Related to the username meaning thread

Why use a nick-name at all online?

Just to maybe start a conversation that WON'T set people at each others throats....

Why not use yer real name online? I mean it's not like who you really are is hard to find out anyway.... so why make-up a name on a forum, or a blog, when you have a perfectly useable name already?

Johan

Why? Because its fun. I hear my name enough in my daily life, the Raven is often a place to get away from reality. Of course I would not expect you to use another name because you are all about the "facts". You should get some adventure in your life CH. Remember...Indiana isn't his real name either. How appropriate a place to have a fake name!

Last edited:

roundshort

IndyJohan said:
Why? Because its fun. I hear my name enough in my daily life, the Raven is often a place to get away from reality. Of course I would not expect you to use another name because you are all about the "facts". You should get some adventure in your life CH.

Yeah, this is a site about a FICTIONAL movie, CH your statements are like saying, why didn't Lucas just use Harrison Ford's and Karen Allens real names after all, they have perfectly good names. I for one, use this site as a little escape form work 5 minutes or so at a time. Having huge ADHD, the little diversion into fantasy land after dealing with folks at my winery or on the hone, actually makes me more focused and productive. But, he does have a point, when the Officials of the Department of Homeland Security ( the people who tap our phone lines here in the US,) and trolling the internet for 14 year old girls, I am sure ouor identies are about as safe a bag of chocolate chip cookies at a fat farm.

You guys need to relax... it's just a question.... to spark a little conversation.... here... have a frigg'n drink and chill....

"why didn't Lucas just use Harrison Ford's and Karen Allens real names"
There's a big difference between getting paid to play a character in a movie or on stage, and putting yourself out on the internet for all who care to, to see.... Why do you think it's such bad form and people get looked down on so much should they, for example, refer to an actor by his character name?!?!

(That will sometimes happen during the rehearsal process, but that has more to do with "method" than anything else.. Out in the real world, it's very gauche)

"I am sure ouor(sic.) identies(sic.) are about as safe"
Your identity is NEVER safe if you're online.... IF someone really wants to find out who you are, they can quite easily.... So don't let using a nick-name fool ya..... Heh

"Because its fun"
Fair 'nuff

"You should get some adventure in your life CH"
You don't know FK all about my life, that I haven't told you and don't you forget it....

Johan

take it easy man. I know the internet has an inability to do so...but I said it lighthearted. Sorry for my online sarcasm. I don't want this to turn into a nasty thread either.

Paden

roundshort said:
I am sure ouor identies are about as safe a bag of chocolate chip cookies at a fat farm.
Slightly OT, but I have to admit that this is one of the funniest comments I've read here in some time.
ClintonHammond said:
You don't know FK all about my life, that I haven't told you and don't you forget it....
It's good to see that we're striving to avoid any overt hostility here at The Raven. ;)

IndyBuff

Using a different name is just something that some of us do for fun. Like IndyJohan mentioned, I know my name and I hear it enough in the real world. When I'm here I like to see something different than my real name posted.:)

Just because there might be a hint of 'bad words', doesn't necessarily mean that there's hostility.... In the kitchen of language, 'profanity' is the habenero.

IndyJohan and I could probably BOTH stand to relax on each other a little, cause we've argued in the past, and likely approach each others posts from a pre-concieved POV now....

"I said it lighthearted"
'Tone of voice' is the one thing that people most often get wrong when reading something online.... as we say on the rugby pitch, "no blood, no foul... Game on!"

Can we all get back on topic now?!?!

"is just something that some of us do for fun."
Fair nuff... any other ideas/opinions?

roundshort

'Tone of voice' is the one thing that people most often get wrong when reading something online.... as we say on the rugby pitch, "no blood, no foul... Game on!"

As Duke LaX players say . . .no DNA no Crime, game on!

Doc Savage

Doc Savage...6'6", bronze-skinned Herculean genius billionaire
Logan McCulloch...5'11", pale-as-a-ghost Herculean genius yet to attain billionaire status.

In my case it's all about the height, the bucks, and the tan, Clint.

Doc Savage

ClintonHammond said:
Who's "Clint"? :)

One of my favourite waitresses at my local is a "McCulloch"

The systems tech I work with is from Windsor. I used to do some pro-wrestling, and she used to live down the street from the Hart family. She says she even gave her dog to the Harts when she moved to the States. Go figure.

Pale Horse

Staff member
ClintonHammond said:
Why use a nick-name at all online?

Guilt, mostly
biggrin.gif

...so why make-up a name on a forum, or a blog, when you have a perfectly useable name already?

Perfectly useable. How.... prurient.

(no comments concerning Pale Horse, please)

Abe Vayoda

I usually do use my real name, or at least my real last name, but I liked this character from a Conan skit so much I adopted it on my internet identities. I've even got t-shirts and mugs with the Abe Vayoda identity. So now my friends in the real world know me as Abe Vayoda.

westford

Pseudonymity?anonymity that hides a person behind an online persona via a username?is common online. Many internet users have a number of different identities they use online, to allow them to explore different aspects of their persona, interests or hobbies. But pseudonymity is also the key to membership systems as well, as it allows members of the community to learn to identify other members they like or dislike based upon their behaviors and personality. Pseudononymous systems strike a balance between people?s needs to obscure their identities online, while still allowing them to build reputations in those usernames. These systems have been shown to work very well for an online community.

People build reputations in their usernames, and so their reputation becomes something they value and want to protect. Members who have an investment in something within your community are far less likely to blow that investment through inappropriate, negative behavior.

Source.

Well, I dunno about that last part - some people here don't seem to care about their online reputation... ;)

vaxer

Moderator Emeritus
there are 24 letters in my name (excluding my middle names)... so vaxer's good.

also I don't like to be googleable, that's whay I dislike using my real name.