Ripper (Marion and Sallah must have needed the cash)

The Drifter

Anyone remember those crappy old FMV games of the early 90s? They were games that were on the new CD-rom format and were more like movies with a sprinkle of interactivity than actual games.
Here is one called Ripper and it starred Christopher Walken, Burgess Meredith, Karen Allen and John Rhys-Davies. How cool would it have been if they made an Indiana Jones FMV back in the day starring Ford?

DocWhiskey

Lonsome_Drifter said:
I think the video needs a little more cowbell, don't you?

You got it.
morecowbell.gif

The Drifter

Indyologist said:
What's an FMV?

It stands for Full Motion Video. Alot of video games back in the day took advantage of the cd-rom's capabilities and made alot of crappy games with very little interactivity.

Finn said:
Which one of them? The vid works, as does the gateway below it.
What is a gateway? Do you mean the link below the video I posted?

Finn

Staff member
Lonsome_Drifter said:
What is a gateway? Do you mean the link below the video I posted?
Yep. I just tried to avoid making the sentence look repetitive.

Agent Z

David Patrick Kelly giving me one hellacious Dreamscape flashback there, with his demented character talking illl with a blood red sky backdrop behind him....

Kinda cool to see so many big names on there. Back in the day, FMV was to be the next big thing to bring videogames back from their early 80s crash. However, as Lonsome alluded to, the games themselves ended up being more about the sizzle than the steak, as you would mostly just sit there and watch video clips and do a few moves...to get to ...MORE video clips! Joy! *L*

I am fairly certain that there is an emulator out there for this...and, if someone is a completist of any of these actors' respective works, they can have at it soon enough.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
How cool would it have been if they made an Indiana Jones FMV back in the day
They do have Iron Phoenix live action cutscenes somewhere in the vault at Lucasfilm, from back when they made Dark Forces. If DailyMotion is blocked in your country, here’s the Ripper trailer on YouTube.