RIP Maj. Eaton, RIP

Pale Horse

Staff member
As posted elsewhere

Actor William Hootkins Has Passed Away at Age 58

According to Whatsonstage.com, actor William Hootkins died from cancer last Sunday at St. Johns Hospital in Santa Monica at the age of 58. We all remember Bill Hootkins (or "Hoot" to his friends) as Major Eaton in Raiders of the Lost Ark; one of the two men from the Army Intelligence who informed Indy of the Nazis' search for the Lost Ark, and delivered one of the film's...most famous lines: "Top men."

This is indeed a heavy day for the brotherhood...

Stoo

Hootkins also played Porkins, one of the X-wing pilots, in "Star Wars"
and I also remember him being in a movie called "Hardware" about some
crazy, rampaging robot.

Junior Jones

That's too bad. He was still relatively young. It's always sad when anyone dies.

Coincidentally, I just happened to have watched his other Indiana Jones performance earlier this week. In the Barcelona segment of Espionage Escapades he played the part of Serge Diaghilev. He really chewed up the scenery, it was enjoyable to watch.

roundshort

Well, heck there goes my day! I always laugh my ass (can we say ass? I forgot) when I saw the pudgy F'er stuffed in an X-Wing cockpit, We have very strict rules about the size of folk who fly our fighters today, I guess those rules were relaxed for him, I always thought he had a bucket of KFC in the X-wing with him

Almost there ..... Almost there ...... Almost there....

Well he is there now!

Indyologist

RIP to one of the "top men" who played a minor character in Raiders.

Sigh... wonder who'll be next to go in the Indy saga? I'll be upset in a big way when major cast members from the films begin to drop like flies... :(

Pale Horse

Staff member
temple of john said:
I don't mean to come across as "Mr. Insensitive" but, why is this such a tragedy?

It's a tragedy because now only two people know where the ark is. Musgrove and the crate man. Life goes on indeed, but I posted this to get geeky fandom riled up on the implications of no longer having Maj. Eaton.

Joe Brody

Pale Horse said:
It's a tragedy because now only two people know where the ark is. Musgrove and the crate man. Life goes on indeed, but I posted this to get geeky fandom riled up on the implications of no longer having Maj. Eaton.

And what are the odds that the actor that played Musgrove is still kicking it?

KDuncan

Actor William Hootkins Has Passed Away at Age 58

According to Whatsonstage.com, actor William Hootkins died from cancer last Sunday at St. Johns Hospital in Santa Monica at the age of 58. We all remember Bill Hootkins (or "Hoot" to his friends) as Major Eaton in Raiders of the Lost Ark; one of the two men from the Army Intelligence who informed Indy of the Nazis' search for the Lost Ark, and delivered one of the film's...most famous lines: "Top men."

Oh, that's sad.. if any of you read the Nicknames thread, I pointed out my "Dingodilelover" (DDL) name, well, Hootkins voiced Dingodile originally. :(

Pale Horse

Staff member
Joe Brody said:
And what are the odds that the actor that played Musgrove is still kicking it?

I do belive Don Fellows is still with us, though he never struck me as much of a Mason. Barrie Holland, the archivist, who knows. I doubt he even knew the crate was holing a radio for speaking to God.

Stoo

Junior Jones said:
Coincidentally, I just happened to have watched his other Indiana Jones performance earlier this week. In the Barcelona segment of Espionage Escapades he played the part of Serge Diaghilev. He really chewed up the scenery, it was enjoyable to watch.
Thanks for reminding me about this as it is one of the episodes
I don't watch very often. Yes, Hootkins was fantastic in the role
and it really showed off his fine acting abilities.

spohlso

It's kind of wierd, but this guy was in 3 movies with Harrison Ford (Star Wars, Raiders and Hanover Street.) Major Eaton in Raiders, Beef in Hanover Street and Porkins in Star Wars. So he was Eaton, Beef and Porkins.

(Also, as mentioned before he was Eckhardt in Batman. Garrick Hagon who played Biggs Darklighter in Star Wars was the 'tourist dad' in the beginning of Batman. That means the first Rebel pilot to die in the Death Star battle and the last one to die were both in the first 20 minutes of Batman.)