Rob MacGregor's books

deckard24

DIrishB said:
I definitely recommend reading them in order, though it can be difficult maintaining interest for casual fans all the way through. MacGregor's novels are all ok, some much better than others, but none are terrible. Still, by the sixth one, even his brisk pacing and absorbing style as an author (which worked so well early on) was wearing thin. However, I still enjoy MacGregor's run overall. Some really good stuff came out of those six novels.

Then came Martin Caidin, who wrote flight manuals with light shadings of Indiana Jones as James Bond. WTF? It took me more time to read these two novels than the other 10 combined, merely because they were so ludicrously boring, the characters unbelievably uninteresting (and Indy not being Indy at all), and the writing was paced like a crippled snail.

Max McCoy's were all quite good, easily the best author overall. Everything that's been said about McCoy's has been said, but its worth reading these four novels.

If you can't be bothered to wade through the first 8 books to get to McCoy's final four in the series, then just skip MacGregor's and Caidins (skip Caidin's no matter what, you'll be better off for it) and read McCoy's. Again, overall, though, MacGregor's six books are all worth at least a read.
Thanks for the insight!:hat:

I'm starting book 4 of MacGreor's series so I'll most likely read through book six, but regarding Caidin that's not at all the first time I've heard it, so maybe I'll skip them. I read Hollow Earth a while back and enjoyed that, so I'm glad to hear more positives regarding his other books.

Morning Bell

deckard24 said:
Thanks for the insight!:hat:

I'm starting book 4 of MacGreor's series so I'll most likely read through book six, but regarding Caidin that's not at all the first time I've heard it, so maybe I'll skip them. I read Hollow Earth a while back and enjoyed that, so I'm glad to hear more positives regarding his other books.

Caiden's book were okay but just lacked the excitement of the others. The White Witch is the better of the two, in my opinion, but I just never felt like he did a very good job really capturing the character and spirit of the others. They have some good parts that you might enjoy but they do require some patience to wade through.

DIrishB

Morning Bell said:
Caiden's book were okay but just lacked the excitement of the others. The White Witch is the better of the two, in my opinion, but I just never felt like he did a very good job really capturing the character and spirit of the others. They have some good parts that you might enjoy but they do require some patience to wade through.

White Witch is better than Sky Pirates, I agree. Both are easily the worst of the twelve Indy novels (released so far), but White Witch is far and away better than Sky Pirates.

Reading Sky Pirates convinced me that Martin Caidin loved planes so much he wanted to marry one and make sweet, sweet love to it...wait...is that the Cylons' plan? ;)

deckard24

Morning Bell said:
Well maybe I'll check them out, and if they're really poor I can always skip ahead to McCoy! Thanks for the insight!:hat:

For you guys that have read them, aside from MacGregor do you need to read all the stories sequentially, or with Caidin and McCoy can you skip around?

Morning Bell

deckard24 said:
Well maybe I'll check them out, and if they're really poor I can always skip ahead to McCoy! Thanks for the insight!:hat:

For you guys that have read them, aside from MacGregor do you need to read all the stories sequentially, or with Caidin and McCoy can you skip around?

Caiden's two books feature the same female character, so it helps to read them in order but it's not absolutely necessary. McCoy's books features a small sub-plot with a crystal skull (not the one from the film) that flows throughout the four novels and makes more sense if you read them in order.

You can read them in any order you like but I find it easier to keep track of everything when they're read chronologically.:)

Dyonus

Peril at Delphi seemed to have more action towards the end than Dance of the Giants did, but it was very brief. Cool, but way too brief. I guess I'm expecting too much because I keep expecting stuff like the tank battle in Last Crusade or the convoy battle in Raiders of the Lost Ark.

At the VERY least, I would like just a boss battle (I call them that because of my experience with video games, but I mean like...the technician in Raiders, the big Thuggee in Doom, and...not sure about Last Crusade or Crystal Skulls).

It's not because fighting is difficult to describe in books. Some authors have character duke it out pretty well. Fists, guns, magic, etc. MacGregor doesn't do that much.

But I started the MacGregor books, I plan on finishing them. I may go to McCoy before the second guy and come back to the second guy later, but I want some action!
Dyonus is online now Edit/Delete Message

Goonie

I finally finished reading the 6 MacGregor books (that is, until the new one comes out). I think I liked Seven Veils, Genesis Deluge, and Unicorn's Legacy the best. Interior World was a little bizarre. The first one I had of the six was Dance of the Giants and read that one first. Then I ended up getting a copy of Delphi and read the rest in order. Gonna read Caidin's books next. From reading the back of Sky Pirates, the premise sounds a little like Sky Captain.

Irfaan

Goonie said:
I finally finished reading the 6 MacGregor books (that is, until the new one comes out). I think I liked Seven Veils, Genesis Deluge, and Unicorn's Legacy the best. Interior World was a little bizarre. The first one I had of the six was Dance of the Giants and read that one first. Then I ended up getting a copy of Delphi and read the rest in order. Gonna read Caidin's books next. From reading the back of Sky Pirates, the premise sounds a little like Sky Captain.

That's what I did. I recieved books 2,4,5,6 of Rob MacGregor and have only read 2 a while ago. After all the references dance of the giants did to the first book I had to buy 1 and 3 because I never knew there would be a chronological order making references. I have all of max McCoys (except for Dinosaur eggs) and all of the other author.

I just received Peril at Delphi and Dinosaur eggs (which i wasn't going to buy until you guys recommended, thanks) from the same ebayer (good timing because I ordered on Friday!) and the seven veils I ordered from amazon so that should be coming soon as well.

Thanks for all the help raveners! Can't wait to start Delphi!

MCgreagors books are fantatic! You just have to get a little in to them. They are rather boring at the begining and they take a little reading to really relate to the story but give them a chance they really great.

StoneTriple

Goonie said:
The first one I had of the six was Dance of the Giants and read that one first. Then I ended up getting a copy of Delphi and read the rest in order.

I read the MacGregor novels in that same order. That's not a tough out-of-order read at all because Peril At Delphi makes a nice sort of prequel to Dance of the Giants. The McCoy novels, on the other hand, are a little tougher to follow if you go out of order.

Morning Bell

MacGregor's novels work best when read in order, although it's not absolutely necessary, with the exception of Dance of the Giants and The Seven Veils, mainly because of Deirdre.