Roles in which the Actor Disappears

deckard24

So many great choices already mentioned!

I'd have to go with Oldman as well in virtually anything he's been in.

The same for Daniel Day Lewis especially There Will Be Blood, Last of the Mohicans, My Left Foot, and The Boxer.

Johnny Depp for POTC, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Edward Scissorhands.

Christian Bale in The Machinist, American Pyscho, Rescue Dawn, Batman Begins, Harsh Times, and The Prestige.

Lastly Russell Crowe for Gladiator, The Insider, A Beautiful Mind, Master and Commander, and Amercian Ganster.

I'm sure more will come to me!

jonesissparrow said:
Andy Hardy series
Lewis Stone as Judge Hardy
Nice, I would've never thought of this. Lewis Stone is Judge Hardy. I can't get past Judge Hardy in disguise in Stone's other roles in Queen Christina or Red-Headed Woman.
On another note, I never thought I would look forward to the lessons he delivers in the Andy Hardy series. They're a fascinating portal to the morality of another time. I once saw a public service announcement where Stone spoke directly to the camera. Felt like I was Andy Hardy himself!

DocWhiskey

The late Heath Ledger as The Joker in this summer's "The Dark Knight". His performance pretty much defines this thread. And the film isn't even out yet...
jokes2uq4.gif

joke2sl5.png

"You'll see, I'll show you."

Athenee

Rumpled Fedora said:
When I watched the original Indiana Jones trilogy, I always felt Harrison Ford was Indy. I was completely unaware of the acting. It was only until the latest installment that I felt that Ford was playing Indiana Jones, and wasn't really the character. (my highlighting)
I can't agree here--nineteen years have passed. Indy has changed, not necessarily for the better. I think Harrison became an Indy who is more cynical, depressed, and isolated (for a reason).

When he talks with Stanforth, we learn that Marcus Body and Henry Sr. have died. After Abner Ravenwood, Brody was probably his closest professional advisor. Maybe we can assume that Junior & Senior vacationed together after LC (...fishing in Scotland, touring scotch distilleries, debunking the Loch Ness monster...or not), so losing his father just when he could relate to him on an adult level had to have been gut-wrenching for him.

And remember, Indy is a man of his era: guys just didn't emote or express their feelings (or admit to feeling emotions) back then.

In that respect, I think Harrison is still Indiana Jones, nineteen years later. The cynicism, depression, and isolation get blown out of the water (uh, literally) when Marion drives the DUKW off the cliff, and with good reason. His life has just handed him a new path to take. The attitudes appeared to peel off of HF/Indy like layers of an onion.

He still has right intention: the Crystal Skull asked him to return it to the Others at Akator. Indy has to do that without endangering Marion, Mutt, and Ox, and keep the location secret from the Russians. Let's be honest: after you've telepathically conversed with an alien skull, do you *seriously* think they don't have means of defending themselves from people who have wrong intentions? (Belloq and the Nazis, Donovan and Isla all had wrong intentions, as did Spalko. The neurons that saw TOD have died, so I can't recall who got their comeuppance there.)

Katarn07

- Heath Ledger as the Joker
- Johnny Depp in a lot of his roles, most notably Edward Scissorhands, Captain Jack Sparrow, and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
- Joaquin Phoenix as Commodus
- Gary Oldman in everything I've seen him in (he's never the same character!)

Niteshade007

Nez, you're dead on about Norton in Primal Fear. It's a very eerie performance.

Depp truly became Captain Jack Sparrow in the first Pirates film. He did a good job with the others, but perhaps because the role brought him so much fame, or perhaps because it just wasn't the same, I knew I was watching Johnny Depp.

Agent Z said:
See KOTCS's very own Cate Blanchett as well...from Queen Elizabeth, to a young apathetic Bob Dylan, to a southern fortune teller, to a psychic Russian agent femme fatale...and on and on...she is a master of blending into each and every role. (y)

I love Blanchett, I really do, but lately I've been feeling that I'm watching Cate Blanchett doing a different accent in each of her films. The one film that I can think of where she totally becomes her character is The Talented Mr. Ripley. Everything about her is so perfect in that movie, I forget that it's her. While I think she does a good job in everything she does, I've never quite gotten lost in her roles like I did with that one.

One that I would like to add to the list is Kim Novak in Vertigo. What's interesting about this is that she plays two characters, and I completely believe her as the first but not the second. As Madeline Elster, she is so coolly seductive, so innocent, so scared, so many things that you forget it's Kim Novak. For the second half of the film, she becomes Judy Barton, but for that I am always aware that it's Kim Novak with a dye job (or possibly a wig, I can't tell). But she is absolutely brilliant in the first half of the film. Which, is quite impressive, considering Hitchcock hated her and didn't want her in the film.

nezobiwan

Niteshade007 said:
One that I would like to add to the list is Kim Novak in Vertigo.
Talk about dead on! The first few times I watched the movie I could have sworn it was two different actresses!

jonesissparrow

TheMutt92 said:
Humphrey Bogart in Treasure of the Sierra Madre. Always forget its him every time I watch it!

I agree I was about to put him on down on my list because for me he was so different from the hard boiled cynic he plays on Casablanca or the Maltese Falcon here he's a cynic but a paranoia that makes his performance the more realistic!

Walter Huston was another who just disappeared into his character especially the scene where he discovers where the gold is hidden and the other two men don't see it right away and he dances merrily and laughing at their faces.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3w4B7QxL_n4&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3w4B7QxL_n4&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

47.11-warner.jpg

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KE0syP33Rnk&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KE0syP33Rnk&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Eric Solo

Kathy Bates has played many different roles and diappears into ALL of them. She was so good in Misery that she could have been typecast for the rester of her life like Anthony Perkins was. But she is so talented that she can pull off any role.

nezobiwan

Eric Solo said:
Kathy Bates has played many different roles and diappears into ALL of them. She was so good in Misery that she could have been typecast for the rester of her life like Anthony Perkins was. But she is so talented that she can pull off any role.
Yeah poor Anthony Perkins. He was just too awesome at being Norman Bates.

The Whip

Anthony Hopkins as Hannibal Lector

Jack Nicholson in... The Shinning, A Few Good Men, One Flew Over the Cooku's Nest

Marlon Brando in the Godfather

Al Pacino in the Godfather Part II

Ralph Feinnes in Schindler's List

Goonie

Joaquin Phoenix as the Unibomber's cousin:

Joaquin-Letterman3.jpg

I'm surprised the Department of Homeland Security hasn't approached him yet.

(He's got to be acting out some sort of Borat-type movie, there's no other logical explantion for it, especially if Casey Affleck is following him with a camera)