and so the internet trolls hadn't been allowed to control the narrative for 6+ weeks etc, then the film could have done respectable business at the BO. It was clearly never destined for billions, but it could have avoided being "The biggest flop EVER!!" and the Razzies wouldn't have paid it any attention.

Dr.Jonesy

I'd agree with you that it's not a bad movie. I'd disagree with your opinion that it wasn't very good. I thought it was good, maybe even really good. The Razzies are just jumping on the internet-hate-pile-on, it's got nothing to do with the actual quality of the film. I've not met anyone in real life who watched it and didn't enjoy it -anecdotal evidence of course, but I've seen plenty of mediocre to terrible films and Dial really isn't one of them.
The thing is - why weren't any of the Star Wars sequels, particularly Rise of Skywalker or Solo nominated? Surely the internet pile-on was way worse for the ST. But yet, the Razzies didn't nominate them for a single 'award'.

I just kinda feel this Indy-disdain in particular from them.

FordFan

While we often talk about how hard it is to come up with a good Indy sequel, I always thought a good sequel to Top Gun was next to impossible. How do you make a film that’s modern that also acknowledges the 80s cheese, while also not making fun of it? And yet somehow, they not only made a good sequel, but a great one that’s better than the original.

I think part of the creative process on Indiana Jones films (even on Raiders) has always been… let’s get the script to a good enough point, and then when we’re on the set, let’s improve it as we go. Whereas with Top Gun, I feel like they knew it all had to be locked in during preproduction or they weren’t making it.

Sometimes I wish they had just waited on Indy 4 and gotten it to a perfect point, and just given us one final great installment. But the fun of these movies has also been the spontaneity of them on set.

fedoraboy

The thing is - why weren't any of the Star Wars sequels, particularly Rise of Skywalker or Solo nominated? Surely the internet pile-on was way worse for the ST. But yet, the Razzies didn't nominate them for a single 'award'.
I think RoS escaped because it was successful (albeit less so that it's predecessors). I'm not sure about the narrative around Solo TBH, but did it sort of disappear without anyone noticing - also it was generally well reviewed, wasn't it? But, yeah, I think the internet KK hate at it's peak combined with very well publicised BO failure makes it ripe for the razzies, they won't let a little fact like the film being pretty darn good get in the way of them roasting it.

Dr.Jonesy

I think RoS escaped because it was successful (albeit less so that it's predecessors). I'm not sure about the narrative around Solo TBH, but did it sort of disappear without anyone noticing - also it was generally well reviewed, wasn't it?
Right, but so was Indy. And maybe the hate for KK wasn't quite at peak - but damn, the backlash against The Last Jedi was massive and was definitely something that you'd think the Razzies would've capitalized on for headlines.

IndyBuff

I really didn't like the film at all. I've also never cared about the Razzies (or the Oscars for that matter), as all of these award shows are pretty pointless.

Face_Melt

So many awful sequels this year.

Ant Man 3
Shazam 2
Aquaman 2
Fast X

I could go on and on.

But instead they nominated Indy 5… a film with good reviews from BOTH critics and audiences because why? Ford old.

Also LOL at 5 films “beating a dead horse”. That’s literally just getting warmed up for franchises these days.

FordFan

How much expectation did you place on any of those? Ford old? He was the only thing in the movie the critics heaped praise on.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Franchises that hit their lowest point on RT last year:

Guardians of the Galaxy (82%)
Indiana Jones (70%)
Hunger Games (64%)
Trolls (60%)
Magic Mike (48%)
Ant-Man (46%)
Expendables (14%)